Society/Culture Hypocrisy of The Left - part 3

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
The act of taxation to pay for public welfare spending projects is taking directly of the effort of those with to give to those with less.

I don't think anyone disputes that.
But you didn’t say ‘those with less’ originally, you said ‘the left’. So welfare driven taxation spending is for the Left?

Obviously you can’t have meant that, so I assume you must have been invoking the common straw man argument that the Left advocates equality of outcomes irrespective of opportunity and merit. No?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tayl0r

AFL Club
Fremantle
Moderator #2,327
But you didn’t say ‘those with less’ originally, you said ‘the left’. So welfare driven taxation spending is for the Left?

Obviously you can’t have meant that, so I assume you must have been invoking the common straw man argument that the Left advocates equality of outcomes irrespective of opportunity and merit. No?
I was walking along the path that the left is happy to commit the hard work of other people for their benefit.

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Well, I guess being able to borrow a large sum of money from his parents to invest in his business would be one as that option available to relatively few people would be one example

Do you think that he would have ended up where he is now regardless of what his circumstances were? Or even if they were the same, that things would have panned out the way they did?

its free real estate

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well, I guess being able to borrow a large sum of money from his parents to invest in his business would be one as that option available to relatively few people would be one example

Do you think that he would have ended up where he is now regardless of what his circumstances were? Or even if they were the same, that things would have panned out the way they did?
Bezos was born to a teenage mother, and his father left the family when he was an infant. It’s a bit strange to say he was lucky. Not exactly privileged circumstances.

A number of decisions his mum and adoptive father had to make to ensure he was brought up right enabled him to succeed.

Is there a good parenting privilege?

Noidenous

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Manchester UTD
Sorry, I'm not. If you are attending University you are in the minority of people able to get further education and are far more likely to be senior figures in industries and politics than those who aren't. How exactly are they vulnerable, as you put it?
Privileged under vigilante enforcement, and vulnerable when it suits the argument.

Noidenous

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Manchester UTD
You're reading things into my posts that aren't there. This one is an absolute straw man.
Bringing the lottery into it was one hell of a strawman.

You're arguing like a woman. Soon as you don't like the content, you go rogue and demand the conversation be set around a different set of terms.

Transparent.

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Bringing the lottery into it was one hell of a strawman.

You're arguing like a woman. Soon as you don't like the content, you go rogue and demand the conversation be set around a different set of terms.

Transparent.
Really? That's where you're going with your argument?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tayl0r

AFL Club
Fremantle
Moderator #2,340
Lol

Check out the story of Abraham’s trusted servant Eliezer who chose Rivka to be Isaac’s wife — all because of her kindness.”

She was 3 years old.
I can only imagine what future societies will judge the actions of now over.

I expect it will be the medical treatment but the only word I have to say on that is a video of a doctor from the future who was rescuing his colleague from having a hole drilled in his head to relieve intra cranial pressure caused by a fall on an aircraft carrier.

AFL Club
Carlton
Admin #2,342
Absolutely, he needed a large dollop of luck along the way too. Same with Zuckerberg, Gates, Trump or anyone else who has managed to accumulate massive amounts of money. That's not to say that hard work and accurate foresight played no part though.
The question then is what is hard work and what is accurate foresight? How far can it get you without something more?

A child in a Victorian work house could have worked their fingers to the bone, knowing the end was death of some disease or other. Where did that hard work and accurate foresight get them?

As per the Marks quote - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/hypocrisy-of-the-left-part-3.1204489/post-59281744 - your foresight could have been totally accurate based on all of the possibly available information. But randomness is not available information and your impeccable analysis and prediction could be undone by a mouse chewing a wire two streets over. Or not chewing a wire. Or a drunk driver. Or a lawyer not reading the law properly.

Events out of your control, even if known about (mice do chew wires, people do drink and drive, lawyers do make mistakes), are unpredictable in their timing and effect.

Last edited:

its free real estate

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
The question then is what is hard work and what is accurate foresight?

A child in a Victorian work house could have worked their fingers to the bone, knowing the end was death of some disease or other. Where did that hard work and accurate foresight get them?
You use such poor analogies.

As per the Marks quote - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/hypocrisy-of-the-left-part-3.1204489/post-59281744 - your foresight could have been totally accurate based on all of the possibly available information. But randomness is not available information and your impeccable analysis and prediction could be undone by a mouse chewing a wire two streets over. Or not chewing a wire. Or a drunk driver. Or a lawyer not reading the law properly.

Events out of your control, even if known about (mice chew wires, people drink and drive, lawyers make mistakes), are unpredictable in their timing and effect.
As someone who runs a website, and has done so for 20 years, surely you know about redundancy?

its free real estate

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Luck only works if by some roll of the dice a different outcome is possible. But this is not possible for who you are born to. You cannot be born as anyone other than yourself.

If you are born to wealthy or poor parents, this is not luck.

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Luck only works if by some roll of the dice a different outcome is possible. But this is not possible for who you are born to. You cannot be born as anyone other than yourself.

What is it then? Good management? A reward or punishment for a good or bad previous life?

Socrates2

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
Wtf is this thread about ,was it started by some rich private school kid who got brought up with pictures of Alexander Downer in his house? Or is it just a guy who can't find a girlfriend and believes in conspiracy theories? If you wanna talk ScoMo, there's no doubt the hypocracy of claiming yo be a Christian, but doesn't have any Christian values in his policy.For me though, it is this current govenments appalling record on real climate change policy.A disgrace that a rich western country like us is setting such a terrible example to countries we influence.

kranky al

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth www.pixelpac.com.au

I dunno - i was born to a wealthy family - i reckon im lucky af

Especially seeing as it was in australia and not some shitistan place.

I see people born to poor families and how unlucky that is - they dont have 1/10th of the opportunities ive had.

Top Bottom