Society/Culture Hypocrisy of The Left - part 3

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
But don't let the government tell you what you can do in the bedroom...

Paywall, or at least 'make an account to view the article'. I'm not doing that.

Hypocrisy? Kind of, if you squint. It's kind of half way between telling people to wear a condom and criminalising homosexual sex.

Left wing, though?

Hypocrisy? Kind of, if you squint. It's kind of half way between telling people to wear a condom and criminalising homosexual sex.

Left wing, though?
Scientific health advice apparently counts as left wing these days.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

Left wing, though?
How is the fairly obvious and banal statement that sexual contact could lead to virus transmission halfway between the suggestion to wear a confrom, another fairly obvious and benal statement that sexual contact can lead to disease transmission, and the criminalisation of homosexual sex?

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
How is the fairly obvious and banal statement that sexual contact could lead to virus transmission halfway between the suggestion to wear a confrom, another fairly obvious and benal statement that sexual contact can lead to disease transmission, and the criminalisation of homosexual sex?
Where is halfway between 3 statements?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Because it's dictating sexual conduct between two consensual partners by a government.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
"Dictating"?

How was anything being dictated to anyone? It was just a suggestion.
I have a question. If a state 'suggests' something, are citizens not compelled towards doing it?

I don't disagree with you that this is relatively minor as far as things go. What I am saying is that a state shouldn't be making 'suggestions' about sexual conduct.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I have a question. If a state 'suggests' something, are citizens not compelled towards doing it?

I don't disagree with you that this is relatively minor as far as things go. What I am saying is that a state shouldn't be making 'suggestions' about sexual conduct.
Seriously?

If the state suggest I do something but imposes no consequences upon me if I do not, I am in no way compelled to follow that suggestion if I choose not to.

It is the role of our public health system to make suggestions to the members of the public on a whole manner of issues of health. Sexual health is one of them. It is entirely reasonable for the public health system to promote safer sexual practices.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Seriously?

If the state suggest I do something but imposes no consequences upon me if I do not, I am in no way compelled to follow that suggestion if I choose not to.

It is the role of our public health system to make suggestions to the members of the public on a whole manner of issues of health. Sexual health is one of them. It is entirely reasonable for the public health system to promote safer sexual practices.
Sure.

I really don't know why you're picking this fight with me; I don't disagree with you overly. The post you quoted was me taking an objective, even a preferential position, in favor of the post's position in the interests of arguing whether the post qualifies for this thread. Perhaps take your argument to them instead of me?

Edit: Also, poor form. Your team is actually playing my team. Couldn't we do this later?

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Sure.

I really don't know why you're picking this fight with me; I don't disagree with you overly. The post you quoted was me taking an objective, even a preferential position, in favor of the post's position in the interests of arguing whether the post qualifies for this thread. Perhaps take your argument to them instead of me?
I took issue with your comment that the suggestion to wear a mask during sex is anything even remotely akin to the state criminalising homosexuality. Because it isn't. You then asked a question of me that implied you felt that a suggestion from a state was the equivalent to a compulsion from the state. It isn't either. Stop making disagreeable comments and I'll stop disagreeing with them.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I took issue with your comment that the suggestion to wear a mask during sex is anything even remotely akin to the state criminalising homosexuality. Because it isn't. You then asked a question of me that implied you felt that a suggestion from a state was the equivalent to a compulsion from the state. It isn't either. Stop making disagreeable comments and I'll stop disagreeing with them.
I still really think your argument is with them rather than with me, but you do you I suppose.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I still really think your argument is with them rather than with me, but you do you I suppose.
Sure, it was a stupid post to begin with. But then you followed up and by the time I joined the conversation that was where it was at.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
WOW.....you really don't like Rubin

His strength is in the professionalism of his show and his ability to get some good names on as much as anything, but he does make some really good points and presents a good case,

To your point he can seem a bit out of his league at times when surrounded by great minds.
Do you still think Dave Rubin is great?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I haven't really been taking much notice of him lately, what has he done?

I am still listening to a bit of Rogan, I have seem him labelled as alt-right a bit lately which is humorous.
Rubin is a buffoon. He casts himself as a commentator who knows something about politics, which is ridiculous. Rogan doesn't do that. Although he sometimes dips his toe in those waters, unconvincingly.

Rogan is essentially an honest, well-intentioned meathead who is interested in conversation with a range of guests. Rubin is a grifter who can't stick the landing.

Last edited:

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
What is the Rubin Report? It's a place for free thinkers...

There's your cue to pack up and leave right there. A free thinker shouldn't need to tell their audience they are - their audience should be able to see it for themselves.

That so many of these right wing commentators need to self assure they are free thinkers should set off alarm bells.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Left wing, though?

Here's a helpful hint: Press the 'esc' key as soon as the page loads to where you can see the body of the article. This will stop any further scripts from loading on the page, including subscriber popup.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon

Left wing, though?
It turns out giving advice is the equivalent of being told what to do in the bedroom.

That a poster thinks whether to wear face masks is a political right/left wing thing says more about the poster and whether they want a legitimate debate than anything else.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rubin is a buffoon. He casts himself as a commentator who knows something about politics, which is ridiculous. Rogan doesn't do that. Although he sometimes dips his toe in those waters, unconvincingly.

Rogan is essentially an honest, well-intentioned meathead who is interested in conversation with a range of guests. Rubin is a grifter who can't stick the landing.
Rubin is also an intellectual coward. He has clearly become a Republican (whether this is legitimate or just a grifting con is still up for debate), but he doesn't want to lose the "But I'm a gay California liberal!" card to get out of any debate he starts losing.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I always had an intense dislike of Andrew O'Keefe because he carries on like a kid whose had his first beer and is excited to be drunk and let everyone know about it, not fully rational, so glad to have something to righteously hate on him for.

Seriously I don't know how he has such a big media career, I get physically uncomfortable everytime I see him on one of these TV shows, just one weird unit.

Back