Society/Culture Hypocrisy of The Left - part 3

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Defunding the ABC? Banning discussion of CRT? Abolishing safe schools?yasmin? McIntyre? Kapaernick? Any criticism of anzacs?

Should I go on?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As I said earlier, cancel culture can be used by conservatives as well.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
"Cancel him".

How do you cancel an entire person?
Some folks wanted his special taken off air because they thought no one should be able to see it.

It wasn't sufficient to criticise or disagree or for them to simply not watch it.

No, it had to be removed. Because it was "dangerous".

That impulse is the essence of cancel culture, as has been explained to you dozens of times already.

How about folks stop trying to censor views they find "offensive"? Didn't that used to be the default liberal position?

It was ridiculous when religious nutters were doing it. And it's ridiculous when the woke left do it. Stop telling people what they can and can't see based on one particular set of sensibilities. The religious right did it with Piss Christ. Hardline Muslims did it with Salman Rushdie. The progressive left and trans activists are doing it with Dave Chappelle. It's pious, illiberal nonsense. They can all get in the sea.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
It was ridiculous when religious nutters were doing it. And it's ridiculous when the woke left do it. Stop telling people what they can and can't see based on one particular set of sensibilities. The religious right did it with Piss Christ. Hardline Muslims did it with Salman Rushdie. The progressive left and trans activists are doing it with Dave Chappelle. It's pious, illiberal nonsense. They can all get in the sea.
Another one who's been sucked in.

They have every ******* right to protest. Always quick to vomit up stuff about a 'woke left'; not enough time to consider the issue they think they know about.

"The group indicated that they plan on presenting Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos with a list of asks, including a request for a disclaimer to be added to Chappelle’s special indicating that it “contains transphobic language, misogyny, homophobia, and hate speech.” They are also requesting that the company create a fund to support trans and non-binary talent."

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Another one who's been sucked in.
Please.

They have every ******* right to protest.
Yes, they have every right to protest. And they should criticise Dave Chappelle to their heart's content. They have the same freedom to criticise as Chappelle has to air his views and Netflix has to broadcast them. And everyone else has the same freedom to support or ridicule the various arguments on either side. All of that belongs in the same basket.

But any call to have the special removed altogether (or not aired at all in the first place) is illiberal, and that impulse is an example of cancel culture. I totally accept that some Netflix staff are criticising but not in fact calling for the special to be pulled. That's fine.

My point is that people being "offended" is not a good enough reason to insist that no one else should be able to see the special. I regard that as a basic liberal premise. Because if we lean into accommodating that offence and policing speech as a result, where does it stop? Should we also remove content that causes religious offence? You inadvertently end up creating the moral framework for anti-blasphemy laws.

Always quick to vomit up stuff about a 'woke left'; not enough time to consider the issue they think they know about.
Sorry, what is your argument here?

Do you object to the term "woke left"?

"The group indicated that they plan on presenting Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos with a list of asks, including a request for a disclaimer to be added to Chappelle’s special indicating that it “contains transphobic language, misogyny, homophobia, and hate speech.” They are also requesting that the company create a fund to support trans and non-binary talent."
Again, what's your point?

I have no objection to some kind of disclaimer, although I think that particular wording is a mischaracterisation.

What did Chappelle actually say that was transphobic or constituted hate speech?

Or did he just disagree with new progressive orthodoxies around gender identity? And some folks have decided that amounts to hate speech?

This proscriptive language gets thrown around a little too casually for my liking. I mean, "transphobic" describes an irrational fear or hatred of trans people. What did he say that meets that threshold? Surely we can't use that word to describe anything that some trans people simply find offensive or disagreeable.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I always find it weird how liberals don't care about the gender gap in education. All the focus on mainstream media is about getting more women into STEM. Meanwhile boys and men fall behind at every year level.

The feminization of higher education is proceeding apace. According to a report from the National Student Clearinghouse in the United States, 1.5 million fewer students are enrolled in higher education than in 2016, with men accounting for 71 per cent of the decline. Soon, two women will graduate for every man. The report envisions no reversal of this trend.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Criticism and backlash has always existed, but now Dave Chappelle gets to go around crying 'cancel culture' and making out he's the victim when you can still watch his special and he still getting paid. It's almost as if they think you can say anything at all without any repercussions.

I gather this is what you're talking about, I wouldn't use the term 'crying' though. Maybe steadfast as in 'not going to bend'.

The 'repercussions', what is it that one would want as a repercussion? A cancellation perhaps?

FWIW, I haven't heard anyone wanting to cancel Russell Peters - depending on ones sensitivity I guess, but certainly has racial tones. If Mick Molloy was to do stand up like he does - he'd be cancelled for sure. Couldn't find anything on google search that wants Peters cancelled.

Should Russell Peters have repercussions?

What about any other stand up comic? They literally make money out of taking the piss out of people (and admit it), usually minority groups. Repercussions?

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I always find it weird how liberals don't care about the gender gap in education. All the focus on mainstream media is about getting more women into STEM. Meanwhile boys and men fall behind at every year level.

The feminization of higher education is proceeding apace. According to a report from the National Student Clearinghouse in the United States, 1.5 million fewer students are enrolled in higher education than in 2016, with men accounting for 71 per cent of the decline. Soon, two women will graduate for every man. The report envisions no reversal of this trend.

You've quoted an opinion article, from an anti-feminist who thinks feminists are angry lesbians, that had no link to to the actual report.

Did you bother to find it?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You've quoted an opinion article, from an anti-feminist who thinks feminists are angry lesbians, that had no link to to the actual report.

Did you bother to find it?

I don't subscribe to her antifeminism, that's why I lifted a bit of text that just had some of the key facts on the issue.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
So, you didn't bother to find the report?

Just the commentary from an anti-feminist who thinks feminists are angry lesbians?

Is that right?

You can confirm in 2 seconds with a Google search. I quoted this article because it appeared on my Twitter feed.

Back