Politics Hypocrisy of The Right.

Where's all the concern from conservative quarters for my gay brothers and sisters in Afghanistan? They usually come over all Peter Tatchell when it comes to gay rights in Islamic society, not a peep from them so far.
actually thats a fair point. and womens rights

Not necessarily just the right because i reckon its across the spectrum.

concern about mental health in the lockdown. mental health and concern for peoples was a domain of the bleeding hearts. Also the affected are simply soft once upon a time, but you know....

1632285221782.png

That's a dumb thing to say. If you honestly believe this, rather than just signalling to your tribe, you've lost all perspective.
It's far from a dumb thing to say, intolerance is the bread and butter of a lot of Christianity

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
You guys have lost your marbles.
Have we?
Try this imaginary exercise.
What would Afghanistan look like under Extreme Christian Right rule and then imagine Australia under Taliban rule with all the constraints imposed on it from all the other institutions such as an independent legal system and courts, freedom of the press, freedom of religion and a modern education system.
What would be the more terrifying?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Have we?
Try this imaginary exercise.
What would Afghanistan look like under Extreme Christian Right rule and then imagine Australia under Taliban rule with all the constraints imposed on it from all the other institutions such as an independent legal system and courts, freedom of the press, freedom of religion and a modern education system.
What would be the more terrifying?
We don't need an "imaginary exercise" or some convoluted counterfactual. We can observe how the Taliban governs. They oversee a medieval theocracy where girls are banned from going to school and people have limbs amputated for petty crimes.

Who specifically on the Christian right are you talking about that is equivalent to the Taliban?

Can you substantiate this outlandish claim or are you just going to "imagine" they're as bad because you like to pretend?

I have no time for any of these religions but likening some Hillsong happy clappers - or whoever you're talking about - to the Taliban is insane.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
How do you think a fundamentalist Christian theocracy would look?
Give me an example. Which Christians are we talking about? What do they preach that is equivalent to the Taliban's approach? Who are these Christians who want a medieval theocracy?

You guys seem to have bought into the misguided idea that all religious beliefs are equally regressive and any difference in outcome is simply a by-product of circumstances/environment.

The reality is that the beliefs of the Taliban are one of the reasons Afghanistan remains so backward. On the other hand, Western systems of government - more or less liberal, secular, democratic - emerged alongside Christianity. I don't mean to airbrush the struggle that was involved in that but the Taliban's belief system forbids this kind of secular, pluralistic civil society. They are incompatible in a way I don't think you could claim is true of modern Christianity, even in its most conservative expressions.

So this self-serving thought experiment of "imagine a fundamentalist Christian theorcracy" is simplistic and ahistorical. You guys want to pretend the belief systems are easily divisible from the nature of the societies they foster, allowing these belief systems to be assessed in isolation. That's a flawed approach that overlooks the way certain belief systems contribute to particular societal outcomes.

It's not an accident that the Taliban's belief system led to a medieval theocracy. Nor is it an accident that we don't have some equivalent Anglican theocracy somewhere else. The belief systems are a factor in the societies that have emerged around them.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
You don't have to look too far - the bible is the only authority.
So who are the Christians calling for something similar to the Taliban's approach?

If they don't exist, what is your argument? Is it based purely on your imagination? I mean, sure, those Christian fundamentalists who are as extreme as the Taliban would be pretty bad, if they existed. But do they? If they don't, what is your argument? Is it purely hypothetical?

Are we talking about Gilead from The Handmaid's Tale or something that actually exists?

Last edited:
Back