Opinion Hypothetical 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

But the question I put to you mate is Those 3 or BB and Cegs? It will be one or the other I recon.
If we are stacked with running power and can get the ball in quick enough ther is no way I’m playing Cegs and BB in defence
BB ruck with Patto at FF and TO at CHF.

When BB goes to the pine, TO goes to the ruck, Patto goes to CHF and Burgers to FF.

No Cegs and no BB to defence.

I think the backline is pretty settled. Only real query is if we use Frost as the FB so Hartigan doesn't get a game and DGB finds a spot. Part of me would like to see Frost given a more attacking licence away from a key tall role to see if he can go up a level as a player and become a rebounder.

The forward line is puzzling. I hope Mitch Lewis gets first crack at the KPF role and Patton has to show both form and being able to get on the park for a sustained period if he is to force him out. I don't think we can play both in the same side. I think we are best with 1 of these 2 and then BB and Cegs rest up fwd.
TOB gets a game with Gunners missing.

I think the backline is pretty settled. Only real query is if we use Frost as the FB so Hartigan doesn't get a game and DGB finds a spot. Part of me would like to see Frost given a more attacking licence away from a key tall role to see if he can go up a level as a player and become a rebounder.

The forward line is puzzling. I hope Mitch Lewis gets first crack at the KPF role and Patton has to show both form and being able to get on the park for a sustained period if he is to force him out. I don't think we can play both in the same side. I think we are best with 1 of these 2 and then BB and Cegs rest up fwd.
TOB gets a game with Gunners missing.
Frost is a BP, just happens to be 3rd Defender shape.

Definitely should have license to run/rebound, as you suggest.

If Patton is suspended or stood down, I would make one change and go with a quicker lineup.

Lewis at full forward, O’Brien as the centre half forward/second ruck, McEvoy goes back into the ruck, Ceglar goes out, an extra midfielder comes in (Cousins).

What I’d to see Round 1

B: Hardwick, Hartigan, Impey

HB: Greaves, Frost, Scrimshaw

C: Day, Mitchell, Phillips

HF: Wingard, O’Brien, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Lewis, Hanrahan

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Shiels, Scully, Grainger-Barras, Cousins

If Patton is suspended or stood down, I would make one change and go with a quicker lineup.

Lewis at full forward, O’Brien as the centre half forward/second ruck, McEvoy goes back into the ruck, Ceglar goes out, an extra midfielder comes in (Cousins).

What I’d to see Round 1

There's no prolific ball winner in that back half. No genuine class. Scrim may get there and perhaps being a bit too harsh on Jars but recognising he is on the way back from a knee. We need class there badly.

I would still like to see a mid spend time on the HBF. Someone who can rack up volume. Perhaps Day is the key as he can find it and has class. Would love OMeara to go back there and be a bit of a general there.

There's no prolific ball winner in that back half. No genuine class. Scrim may get there and perhaps being a bit too harsh on Jars but recognising he is on the way back from a knee. We need class there badly.

I would still like to see a mid spend time on the HBF. Someone who can rack up volume. Perhaps Day is the key as he can find it and has class. Would love OMeara to go back there and be a bit of a general there.
I don't think that's anywhere near one of our major problems. JO'M doesn't have the kicking skills to be that guy.

He's no Gibbo (just yet), but Greaves can find the ball as a defender & kicks well. Skrillex & Jarman are or will be bloody good footballers. Sicily to return.

It's the one area we're proven as better than average IMO.

What I’d to see Round 1

Pretending for a second that none of Brockman, SMitchell or Saunders are AFL ready by round 1, despite Hanrahan having the wheels for the small forward role, i'd still be more inclined to give it to Dylan Moore at the moment. He isn't a small forward by definition but he offers more than Ollie in other areas such as football smarts, repeat efforts and team-first mentality.

This team looks pretty realistic regardless though. Would love to see Cousins play 22 games.

Impey in 2019 form with Phillips and Day on the wings automatically makes us a far more exciting team to watch.

Pretending for a second that none of Brockman, SMitchell or Saunders are AFL ready by round 1, despite Hanrahan having the wheels for the small forward role, i'd still be more inclined to give it to Dylan Moore at the moment. He isn't a small forward by definition but he offers more than Ollie in other areas such as football smarts, repeat efforts and team-first mentality.

This team looks pretty realistic regardless though. Would love to see Cousins play 22 games.

Impey in 2019 form with Phillips and Day on the wings automatically makes us a far more exciting team to watch.
I would like to see both Hanrahan and Moore in the side. If it means Burger misses games then so be it.

I don't think that's anywhere near one of our major problems. JO'M doesn't have the kicking skills to be that guy.

He's no Gibbo (just yet), but Greaves can find the ball as a defender & kicks well. Skrillex & Jarman are or will be bloody good footballers. Sicily to return.

It's the one area we're proven as better than average IMO.
See i think without Sicily we are vanilla down back in terms of having defenders that other sides need to watch. Who other than Impey is a playmaker down there? I think Day has to stay there this year for that reason but we should also try and introduce a rotation of a mid thru there to add more punch.

In time Scrimmers and Greaves I can see being good on the rebound but they need support in 2021. Imagine we can play Sic fwd when he returns. That would be brilliant.

See i think without Sicily we are vanilla down back in terms of having defenders that other sides need to watch. Who other than Impey is a playmaker down there? I think Day has to stay there this year for that reason but we should also try and introduce a rotation of a mid thru there to add more punch.

In time Scrimmers and Greaves I can see being good on the rebound but they need support in 2021. Imagine we can play Sic fwd when he returns. That would be brilliant.
I'm kinda the other way - I'm really excited by our back 6 or 8 players.

FB: Frost........Hartigan........Hardwick
HB: Impey.....NotBigBoy.....Scrimshaw

With Day in the mix & Greaves finishing 2020 very well, Hardwick could struggle to keep his spot & that's without Sicily.

I actually think that's a bloody good backline.

With Day in the mix & Greaves finishing 2020 very well, Hardwick could struggle to keep his spot & that's without Sicily.

Starting back 6 according to wiki in the 2015 GF. How does our 2021 back compare? Not well but granted we are in a very different phase in the cycle.

Stratton Lake Frawley
Birchall Gibson Burgoyne

Hardwick Scrimmers Greaves all have their best footy ahead. That is a massive positive as all have shown something.

If Impey can get back to 2018 form then he is an asset.

Frost who knows he is 27 so can he improve? I suspect his improvement will come in a stronger side.

Hartigan is a stopper. And a stop gap.

We need more class back there. If DGB stands up as a genuine tall up back and Sicily is back then we start looking like we have a class backline in the next couple of years with 50 games into scrimmers day and greaves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DGB from all reports will start R1.

You're right, it is a good backline.

DGB from all reports will start R1.

You're right, it is a good backline.
I want DGB forward.

TO'B can play CHB: he gets to a huge amount of contests & always brings the ball to ground - that's CHB work. Sicily (later) & Skrillex can worry about intercept marks.

DGB gets to contests & marks it - that's a forward's game.

Would be surprised if Brockman doesn’t play early tbh. When I saw him at training his skills were sublime. He was already posting good tackle counts before being drafted. Impey was asked who was the fastest at the club (Puopolo was but has obviously moved on) and he said maybe Brockman. A fast, skilful and tackling forward? Exactly what we need. Hanrahan doesn’t have the pressure side and Moore is too slow/more suited as a HFF link up player.

No Lewis?

Unless both Patto and Lewis are in great form (grabs and goals) and swapping between FF and CHF with TO playing the third tall and back-up ruckman to BB, I don't see how we fit them all in, given the reduction in rotations and the lack of speed and defensive pressure they provide.

Unless both Patto and Lewis are in great form (grabs and goals) and swapping between FF and CHF with TO playing the third tall and back-up ruckman to BB, I don't see how we fit them all in, given the reduction in rotations and the lack of speed and defensive pressure they provide.
Let's do it like this then!

If we can get our best 22 to look something like this by mid-way through the year, I'll be really happy. It means we would be on the right track.

B: Frost, Hartigan, Hardwick
HB: Impey, Grainger-Barras, Scrimshaw
C: Scully, Mitchell, Phillips
HF: Wingard, O'Brien, Brockman
F: Breust, Lewis, Gunston
R: McEvoy, O'Meara, Worpel
I/C: Cousins, Shiels, Day, Burgoyne

EMG: Jiath, Maginness, Ceglar, Downie

If we get to here, we'd just need to hope we have pressure for spots on Hartigan, Scully, Burgoyne, Shiels and O'Brien from say Hartley/Koschitzke, Downie, Jiath, Maginness and Jeka. Chuck in Sicily and any acquisitions in the 2021 trade period and our side looks close to competing again.

Will be interesting to see who progresses quickest out of Greaves and CJ. Both medium defenders, Greaves more FB line and CJ more half back.
Super excited about Greaves, in an unexciting way.

I can see him playing 100+ games before an opposition fan even knows his name

CJ
Finn
Brockman
S Mitchell
Phillips
Downie
Impey
Frost
Day
Hanrahan
Saunders
Greaves is quicker than he looks.
Cuz has some zip but can blow up on repeated efforts.
DGB moves well.

We could become a very quick side with a few more of the above coming into the side. Perhaps our new premium is speed...

Phase out Burger Shiels who are plodders now as well as Scully and the tide will start to turn.

I think there are some players that might be shifting into different roles this year, especially the young guys. Moore I think we can expect to see on the wing if we see him, CJ I think will be playing a half back role rather than an aggressive, Duryea-esque, third tall. And I think Kozitsche will be, if he isnt already, training with the forwards. And I think Scrimshaw is not going to be our main intercepting option even without Sicily, he and staff have always said he models his game on Birchall, I think more run and carry this year.

With the current state of the list this is how I see R1 at this point:

FB: Hardwick Hartigan Impey
HB: Scrimshaw Frost DGB
C: Day OMeara Phillips
Foll: McEvoy Mitchell Worpel
HF: Wingard Lewis OBrien
FF: Bruest Kozitsche Hanrahan
Int: Moore Cousins Greaves CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back