Opinion Hypothetical 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope Gunston plays forever then
We will replace gunston with another player. Day is most valuable on the hbf. The game is made there. If you have class on your half back line you go a long way in becoming an attacking side. At the moment we lack that class in the side. We need more players of said class.

We will replace gunston with another player. Day is most valuable on the hbf. The game is made there. If you have class on your half back line you go a long way in becoming an attacking side. At the moment we lack that class in the side. We need more players of said class.
Sicily (when his back), impey Hardwick scrimshaw is plenty of class and run back there. Day isn’t needed there in the future.

Sicily goes OK.
Nobody matches Impey for speed/run. Scrimshaw is already good & improving. DGB will need to fit in.

Day can play up the field, where the goals happen.

Sicily goes OK.
Nobody matches Impey for speed/run. Scrimshaw is already good & improving. DGB will need to fit in.

Day can play up the field, where the goals happen.
Just like sicily going back to the back line day is in the same boat. The fact he is double sided makes him an absolute weapon back there. He can change direction and attack just by thinking of it. He is also a very good kick. The players u have listed will play along side him. Impey might start back but go forward because his attributes can be used forward. Anyways we shall see its an interesting discussion

Just like sicily going back to the back line day is in the same boat. The fact he is double sided makes him an absolute weapon back there. He can change direction and attack just by thinking of it. He is also a very good kick. The players u have listed will play along side him. Impey might start back but go forward because his attributes can be used forward. Anyways we shall see its an interesting discussion
Certainly is an interesting & fun discussion.

And the dual sidedness (it's a word, look it up!) Is a massive weapon

Gimme a washed McEvoy over ceglar any day of the week. We forgetting McEvoy last season had 17 hit outs to advantage (most in any game last year). He should be our number 1 ruck and O’Brien or Lewis can give him a chop out in the ruck if he can’t handle a full game in there. McEvoy is a very good ruck/fwd.

Are they applying the Burgoyne approach to McEvoy, a different role for longevity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day will either continue playing half back or will move to the wing. A move to the forward line doesn't make much sense to me, even in the absence of Gunston.
I'd love to see Sicily move to that position more often on his return instead of being used as an ace up the sleeve at the 11th hour.

We haven’t really seen what Day can do up the ground yet - but agree he looks a potentially elite hbf.

But at same time on the few occasions he got ball up the ground he looked great - and we certainly lack good users from midfield into forward line.

We seem to have potentially more backline options than wing so he may play a range of roles as we work out how to maximise his obvious talents.

Unless a genuine swingman, keep players in their best position. Day has played 11 games and was very good at HBF with his IQ, skill and vision able to get us out of the D50 on numerous occasions. We have other skilled players but Scimschaw and Impey are one sided and somewhat predictable with their 1st option.

Maybe those 3 are our starting HB line with Sicily out but I expect we will use Day more this year than anyone. He can go long down the line on his left if needed, with his right over the mark or on the 45 with both to open teams up.

He oozes class and I've no doubt his teammates have faith in his ability to handle any increased responsibilities. Keep him where we need him this year

If Scully is done as being suggested then I expect we would see Shiels push out to a wing which could work nicely. Would like to see Downie make it his own but hard to see a first year player being able to carry that load for a full season.

If Scully is done the Phillips pick up is even more valuable. Means we have gone from Smith Hendo and Scully to Phillips only. Pretty crazy turn of events. It wouldnt be the worst result if Scully missed a chunk of the season and then was around for the 2nd half to provide some depth when a few of the youngsters might be pushing s**t upfill with fitness and durability.

Would be quite odd for both of the GWS recruits to be gone in the same season...

If Scully is done as being suggested then I expect we would see Shiels push out to a wing which could work nicely. Would like to see Downie make it his own but hard to see a first year player being able to carry that load for a full season.

If Scully is done the Phillips pick up is even more valuable. Means we have gone from Smith Hendo and Scully to Phillips only. Pretty crazy turn of events. It wouldnt be the worst result if Scully missed a chunk of the season and then was around for the 2nd half to provide some depth when a few of the youngsters might be pushing sh*t upfill with fitness and durability.

Would be quite odd for both of the GWS recruits to be gone in the same season...
I’d like to see finn on the wing rather then shiels

Hardwick - Hartigan - Frost
Scrimshaw - DGB - Greaves

Big Boy - Mitchell - Wingard
Phillips - Worpel - Day

JOM - Jeka - Impey
Brockman - Lewis - Breust

Shiels - Finn - Downie - Cousins

No TOB, Ceglar, Patton, Burgoyne or Scully. Time for a fresh and exciting start.

Last edited:
Scrimshaw - DGB - Day

Phillips - Worpel - Downie

JOM - Jeka - Impey

Shiels - Finn - Burgoyne - Cousins

No TOB, Ceglar, Patton or Scully. Time for a fresh and exciting start.
Any idea if Jeka could play CHF or you just putting him there to get him on the field & lack of other positions to list him in?

Who is playing 2nd Ruck? Lewis?

Scrimshaw - DGB - Day

Phillips - Worpel - Downie

JOM - Jeka - Impey

Shiels - Finn - Burgoyne - Cousins

No TOB, Ceglar, Patton or Scully. Time for a fresh and exciting start.

like it. id have impey / downie at hb tho & throw day on the wing.

like it. id have impey / downie at hb tho & throw day on the wing.

Yeah I agree, I would love to see Day on a wing this year.

Scrimshaw - DGB - Greaves

Phillips - Worpel - Day

JOM - Jeka - Impey

Edit: Greaves in, Burgoyne out

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, I would love to see Day on a wing this year.

Scrimshaw - DGB - Impey

Phillips - Worpel - Day

JOM - Jeka - Burgoyne

I'd potentially swap Hardwick into the forward line for Brockman and have Greaves starting down back or have Greaves coming off the bench in replace of shiels/Downie

Day has played 11 games and has not yet played at the MCG.

Cousins has played 25 career games for only 2 games at the MCG.

Jiath 7 career games and none at the MCG.

Greaves 3 games and none at the MCG.

If they can all get some exposure playing at the MCG early in the season, that would be great experience for them and a good test against strong opposition.

This is what I want to see Round 1...

B: Hardwick, Hartigan, Impey

HB: Greaves, Frost, Scrimshaw

C: Day, Mitchell, Phillips

HF: Burgoyne, O’Brien, Wingard

F: Breust, Lewis, Brockman

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Shiels, Scully, Grainger-Barras, Cousins

I actually think half-back is our strongest area. Sicily is arguably the best rebounding defender in the game with his kicking. Scrimshaw is a Birchall clone. Impey is at his most damaging rebounding form the back half with his line breaking ability and Greaves looked super impressive in his three games. Add in Downie and we are stacked.

Half-back is important, very, but really, how many top 15 or 20 players in the game are a half-back flank? Day played midfield as a junior, but got pushed out because of his frame. If he can put on weight, we desperately need him to project as a midfielder for our future. That starts by moving up-to the wing... Fyfe was a stick early days.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back