Opinion Hypothetical 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep Jiath was completely lost on field as a defender

Especially concerning given he was only really being asked to play in straight lines. His ability to close gaps quickly to get to a contest was undone by his poor positioning.

I think he needs to be given a different role for 2021 because I really struggle to see him justifying his list spot as a defender.

There's certainly gonna be room in Box Hill's forward line for him to audition for a defensive spot there with Walker, Ross and Poppy gone. But forward positioning seems to be more challenging than defensive positioning so maybe that's a bad fit too.

I hate to say it but I'm not necessarily sold that Jiath will be best 22. He has a lot of fans on this forum, but I he does too many bad football things for every nice athletic thing. If he and Greaves end up competing for the same spot, which I think they will, I think Greaves is more reliable.

A career total of 7 games, Category B rookie for three years, no VFL season and his opportunities to play has been limited. It’s too early to be writing him off. We’ll have a much better idea of where he’s at this time next year as there will be a VFL season.

There’s at least 2 spots in defence up for grabs. I do think he could add something playing as a small/medium defender if he can work on some of his deficiencies.

Which is why I’m surprised both CJ and Nash are both still here. I’d prefer CJ. When positioned correctly, CJ didn’t seem to lose aerial contests. Nash’s thing is his speed and surprisingly good field kicking.
But it will be the all round game development which decides.

Every year there is a surprise packet who has a ripper pre-season and either plays round 1 or eventually cements themselves in the side.

Early last season it was Greaves in the pre-season games and then Morrison nailing down a back flank spot early in the year.

Just throwing this one out there but with our lack of talent in that area and this guys obvious strong work ethic, Josh Morris could be the one in 2021. A proper reserves season may do him wonders too.

Every year there is a surprise packet who has a ripper pre-season and either plays round 1 or eventually cements themselves in the side.

Early last season it was Greaves in the pre-season games and then Morrison nailing down a back flank spot early in the year.

Just throwing this one out there but with our lack of talent in that area and this guys obvious strong work ethic, Josh Morris could be the one in 2021. A proper reserves season may do him wonders too.
I liked what Morris showed this year and wouldn’t be surprised if he is in round 1 but I think it will depend on whether Impey plays forward or defence.

I liked what Morris showed this year and wouldn’t be surprised if he is in round 1 but I think it will depend on whether Impey plays forward or defence.
I hope to see more in 2021 but I don't yet see an elite AFL player in Morris - not a forward, anyway.

Hard at it, aggressive & competent skills - yup. He has it (or at least has enough to build on).

Speed, creativity or agility - haven't yet seen it yet. Doesn't seem the goal sneak small or the defensive/pressure small.

Will be good for him to get a full season to develop more but I hope it's at BHH until he legitimately forces Burgoyne out.

*I'd have said the same about Hardwick a few years back so there's obviously hope.

A career total of 7 games, Category B rookie for three years, no VFL season and his opportunities to play has been limited. It’s too early to be writing him off. We’ll have a much better idea of where he’s at this time next year as there will be a VFL season.

There’s at least 2 spots in defence up for grabs. I do think he could add something playing as a small/medium defender if he can work on some of his deficiencies.

I'm not writing him off. The comment was around him being best 22 next year and I just don't think he's there.

Will Day is obviously a given: Worpel Howe survive.
Morrison 4y 42gm; Mitch Lewis 4y 22gm; Hanrahan 4y 16gm; Cousins 4y 25gm all seem to have survived an early career cull. They must be seen as good foot soldiers at least
Maginness, Nash, Kosi and CJ remain on the main list (possibly More becomes a rookie.

Remarkable tendency for draftees taken in larger numbers in their year to progress better. there must be significant peer support

Chances of Dylan Moore playing this season?

Will definitely get games.

I think he's 23 - 28 on our list but with form, injury, rest & suspensions - he'll definitely get games & if he continues to play like he did in our game vs Gil Coast, he will hold his spot.

If we deliberately put the rose coloured glasses on, can we see a world where Lewis, TOB, Jeka, and Patton play really good football for the HFC going forward?

Just to put a positive spin on things (and almost write off 2020) are the following thoughts all that far-fetched?

- Mitch Lewis: Looked every bit a genuine KPF for the future at the end of 2019 before injuring his shoulder. There were even articles from opposition clubs saying they wished they'd picked him and came across a little envious. Tall, strong and having dominated the VFL beforehand, a full injury-interrupted PS could see Lewis return to the form that saw him our best KF prospect since Bud/Rough.

- TOB: Played his best football alongside Lewis at the end of 2019. He genuinely looked a match winning threat and was doing everything he'd promised (and more). Was consistently kicking bags of 3 and 4 and I had great joy watching him play at the time and am looking forward to more of the same in 2021.

- Jon Patton: A genuine KPF who has played some real dominant AFL games for GWS (also as a ruck). Sure he didn't have a great year in 2020 but those soft tissue injuries should be overcome and allow him to have a clear run at things in 2021. If (and when) fit he is a genuine Coleman threat and someone who can take us to the next level. He clearly has a long way to go to get to this point, but he's a good footballer and just needs to find those handbrakes holding his body back. Excited for him in 2021.

- Jeka: I unfortunately haven't had the chance to watch him like others so I'll defer to them, but from everything I hear, Jeka is another Lewis in terms of how highly those at the club rate him. As has been said before he was predicted to be a top pick in his bottom age year but for some reason slipped a looooooong way down the board (in part due to injury IIRC?). Normally this isn't a great sign for any draftee, but it appears Jeka could be the exception if what we hear is correct. Another year in the 2s could see him push for AFL games in 2021 and become a regular thereafter. Another I'm excited to see in 2021.

With all this in mind, I don't think any of the above is unrealistic or unlikely. Sure I have the rose coloured glasses on and the chances of all four of these guys realising their full potential with us may be tricky, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

As usual, do we see any of these guys playing back at some point? TOB has done so before and I can see Patton having Lake-like potential if fit and firing. Lewis needs to be our KPF for the next 10 years and I'd love to know where Jeka fits in long term.

*Also, does anyone have a link to those games late in 2019 where Lewis and TOB killed it together? Would be good to watch and get excited all over again :).

EDIT: I think TOB kicked a bag against WC and both did well against GEEL?

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If we deliberately put the rose coloured glasses on, can we see a world where Lewis, TOB, Jeka, and Patton play really good football for the HFC going forward?

Just to put a positive spin on things (and almost write off 2020) are the following thoughts all that far-fetched?

- Mitch Lewis: Looked every bit a genuine KPF for the future at the end of 2019 before injuring his shoulder. There were even articles from opposition clubs saying they wished they'd picked him and came across a little envious. Tall, strong and having dominated the VFL beforehand, a full injury-interrupted PS could see Lewis return to the form that saw him our best KF prospect since Bud/Rough.

- TOB: Played his best football alongside Lewis at the end of 2019. He genuinely looked a match winning threat and was doing everything he'd promised (and more). Was consistently kicking bags of 3 and 4 and I had great joy watching him play at the time and am looking forward to more of the same in 2021.

- Jon Patton: A genuine KPF who has played some real dominant AFL games for GWS (also as a ruck). Sure he didn't have a great year in 2020 but those soft tissue injuries should be overcome and allow him to have a clear run at things in 2021. If (and when) fit he is a genuine Coleman threat and someone who can take us to the next level. He clearly has a long way to go to get to this point, but he's a good footballer and just needs to find those handbrakes holding his body back. Excited for him in 2021.

- Jeka: I unfortunately haven't had the chance to watch him like others so I'll defer to them, but from everything I hear, Jeka is another Lewis in terms of how highly those at the club rate him. As has been said before he was predicted to be a top pick in his bottom age year but for some reason slipped a looooooong way down the board (in part due to injury IIRC?). Normally this isn't a great sign for any draftee, but it appears Jeka could be the exception if what we hear is correct. Another year in the 2s could see him push for AFL games in 2021 and become a regular thereafter. Another I'm excited to see in 2021.

With all this in mind, I don't think any of the above is unrealistic or unlikely. Sure I have the rose coloured glasses on and the chances of all four of these guys realising their full potential with us may be tricky, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

As usual, do we see any of these guys playing back at some point? TOB has done so before and I can see Patton having Lake-like potential if fit and firing. Lewis needs to be our KPF for the next 10 years and I'd love to know where Jeka fits in long term.

*Also, does anyone have a link to those games late in 2019 where Lewis and TOB killed it together? Would be good to watch and get excited all over again :).

Maybe
No
NFI
Very unlikely

I'd like to see him get an extended run at it and build some confidence. I think he is capable of being a really solid 10-15 game player per season for us. May also depend on who we draft too though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a crack at a best 26 y/o and under side -

B: Hardwick Koschitzke Greaves
HB: Impey Sicily Scrimshaw

C: Day O'Meara Phillips

HF: Nash O'Brien Moore
F: Morris Lewis Hanrahan

R: Reeves Worpel Cousins

Int: Jeka Jiath Morrison Howe

Wasn’t sure if this is the thread for it. Either way, it shows we have a lack of key position options going forward

Last edited:
Our recruiting is criticized even mocked widely, but the cool analysis is we never had these magical early picks implied.

I think we could really be criticized were we to say trade our top 6 pick for a Stephen May when the pick could have landed a King Brother

There is no case since 2016 where Hawks did that, and in my mind the Hawks recruiting 2009-2015 is beyond criticism

Lewis didn't injure his shoulder himself it was a dog act by Mumford to line him up in a pack. You could consider that has had an effect on him.

I have to also add that if the move to have 3 players in the f50 and b50 at every stoppage comes to pass, mobile talls will have added value. Not great for Patton I think though
Its being trialed in the "new" VFL so I wonder if some of our forwards and backs will get a run at Box hill to experience it sooner - especially if it looks like it will happen

Our recruiting is criticized even mocked widely, but the cool analysis is we never had these magical early picks implied.

I think we could really be criticized were we to say trade our top 6 pick for a Stephen May when the pick could have landed a King Brother

There is no case since 2016 where Hawks did that, and in my mind the Hawks recruiting 2009-2015 is beyond criticism
Could have had naughton had we not traded out our 2017 1st rounder. He went at 9 and we traded out 7. He’d be a massive improvement on all our forwards.

Could have had naughton had we not traded out our 2017 1st rounder. He went at 9 and we traded out 7. He’d be a massive improvement on all our forwards.

Was traded out the year before though. Who can we get next year? where will we finish on the ladder?

Also we started to experience some competiton from other teams for mature recruits. I dont think we actually planned to pay so much for both Wingard and Omeara. this may have made the club adopt their thinking a bit. Then there was the Gil-Coniglio deal.

Notice how nothing was put in the way of Cameron to Geelong. (apart form having to pay up) We dont have a fairy Godmother at AFL House

For mine each list position has candidates, the one you delisted, the one you could pick up delisted from another club, the one you can draft, the one you can trade for picks next year (that ones the hardest to compare)

And we were back in the top 4 for the 2018 draft?

Last edited:
Was traded out the year before though. Who can we get next year? where will we finish on the ladder?

Also we started to experience some competiton from other teams for mature recruits. I dont think we actually planned to pay so much for both Wingard and Omeara. this may have made the club adopt their thinking a bit. Then there was the Gil-Coniglio deal.

Notice how nothing was put in the way of Cameron to Geelong. (apart form having to pay up) We dont have a fairy Godmother at AFL House

For mine each list position has candidates, the one you delisted, the one you could pick up delisted from another club, the one you can draft, the one you can trade for picks next year (that ones the hardest to compare)

And we were back in the top 4 for the 2018 draft?
I know that it was traded out the year before. But we needed young talent then and now. I’d say this years and next years first will be in our best 22 from pretty much the moment they walk in the door. That’s how bad our list is.

Agree we overpaid for omeara and wings. I think the club lost its way for a while. (I know others disagree) we seem to be finding our way back but it’s a long way home. All things considered not getting cogs was a blessing.

As for 2018. Port drafted duursma who is one of the many sorts of player we desperately need. Top 4 that year was also a lot more luck than grand design. We were a 7-10 team.

Also sorry for dragging this way off topic my bad.

Had a crack at a best 26 y/o and under side -

B: Hardwick Koschitzke Greaves
HB: Impey Sicily Scrimshaw

C: Day O'Meara Phillips

HF: Nash O'Brien Moore
F: Morris Lewis Hanrahan

R: Reeves Worpel Cousins

Int: Jeka Jiath Morrison Howe

Wasn’t sure if this is the thread for it. Either way, it shows we have a lack of key position options going forward
The side actually doesn't look that bad. KP's have some question marks. Koschitzke, Lewis and Jeka could all still be something but a long way to go for sure. I think O'Brien and Sicily are the only known quantities here. Ruck also has question marks too.

I'd personally have Maginness ahead of Jeka.

Interesting take for somebody with your user name if I’m honest haha.

But I will slightly disagree. For just one example, we screwed up after 2018 and definitely overpaid for Wingard.

The side actually doesn't look that bad. KP's have some question marks. Koschitzke, Lewis and Jeka could all still be something but a long way to go for sure. I think O'Brien and Sicily are the only known quantities here. Ruck also has question marks too.

I'd personally have Maginness ahead of Jeka.

Forgot about Finn, agree with him over Jeka.

Gone are the days of the Lake Gibson Roughy Buddy(or Hale) spine of the time. Think it’ll be our toughest spot to try improve.

That fwd line is pretty putrid. If M Lewis becomes a player then he becomes the foundation to work around.

From what i have seen of Jeka he is a leading fwd similar size to Gunston. Another class tall fwd this wed night would be amazing.

I don't hold any hope for Patton unfort.

TOB is in the waiting room to be pushed out. If you rewatch last year's purple patch the same problems were there he just managed to hit the scoreboard more times. There is much exposed form on him I can't see him ever not dropping those marks. I still hold hope he can make it as a defender I think that's his best chance.

Interesting take for somebody with your user name if I’m honest haha.

But I will slightly disagree. For just one example, we screwed up after 2018 and definitely overpaid for Wingard.

‘we didn’t actually miss out on a talent like a king brother though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back