Opinion Hypothetical 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

We could do with some forward half depth and talent. Jackson Callow would be great signing. All we need now is a small forward or two to add the finishing touches.
We need 2x KPD.

Quacker5

Debutant
Jul 6, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Someone better tell Tom.

At a loss as to what is meant by this.

In a strange way it might help Worpel early in the year to get going being the number one stoppage player again where he struggled taking that back seat early in 2020 to Mitchell. Ultimately though it would be great to see jaeger, Mitchell and Worpel get some continuity in there with hopefully a mcevoy

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Hartigan will start at FB. Nothing surer. Throw McEvoy into the ruck and Ceglar can work his way into the team.
Agree re Day to a wing, although Moore or even Downie may go close.
Howe a chance to roll through the midfield too.

I think if that were the case i wouldnt think Mcevoy would be training as a defender still. Or do you think thats just backup if they play Ceglar.

I think if that were the case i wouldnt think Mcevoy would be training as a defender still. Or do you think thats just backup if they play Ceglar.
McEvoy has been training as a defender a lot, but also, Ceglar has been one of the best on the track and has been rucking in match sim.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep, still amazed that people are either leaving Ceglar out of their best 22 or him not as ruck.
Wishing something won’t make it so.
I totally agree .

I think people fogey how much of a difference a fit and firing Ceglat makes to the team. When he is at his best as a mobile ruck clunking contested marks around the ground we look a much better side.

From what I have read a large portion of the blame for his down year in 2020 was due to injury so I am quietly optimistic that he is in for a big year in 2021 based on the track reports I have read.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I totally agree .

I think people fogey how much of a difference a fit and firing Ceglat makes to the team. When he is at his best as a mobile ruck clunking contested marks around the ground we look a much better side.

From what I have read a large portion of the blame for his down year in 2020 was due to injury so I am quietly optimistic that he is in for a big year in 2021 based on the track reports I have read.

If he was hurt like everyone seems to say then why bother playing him in a season we're getting flogged and he was playing pathetic personally ?

cs61

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Land of the Rising Sun
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tentative Round 1 Prediction. Think we will go semi conservative in terms of our talls in playing Lewis and O'Brien, even though I don't think that will be our starting key positions players by the end of the season.

Hardwick.... Hartigan........Greaves
Scrimshaw.....Frost..........Impey
Phillips.........Mitchell.........Shiels
Breust..........O'Brien..........Wingard
Ceglar...........Lewis...........Burgoyne

Foll: McEvoy, O'Meara, Worpel

Int: Day, Cousins, DGB, Howe

*Gunston, Sicily

Next in line: CJ, Moore, Jeka, Morrison, Hartley, Brockman, Hanrahan, Reeves, Maginness, Seamus Mitchell,

The thing I like most about this year is we have no choice but to fast track players as our depth doesn't really have any senior option at all. 4-5 of those of 'next in line' will be there each week at least given the nature of injuries, so I'm guessing there will be a few take an opportunity based on the fact we don't have the Stratton's/Puopolo's/Henderson's there to make it hard for someone to step up.

I feel the biggest weakness is the wing position, as Phillips is ok as a starting 22 player but he is the only clear person to name on the wing, which makes it feel pretty thin to say the least.

Makes me look forward to this year, seeing what we can do with our unknowns and if players like CJ, Moore, Morrison etc can step up by the fact its really them or no one for our club, and sometimes just being high in the pecking order is enough for players to come along. Especially hopeful for the forward line. If one of Jeka/Kosi come on it really adds another dimension to the rebuild (especially since our strategy was originally to land Lynch as a Free Agent).

bigmaxi

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
hampton
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roosters
Tentative Round 1 Prediction. Think we will go semi conservative in terms of our talls in playing Lewis and O'Brien, even though I don't think that will be our starting key positions players by the end of the season.

Hardwick.... Hartigan........Greaves
Scrimshaw.....Frost..........Impey
Phillips.........Mitchell.........Shiels
Breust..........O'Brien..........Wingard
Ceglar...........Lewis...........Burgoyne

Foll: McEvoy, O'Meara, Worpel

Int: Day, Cousins, DGB, Howe

*Gunston, Sicily

Next in line: CJ, Moore, Jeka, Morrison, Hartley, Brockman, Hanrahan, Reeves, Maginness, Seamus Mitchell,

The thing I like most about this year is we have no choice but to fast track players as our depth doesn't really have any senior option at all. 4-5 of those of 'next in line' will be there each week at least given the nature of injuries, so I'm guessing there will be a few take an opportunity based on the fact we don't have the Stratton's/Puopolo's/Henderson's there to make it hard for someone to step up.

I feel the biggest weakness is the wing position, as Phillips is ok as a starting 22 player but he is the only clear person to name on the wing, which makes it feel pretty thin to say the least.

Makes me look forward to this year, seeing what we can do with our unknowns and if players like CJ, Moore, Morrison etc can step up by the fact its really them or no one for our club, and sometimes just being high in the pecking order is enough for players to come along. Especially hopeful for the forward line. If one of Jeka/Kosi come on it really adds another dimension to the rebuild (especially since our strategy was originally to land Lynch as a Free Agent).
I like it cs61, though might be Moore and Morrison on the pine instead of DGB, he needs a run in the twos and Howe a bit slow, might need a bit more pace at Docklands, it’s a fast track. If Mitchell missing round one I’d look to Howe to tag the dons best mid though, bring the hurt!

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Round 1 hypothetical based on training reports. pre intraclubs.
Inj *Mitch,Sicily,Gunston.

FB:Hardwick, Haritgan, Frost
HB:Scrimshaw,Mcevoy, Impey
W: Phillips, O'Meara, Day
HF: Shiels, Lewis, Burgoyne
FF: Bruest, Jeka, Brockman
R: Ceglar, Worpel, Wingard

B:Cousins,Greaves,Tob,Dgb
E:Morrison,Cj,Kosi,Fin,Moore

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kosi before Jeka I would think

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

TO surely starts at CHF?

Agree. He shouldn't be playing. He can still be a good influence around the club, but on the field he is just taking the spot of a younger player.

Hopefully he is mentoring the younger group and in particular Brockman. Import and Wingard can do that too as well.
That is bullshit mate. You don't just gift games to kids - they have to earn it or you end up being St Kilda or Melbourne.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
That is bullshit mate. You don't just gift games to kids - they have to earn it or you end up being St Kilda or Melbourne.

St Kilda? They are laughing at us right now.

Melbourne were Melbourne for years because they were continuously poorly coached, had a crap culture on/off the field and didn't have any real leadership on the field.

Now if playing a 38 year old Burgoyne is the only thing holding us back from ending up like St Kilda or Melbourne, then we are already in too much trouble.

I believe that JOM, Big Boy, Worpel, Clarkson and the coaching group, etc, can provide enough leadership and intangibles that will cover for Burgoyne not playing in place of one of our future long-term players.

Indeed, perhaps they stop polishing that one trophy from 54 years ago though because eventually they'll go blind.

Melbourne were Melbourne for years because they were continuously poorly coached, had a crap culture on/off the field and didn't have any real leadership on the field.

From what I am informed from a very good source they have a major issue with a board that does not know the boundary between board room and grass and the fish has rotted from the head down for a very long time

Now if playing a 38 year old Burgoyne is the only thing holding us back from ending up like St Kilda or Melbourne, then we are already in too much trouble.

I believe that JOM, Big Boy, Worpel, Clarkson and the coaching group, etc, can provide enough leadership and intangibles that will cover for Burgoyne not playing in place of one of our future long-term players.

Mate - you play who is going to do the job.

How many premierships have been won by sides that did these "rebuilds"?

Greater Western Sydney was availed the most generous draft concessions in the history of the game and couldn't sustain a 'generation' of quality, nor the Suns before them.

I'd much rather Hawthorn play their very best side each week and hopefully Shauny B has to battle really hard to be in the ones each week due to pressure from below. But if form warrants - he plays.

I bet you hate Cam Smith too.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Indeed, perhaps they stop polishing that one trophy from 54 years ago though because eventually they'll go blind.

From what I am informed from a very good source they have a major issue with a board that does not know the boundary between board room and grass and the fish has rotted from the head down for a very long time

Mate - you play who is going to do the job.

How many premierships have been won by sides that did these "rebuilds"?

Greater Western Sydney was availed the most generous draft concessions in the history of the game and couldn't sustain a 'generation' of quality, nor the Suns before them.

I'd much rather Hawthorn play their very best side each week and hopefully Shauny B has to battle really hard to be in the ones each week due to pressure from below. But if form warrants - he plays.

I bet you hate Cam Smith too.

Clarko won all four after rebuilding the side.

I don't hate Burgoyne, he's been my favourite player after Hodge throughout our era and my was favourite non-Hawks player prior to him joining us.

This has literally nothing to do with hating him and everything to do with looking to the future. There is no emotion in this.

cs61

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Land of the Rising Sun
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Quite surprised there is concern over playing Burgoyne after losing Stratton, Frawley, Henderson, Scully, Smith, Puopolo, and we have Sicily in the sidelines for best part of a year... To lose Burgoyne on top of that is way too much experience to let go.

I also don’t think Patton is on anyone’s best 22 anytime soon, so all I see is opportunity for everyone all over the ground. Usually (at least) 4-6 best 22 players are injured a week so our challenge will be having many inexperienced guys in at at once, not that anyone is being kept out due to senior players.

Aug 11, 2013
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona

I am sure most, if not all of JOM, BB, Worpel, Clarkson & the coaching group agree that Silk still has a role to play on and off the field.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks

Despite all the pre-season optimism that looks like a pretty weak side, particularly the spine - would need a lot to go right for us to kick a winning score each week.

Our mids are going to need to dominate to give us a chance (noting they really struggled last year).

Having Hartigan, BB, Hardwick and greaves in backline also makes us pretty slow with a lot riding on Impey and scrim to get rebound going.

Not sure why this convo keeps getting revived, but you don't replace a player until there's an obvious replacement. At the moment, Burgoyne can offer enough in a lot of positions which makes him a far better prospect to have in the best 22 than a kid who isn't at the level yet. Even at his age, he can be thrown as an on-field coach in pretty much every line on the ground. He's not holding anyone out yet.

If it gets into the season and he's not playing well, fine - drop him for someone in the seconds who is showing solid form, but there's no way you start Rd 1 with Silk playing in the twos for a kid with no exposed form at senior level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back