Opinion Hypothetical 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but Mcevoy is not a CHB. He is a short ruckman. Cegs is a tall guy who impersonates a ruckman one in 4 or 5 games. Then goes back 2 just being a tall guy.

But in saying that, it shows how horrible our list management has been the past few years and how horrible our player development has also been. With Sicily out our entire backline is based on stop gap fillers from other clubs (plus impey if they keep him there) and one of greaves or hardwick.
Plus Day, Scrimshaw and probably DGB. So not really.

Looking at our list, I’d hope to see something like this early in the year.

FB: Hardwick, Hartigan, Frost

HB: Scrimshaw, McEvoy, Impey

C: Phillips, O’Meara, Day

HF: Wingard, O’Brien, Worpel

FF: Breust, Lewis, Burgoyne

R: Ceglar, T. Mitchell, Shiels

I: Morrison, Cousins, Greaves, Kosi

Rotating through: Jitah, Maginness, Nash, DGB, S. Mitchell (?), Morris, Hanrahan, Howe, Moore.

- Over the year you would hope DGB pushes for a spot late after learning Clarko’s system at Box Hill and putting on weight. Will be a couple of years at least until he can be expected to play his role at AFL level safely though.

- People thinking we can play Frost as CHB over McEvoy? Wait till we come up against taller teams like the Cats - no way anyone but McEvoy plays that role in my mind unless they throw Kosi or DGB to the slaughter (which they wont). Frost cannot play that role.

- Our Mids are stacked with kids trying to come in, but every other area is desperate for more depth.

- I don’t like that O’Brien is still on our list. It looks better now that Gunston and Patton are out of the picture but man I can’t think of a player who makes me feel like I’m watching the second coming of Zac Dawson more than him.

- I like our kids long term, but honestly when you look at us, the Roos and the Crows lists objectively we are basically 3 of the bottom 4 locked in (particulalry due to our injuries/outs). All three teams have a handful of guns and then like 4-6 raw kids in the best 22.

- We possibly have the weakest KPP line-up in the league in that half of our spine is makeshift or people playing out of position.

- I love the guy but I hope Shiels is replaced by the kids in the Mid and maybe pushed forward later in the year. So much contest for that spot on the ground and I’d rather have them developing someone for the longer term.

- Despite the fact we are likely going to be losing a lot this year (I know I’m on the lower end of this forum’s predicted finishes) this is actually the happiest I have been with where our list is at in years and I’m really looking forward to this batch of kids developing.

- Can’t wait to see how Sammy goes at Box Hill.

*Sorry if there is a glaring omission. And I know we are looking at playing Day as a Half-Back but honestly I’d rather him and Impey rotate off that wing personally.

Last edited:
Looking at our list, I’d hope to see something like this early in the year.

FB: Hardwick, Hartigan, Frost

HB: Scrimshaw, McEvoy, Impey

C: Phillips, O’Meara, Day

HF: Wingard, O’Brien, Worpel

FF: Breust, Lewis, Burgoyne

R: Ceglar, T. Mitchell, Shiels

I: Morrison, Cousins, Greaves, Kosi

Rotating through: Jitah, Maginness, Nash, DGB, S. Mitchell (?), Morris, Hanrahan, Howe, Moore.

- Over the year you would hope DGB pushes for a spot late after learning Clarko’s system at Box Hill and putting on weight. Will be a couple of years at least until he can be expected to play his role at AFL level safely though.

- Our Mids are stacked with kids trying to come in, but every other area is desperate for more depth.

- I don’t like that O’Brien is still on our list. It looks better now that Gunston and Patton are out of the picture but man I can’t think of a player who makes me feel like I’m watching the second coming of Zac Dawson more than him.

- I like our kids long term, but honestly when you look at us, the Roos and the Crows lists objectively we are basically 3 of the bottom 4 locked in (particulalry due to our injuries/outs). All three teams have a handful of guns and then like 4-6 raw kids in the best 22.

- We possibly have the weakest KPP line-up in the league in that half of our spine is makeshift or people playing out of position.

- I love the guy but I hope Shiels is replaced by the kids in the Mid and maybe pushed forward later in the year. So much contest for that spot on the ground and I’d rather have them developing someone for the longer term.

- Despite the fact we are likely going to be losing a lot this year (I know I’m on the lower end of this forum’s predicted finishes) this is actually the happiest I have been with where our list is at in years and I’m really looking forward to this batch of kids developing.

- Can’t wait to see how Sammy goes at Box Hill.

*Sorry if there is a glaring omission. And I know we are looking at playing Day as a Half-Back but honestly I’d rather him and Impey rotate off that wing personally.
Needs more Brocky and Moore. Want some X factor forward creativity. Not sure who would come out though as I like your B22

well basing the best 22 on previous form and pre-season game, this would be my starting 22 (assuming T.Mitchell and Gunston are out)

B: Hardwick, Hartigan, Scrimshaw
HB: Day, Frost, Greaves

C: Phillips, Worpel, Downie
R: McEvoy, JOM, Cousins

HF: Wingard, TOB, Impey
F: Breust, Lewis, Hanrahan

INT: Burgoyne, Shiels, Morrison, Moore

i think they are the best 22 besides Mitchell, Gunston and Sicily

other options
rucks: Ceglar, Reeves
mids: Maginness, Howe
forws: Patton, Nash, Morris, Brockman
defs: Hartley, CJ, DGB

at this stage i think this is where we are at, i expect DGB to get better over the next couple of years, Maginness has potential, but it will be interesting if he realises that potential or not and a surprise packet could emerge from the late draftees

Downie was a great pick up for us and has shown maturity and courage in his first practice match that is rare, mids generally are plug and play from the draft whereas taller players usually take a season or 2 to bulk up to AFL standard, so even though DGB was taken early his best is a couple of years away whereas Downie could perform straight away potentially.

Greaves is so composed and makes an excellent defender, really happy he was given a chance last year, seems a likely type

Phillips really impressed me in the practice game, inside or outside this guy has a large footy IQ

Breust is in top form, so excited for him to kick plenty of goals and play a role in the middle

Lewis was a good focal point for our attack, it frees TOB to have a lesser defender and more space which should help his game

Hanrahan actually did quite well in bursts in the practice game, imo he is ahead of Morris and Brockman at this stage, but he needs to kick goals to stay in front

Moore is probably the one that could drop out of the team, he is right on the edge, his form could dictate how many games he is given this year.

Morrison is also on the fringe, but looking better than he has in recent years, hopefully he can keep that form up.

others:
Koschitzke, Brooksby, Pepper, Jeka, S.Mitchell, Saunders

these guys are a bit of a Mystery at this stage, could they develop into players? thats the question we're all wondering about.

Last edited:
Hey guys, fantasy question here.

Just wondering if the Hawks have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.

Just wondering if the Hawks have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.
Greaves played the last 3 matches of 2020 & played well. Most of us have him in the 22 or at least as an Emergency.
Morrison is another that will likely get games. No idea how fantasy football is scored though - he may not be a good selection.

Ceglar should score heaps better than last year.

Thanks in advance.
Connor Downie says Hi

well basing the best 22 on previous form and pre-season game, this would be my starting 22 (assuming T.Mitchell and Gunston are out)

other options

at this stage i think this is where we are at, i expect DGB to get better over the next couple of years, Maginness has potential, but it will be interesting if he realises that potential or not and a surprise packet could emerge from the late draftees

Downie was a great pick up for us and has shown maturity and courage in his first practice match that is rare, mids generally are plug and play from the draft whereas taller players usually take a season or 2 to bulk up to AFL standard, so even though DGB was taken early his best is a couple of years away whereas Downie could perform straight away potentially.

Greaves is so composed and makes an excellent defender, really happy he was given a chance last year, seems a likely type

Phillips really impressed me in the practice game, inside or outside this guy has a large footy IQ

Breust is in top form, so excited for him to kick plenty of goals and play a role in the middle

Lewis was a good focal point for our attack, it frees TOB to have a lesser defender and more space which should help his game

Hanrahan actually did quite well in bursts in the practice game, imo he is ahead of Morris and Brockman at this stage, but he needs to kick goals to stay in front

Moore is probably the one that could drop out of the team, he is right on the edge, his form could dictate how many games he is given this year.

Morrison is also on the fringe, but looking better than he has in recent years, hopefully he can keep that form up.

others:
Koschitzke, Brooksby, Pepper, Jeka, S.Mitchell, Saunders

these guys are a bit of a Mystery at this stage, could they develop into players? thats the question we're all wondering about.
You're confident BigBoy will play Ruck & not CHB?

I think Frost could probs play CHB against essendon on account of their not having big forwards*, but he can't against real teams.

*still so pi55ed off that the scum got Nik Cox in the draft...

You're confident BigBoy will play Ruck & not CHB?

I think Frost could probs play CHB against essendon on account of their not having big forwards*, but he can't against real teams.

*still so pi55ed off that the scum got Nik Cox in the draft...

i would play him in the ruck, no idea what Clarkos position is on McEvoy, i mean Clarko has said he wants to give McEvoy an easier position to play to elongate his career, but he may need McEvoy in the ruck to potentially play finals?

Thanks in advance.
Downie very likely to play round 1 and has been ultra impressive. Lock him in!

DGB is touch and go for round 1, wouldn't want to field him though in fantasy and too expensive to bench.

Brockman a chance for round 1 but would depend on how he performs in the next praccy game, again probably not huge fantasy potential early on. Bench option only.

Finn will get games throughout the year but doubt he will be in the round 1 side.

J. Koschitzke a chance for early games but key position player, doubt he scores well.

Yeah but Mcevoy is not a CHB. He is a short ruckman. Cegs is a tall guy who impersonates a ruckman one in 4 or 5 games. Then goes back 2 just being a tall guy.

But in saying that, it shows how horrible our list management has been the past few years and how horrible our player development has also been. With Sicily out our entire backline is based on stop gap fillers from other clubs (plus impey if they keep him there) and one of greaves or hardwick.
Bradkli liked your post and you should feel bad.

If anybody needs a laugh, Fox Footy just released their best 22's for round 1 for every team and Tom Scully is on the wing for us...

If anybody needs a laugh, Fox Footy just released their best 22's for round 1 for every team and Tom Scully is on the wing for us...

Laughed at that. Thought "oh, someone accidentally got his name mixed up with Phillips." But nah, Phillips is listed right next to him as well.

They must have these article templates set up in November.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A stab based on how the team was structured in the first praccy, excluding any 'in doubt' for R1.

FB: Greaves - Hartigan - Day
HB: Impey - Frost - Hardwick
C: Shiels - O'Meara - Phillips
HF: Breust - Lewis - Hanrahan
FF: Burgoyne - O'Brien - Ceglar
R: McEvoy - Cousins - Worpel
IC: Koschitzke - Morrison - Downie - Howe

If Scrim, Mitch or Wingard come up, look to the bench for the ones to come out. Brockman vs Ollie isn't a call I feel strongly about yet.

It'll be interesting if 3 tall forwards and 2 rucks persists. Might be necessary with the lack of height in defense, with O'Brien able to zone back. Probably not a worry with Essendon, though.

other options

Sam Mitchell on one of the Hawks TV interviews made it clear that Impey will start down back and he expects him to play most of his year down there.

Sam Mitchell on one of the Hawks TV interviews made it clear that Impey will start down back and he expects him to play most of his year down there.
Bloody well hope so

*he's one that I would absolutely love to be able to roll through the centre - just don't think he's got the hands for the close-quarters stuff. Can obviously bust away from the contest & is very defensively responsible, but may be a little fumbly.

A stab based on how the team was structured in the first praccy, excluding any 'in doubt' for R1.

FB: Greaves - Hartigan - Day
HB: Impey - Frost - Hardwick
C: Shiels - O'Meara - Phillips
HF: Breust - Lewis - Hanrahan
FF: Burgoyne - O'Brien - Ceglar
R: McEvoy - Cousins - Worpel
IC: Koschitzke - Morrison - Downie - Howe

If Scrim, Mitch or Wingard come up, look to the bench for the ones to come out. Brockman vs Ollie isn't a call I feel strongly about yet.

It'll be interesting if 3 tall forwards and 2 rucks persists. Might be necessary with the lack of height in defense, with O'Brien able to zone back. Probably not a worry with Essendon, though.
I think Moore will play on half forward flank.

Sams pushing Downie, Moore, Kosi and CJ.

I like that Mitchell has mentioned Downie as being a wingman.

I thought we'd see him off the HBF and then have Day move up to a wing, which we may still do, but it seems that at the least Downie will be getting some time on the wings.

I'm looking forward to him launching it from 55m on the run. He took a set shot from near 60m out during the match against the Doggies, so he's seemingly not lacking in confidence.

Edit: Mitchell's comment about wingmen that do everything right would apply to Day as well.

Last edited:
For Rd 1 and given the injuries would like to see:

B: Damon Greaves, Kyle Hartigan, Blake Hardwick

HB: Jack Scrimshaw, Sam Frost, Jarman Impey

C: Connor Downie, Tom Phillips, Will Day

HF: Chad Wingard, Mitch Lewis, Shaun Burgoyne

F: Tyler Brockman, Tim O’Brien, Luke Breust

FOLL: Ben McEvoy, James Worpel, Jaeger O’Meara

I/C: Liam Shiels, Dylan Moore, Jon Ceglar, James Cousins

Don’t want Ollie or Morrison getting a gig until they can add some aggression/bravery into their games. They just get pushed aside way to easily, way to often and like to play bruise free footy. Hope they prove me wrong of course.

For Rd 1 and given the injuries would like to see:

B: Damon Greaves, Kyle Hartigan, Blake Hardwick

HB: Jack Scrimshaw, Sam Frost, Jarman Impey

C: Connor Downie, Tom Phillips, Will Day

HF: Chad Wingard, Mitch Lewis, Shaun Burgoyne

F: Tyler Brockman, Tim O’Brien, Luke Breust

FOLL: Ben McEvoy, James Worpel, Jaeger O’Meara

I/C: Liam Shiels, Dylan Moore, Jon Ceglar, James Cousins

Don’t want Ollie or Morrison getting a gig until they can add some aggression/bravery into their games. They just get pushed aside way to easily, way to often and like to play bruise free footy. Hope they prove me wrong of course.

I like your team - I would have shiels on ball - Phillips to a wing and Downie to the bench.

Our weaknesses (main ones) remain our talls and our midfield so it will be most interesting to see how we go in these two departments (Ceglar and O'brien in particular). Also a heavy watch on Moore for me for who hopefully didn't shine in the last round last year purely due to how little intensity there was in the game. He seems trickless to me but here's hoping.

Love to see Brockman play round one

This preview nailed our best 22 IMO

Very astute article and a fantastic attempt at a round 1 side. The whole thing reads as though it was written by one of our ITK's on here. Impressed.

Very astute article and a fantastic attempt at a round 1 side. The whole thing reads as though it was written by one of our ITK's on here. Impressed.
Agreed, very astute, although they have tentatively selected Scrimshaw for round one - from all reports he's even less likely than Mitchell to be out there.
Come round 4/5 we should have Wingard, Mitchell, Scrimshaw and Gunston (if Clarko is to be believed)back in the side. All walk-up best 22, the squeeze will be on.

Moore, Hanrahan and Morrison have a little make-or-break window in the opening rounds, and I believe they will all play. CJ might get a look in too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back