Hypothetical: AFL Players World Cup Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Jamesdean5678

Draftee
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey everyone,

I have a bit of a hypothetical/what if discussion I’d like to start. If Australia were to send a team of AFL players to this years World Cup, what do you think our squad would look like? What positions would they be playing in and what would the best 11 be? (And if you feel inclined, what rating would you give them on FIFA)

Here’s what my squad would probably look like (Though I feel like my defensive options aren’t quite right)

Goal Keepers: Alex Rance / Jake Lever

Full Backs: Nick Smith / Michael Hibberd / Rory Laird / Adam Saad

Centre Backs: Daniel Talia / Jeremy McGovern / Michael Hurley / Harry Taylor

Midfielders: Trent Cotchin / Josh Kelly / Tom Mitchell / Matt Crouch / Nat Fyfe / Jack McRae

Wingers: Dustin Martin / Robbie Gray / Patrick Dangerfield / Marcus Bontempelli

Strikers: Buddy Franklin / Josh Kennedy / Jeremy Cameron

Rance
Saad L.Jones McGovern Hibberd
Fyfe Laird Mitchell
Martin Buddy Betts
I'd go 4-3-3 also, but

---------------------J Howe
B Smith, D Morris, D Talia, K Simpson
-----------------------B Jacobs
-------------P Dangerfield, T Mitchell
C Rioli----------L Franklin---------E Betts

Howe is unstoppable in goal. Smith and Simpson fly down the flanks getting into good crossing areas, Morris and Talia do the nitty gritty stuff, Jacobs works hard and is the shield the back four need, Danger has license to bomb forward from midfield when needed, Mitchell is there constantly recycling possession, while Betts and Cyril support Buddy upfront.

Stupid idea. I love AFL more than anyone but even this idea as a piss take is far fetched and arrogant. I'll make a world football/soccer best 22 to play AFL:drunk:

Pique Ramos Alba

Marcello Boateng Umtiti

Messi Iniesta Di Maria

Mbape Higuain Dybala

Isco Ronaldo Jesus

Ruck Giroud Matuidi Sane

Bench Thiago Silva Kimmich Kroos Draxler

Stupid idea. I love AFL more than anyone but even this idea as a piss take is far fetched and arrogant. I'll make a world football/soccer best 22 to play AFL:drunk:

Pique Ramos Alba

Marcello Boateng Umtiti

Messi Iniesta Di Maria

Mbape Higuain Dybala

Isco Ronaldo Jesus

Ruck Giroud Matuidi Sane

Swap Higuain with Kane. Real CHF presence about him

Howe
Laird-Rance-Hurley-N.Jetta
Ebert
Martin-R.Gray
Wingard-Franklin-Walters

Rance and Hurley would be our Pique and Puyol, Laird and NJ as FBs makes too much sense, Ebo is already the best "defensive" midfielder in the AFL when you look at the numbers and watch him play, Martin and Gray compliment each other perfectly and that front 3 would make anyone erect.

Howe
Laird-Rance-Hurley-N.Jetta
Ebert
Martin-R.Gray
Wingard-Franklin-Walters

Rance and Hurley would be our Pique and Puyol, Laird and NJ as FBs makes too much sense, Ebo is already the best "defensive" midfielder in the AFL when you look at the numbers and watch him play, Martin and Gray compliment each other perfectly and that front 3 would make anyone erect.
I like it!

I went my DM as more of the half back role that Laird plays

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey everyone,

I have a bit of a hypothetical/what if discussion I’d like to start. If Australia were to send a team of AFL players to this years World Cup, what do you think our squad would look like? What positions would they be playing in and what would the best 11 be? (And if you feel inclined, what rating would you give them on FIFA)

Here’s what my squad would probably look like (Though I feel like my defensive options aren’t quite right)

Goal Keepers: Alex Rance / Jake Lever

Full Backs: Nick Smith / Michael Hibberd / Rory Laird / Adam Saad

Centre Backs: Daniel Talia / Jeremy McGovern / Michael Hurley / Harry Taylor

Midfielders: Trent Cotchin / Josh Kelly / Tom Mitchell / Matt Crouch / Nat Fyfe / Jack McRae

Wingers: Dustin Martin / Robbie Gray / Patrick Dangerfield / Marcus Bontempelli

Strikers: Buddy Franklin / Josh Kennedy / Jeremy Cameron

Not enough ethnics in that team. Where will the creativity come from ?

You really should pick a team full of indigenous players. They'd be more suited to the round ball game.

Have gone slightly differently, 3-4-1-1

Brodie Grundy

Alex Rance - James Sicily - Robbie Tarrant

Devon Smith - Stephen Coniglio - Scott Pendlebury - Isaac Smith

Dustin Martin

Patrick Dangerfield

After they win the World Cup send them to the NFL to win the Super Bowl. They could easily do it if they had the right time + training. FMD.

And no don't include the punters in the NFL campaigners. That's different.

Brad green was a " good " ex soccer player. Didak could play I reckon. Maybe he used to actually.

The ex wogs like Yze, Jackovich etc look suited. Jacko could play from what I heard and was stoked when the Cro's beat Italy in 2002 hehe.

Didak now he was a good player for the Pies when he was on.

Juric for AFL also I reckon coach Sammy Mitchell could do something with Aaron Mooy

But I always wondered about the fos’ always claimin gif soccer was our main code not afl or rugby, that the Socceroos would be world contenders.

Surely if you can’t name even a half dozen players who could be world class then that theory is buncum?

Pique Ramos Alba

Marcello Boateng Umtiti

Messi Iniesta Di Maria

Mbape Higuain Dybala

Isco Ronaldo Jesus

Ruck Giroud Matuidi Sane

Too small, key position players need to be key position size ;)

I'd go

B: Ramos Hummels Chiellini
HB: Walker Pique Alba
C: De Bruyne Kroos D Silva
HF: Eriksen Ibrahimovic Hazard
F: Messi Giroud Ronaldo
R: Crouch Dembele Vidal
Int: Aguero (small forward) Modric (midfield rotation) Pjanic (midfield rotation) Clattermole (resident flog)

Most AFL players aren't really cut out for soccer. Dustin Martin's fend off would just get him sent off, McGovern and Ben Brown's high marking is useless, Rance's special Rance spoils are useless unless he's in goal defending corners and long free kicks. Being good with your hands is different to being good with your head. Andrew Gaff could run all day up and down the left wing but he could never ever cut inside because he only has one foot.

The ones that would succeed are those with vision and creativity and who are dual sided. Sam Mitchell was a plodder but then so is Aaron Mooy. He could've been a midfield playmaker. I could see any of the current Riolis doing well. Pace, low centre of gravity and good footskills.

Too small, key position players need to be key position size ;)

I'd go

B: Ramos Hummels Chiellini
HB: Walker Pique Alba
C: De Bruyne Kroos D Silva
HF: Eriksen Ibrahimovic Hazard
F: Messi Giroud Ronaldo
R: Crouch Dembele Vidal
Int: Aguero (small forward) Modric (midfield rotation) Pjanic (midfield rotation) Clattermole (resident flog)
haha. originally I had Bonucci Chiellini Barzagli as the fullback line { how could I forget Buffon } but I took them out because I only put players that made the world cup;)

your team is pretty great tho.

Football players in a best 22 Aussie Rules side:

FB: Grimes, Pearce, Murray
HB: Smith, Jones, Shaw
C: Edwards, Gibbs, Hanley
HF: Stewart, Walker, Knight
FF: McCarthy, Cameron, Townsend
R: Boyd, Murphy, Kelly
I: Steele, Thomas, McKay, Robinson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back