Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not here to stir up trouble, I am just genuinely interested as to what Giants fans think. So the situation I put forward is that Boyd/Cameron/Patton wants to leave at season's end to go home to Victoria. Who do you deal with and why?

I suppose the obvious answer is St Kilda given they are likely to get the number 1 pick. Last year the Giants managed to get the number 2 pick for Dom Tyson who went number 3 in his draft. Another factor is that each of those three players are not worth the same in value. Cameron is clearly the standout of the three players while Boyd is yet to really prove himself. A few questions to get the ball rolling:
  • Would the number 1 pick be enough to trade Cameron?
  • What is Patton worth?
  • Do the Giants really want to stockpile more picks or trade for mature players?
  • What can Melbourne clubs offer outside of picks?
Go.

They are all under contract. There will be no trading.

END OF F**KING STORY.

come back in 12 months time if some of them haven't extended their contracts and we might talk then.

Whoa. You guys are clearly very sensitive about this topic. However, being under contract doesn't mean a player is immune to being traded. Your very own Heath Shaw was contracted to Collingwood in 2014 but still got traded.

If you dealt with rumors, speculation and demand about your best players 24/7 for 3 years in sure you would get a bit fed up.

Not to mention the daily threads questioning our existence, calling us fake, complaining about our start up.

So yes we can be a bit sensitive about useless hypotheticals that do nothing but provide another channel for people to fap off about dreaming about our death

I'm not here to stir up trouble, I am just genuinely interested as to what Giants fans think. So the situation I put forward is that Boyd/Cameron/Patton wants to leave at season's end to go home to Victoria. Who do you deal with and why?

I suppose the obvious answer is St Kilda given they are likely to get the number 1 pick. Last year the Giants managed to get the number 2 pick for Dom Tyson who went number 3 in his draft. Another factor is that each of those three players are not worth the same in value. Cameron is clearly the standout of the three players while Boyd is yet to really prove himself. A few questions to get the ball rolling:
  • Would the number 1 pick be enough to trade Cameron?
  • What is Patton worth?
  • Do the Giants really want to stockpile more picks or trade for mature players?
  • What can Melbourne clubs offer outside of picks?
Go.
i would trade Boyd for pick 1 and select Petracca.

In answer to your questions:

1. Not even close
2. Lots
3. Neither and both
4. Players who can (and do) make the best 22 but for other reasons want to pursue their career away from the Melbourne goldfish bowl and/or current club (sim Heath Shaw)

I endorse the views of my GWS board posters above and add that GWS posters' views on Boyd/Patton/Cameron trades are publicly available on the many, many threads that canvass these scenarios.

Now can I come on your board and ask pointless hypotheticals involving key players under contract who are signalling their intentions to discuss contract extensions at season's end?

Had to sign up just because of this thread - it really saddens me to see fellow Giants fans getting cranky at people who go out of their way to be polite when they open a thread like this. We are better than the hostility - and while some trades and rumours are absurd, Matchu went out of his/her way to seek our opinion.

I have to preface my response by saying that ideally, we would lose none of the three players - and I wouldn't personally trade any of Cameron/Patton/Boyd, but to answer your questions:

1) No, I wouldn't trade Cameron for the #1 Pick - nor would I want it unless Jezza openly wanted out
2) Patton would probably be worth a pick and a player who could immediately walk into the 22 and stay there for a few years.
3) Stockpiling picks isn't particularly interesting from my perspective - we already have an incredibly young core, so adding young players just makes it harder to get games into top talent. Look at #2 and #3 picks O'Rourke and Plowman for instance, we haven't got games into them and they're slowly falling out of the 22 and into trade talks. Unless the player is somebody who would fill a position of need - we really don't need to fill our list with more teens.

With that said, we don't want mature bodies for the sake of mature bodies - ideally we want somebody who will still be a capable player in a few years time when we start to play Finals footy.
4) Melbourne clubs can offer a pick upgrade more than likely, and anybody who would easily slot into our Best 22, we aren't really interested in mid-level talent, which is where most of the frustration comes from as a Giants fan, we aren't really interested in Pick 20 + average 28 year old for Dylan Shiel.

To make it short - we really are in a situation where we don't really want to trade, nor do we have to...we are lucky to have such a great young list. Because of this, most trade discussion on these boards dies quickly

How is this thread any different to the stuff we've seen opposition supporters come in here and try and claim about any of the three. Just read through the threads in here that relate to either trading and/or the players in question and you will find your answers scattered around the place. Take a little time and find them yourself, by making a new thread, you've pulled at an area that we supporters have in the past shown our distaste towards due to the overwhelming number of "hypotheticals" thrown at us about those three players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The op has either started the thread up to troll or is being very naive as if you start a thread on any club board about trading out 3 of there young stars you will get a lot more negative reaction then the ones on here. But really if your opening sentence leads with 'I'm not here to stir up trouble'. Its pretty clear what your real intention is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back