Hypothetical Draft Pick Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't guarantee anything if you are relying on other clubs to pick certain players for another 5 or so picks. Those clubs will pick who they believe is the best for them at each pick.

It's a quick way to become undone. Something Dodo would do.
I have stated below how it can happen, my fear is the cats may end up doing this with Crows if we pass on the option or make it clear we are not picking The Pou.
After Cal's Phantom dropped, I saw a Crows fan offer their f1 & North F2 they have for Saints pick so they can get The Pou.

Was wondering would something like that work for pick 6, i can see it opening quite a few options to get back in to the top of this draft. So hear me out.

Adel : F1, F2, F2(North)
Hawks pick 6, F2(WB) - ( they need to have a F2 pick)

We can use the Crows or our F1 to trade for Dees 13 & 2 F1's, these top F1's woudl be mighty tempting for Dees or Swans and I would be loathe to trade them away as well. Either way, we will still have 3 F1's for 2013 + extra F2. The extra F2's also make trade for GWS 18,19 given above more of a possibility.

Cats can then trade back in for Dees 13+F1s using Crows f1 and make bank.

Only saying just be awake to options and trading with Crows is a no brainer if they are mad keen on Pou.

I know we are wedded to pick 6 because we have it.

But how much would we realistically offer for pick 6 to get it from another team?

If a team offers above what we’d pay for pick 6 surely that would mean we should take the offer. Or at the very least, seriously consider it.

Trading out of this top 10 or first round is madness. Why do you think clubs would offer these deals? And why would we go without another year of developing a gun talent right now??

Absolute madness.
Any number of reasons teams could offer these deals. List spots, win now, etc.

Having pick 6 we have the power if a team offers overs. Otherwise use the pick.

We have plenty of youth currently developing on our list now. So I can see the sense in getting much more value next year over getting pick 6 this year.

Having such a young list we have time to get the best out of deals and players.

We are not trading pick 6. That intel is secure. MM has only left the door open in case we get a grandfather offer - which we wont. And by grandfather offer I'm not talking about future firsts I'm talking about getting into the top five.

Which as I said so wont happen, pick 6 is ours.
Move along, nothing to see here.

Combining pick swaps…

If the Dees want Pou and he is available at our pick then they will likely offer the 3x1sts to us. Combine that with the Swans wish to offload pick 14(15) for a f1 then:

Hawks trade pick 6(7) to Melbourne for pick 13(14) and 2 f1s (Freo’s and Melb’s)… which is realistic
Hawks on trade Freo’s F1 to Sydney for picks 14(15)… which is also realistic

Result:
Hawks loose pick 7 for picks 14 and 15 (netting two of Jefferson / Hewitt/ Allan / Hotton or other) which is not bad.. but then there is the kicker… we also gain the Dees 2023 F1.

Last edited:
Combining pick swaps…

If the Dees want Pou and he is available at our pick then they will likely offer the 3xf1 to us. Combine that with the Swans wish to offload pick 14(15) for a f1 then:

Hawks trade pick 6(7) to Melbourne for pick 13(14) and 2 f1s (Freo’s and Melb’s)… realistic
Hawks on trade Freo’s F1 to Sydney for picks 14(15)… realistic

Result:
Hawks loose pick 7 for picks 14 and 15 (netting two of Jefferson / Hewitt/ Allan / Hotton or other) which is not bad.. but then there is the kicker… we also gain the Dees 2023 F1.
Hard to imagine someone will offer 3 first rounders for our first rounder, why so generous?

Trading out of this top 10 or first round is madness. Why do you think clubs would offer these deals? And why would we go without another year of developing a gun talent right now??

Absolute madness.
I’m with TD on not trading down. The ONLY deal I’d consider is if Saints put their F1 on the table which I don’t really believe they would. However if they did and we really think that Cam Mackenzie is the choice* and he’ll last until pick 10 then of course you have to consider it.

*there would still be a huge risk that he’s not but I’d be confident that if we did trade down it would go:

Pick 7 - Saints - Phillipou / Tsatas
Pick 8 - Geelong - Clark
Pick 9 - West Coast - Gibney
Pick 10 - Hawthorn- Mackenzie

Anyways as I mentioned above I still don’t think Saints will cough up a F1. We’d have to add a F2 so something like:

Hawks get - F1 + pick 10 (Mackenzie)
Saints get - Pick 7 + WB F2

I’d do it but geez that 3 pick wait would feel like an eternity 🫣

I’m with TD on not trading down. The ONLY deal I’d consider is if Saints put their F1 on the table which I don’t really believe they would. However if they did and we really think that Cam Mackenzie is the choice* and he’ll last until pick 10 then of course you have to consider it.

*there would still be a huge risk that he’s not but I’d be confident that if we did trade down it would go:

Pick 7 - Saints - Phillipou / Tsatas
Pick 8 - Geelong - Clark
Pick 9 - West Coast - Gibney
Pick 10 - Hawthorn- Mackenzie

Anyways as I mentioned above I still don’t think Saints will cough up a F1. We’d have to add a F2 so something like:

Hawks get - F1 + pick 10 (Mackenzie)
Saints get - Pick 7 + WB F2

I’d do it but geez that 3 pick wait would feel like an eternity 🫣
It'd be a F1 or GTFO.

If they want the slide, it's has to heavily weigh in our favour.

Combining pick swaps…

If the Dees want Pou and he is available at our pick then they will likely offer the 3xf1 to us. Combine that with the Swans wish to offload pick 14(15) for a f1 then:

Hawks trade pick 6(7) to Melbourne for pick 13(14) and 2 f1s (Freo’s and Melb’s)… which is realistic
Hawks on trade Freo’s F1 to Sydney for picks 14(15)… which is realistic

Result:
Don’t mind this.
Could we give GWS- Freo’s f1 instead for 18 & 19?
End up with 13,18,19 & 24 as well as Dee’s f1

Hard to imagine someone will offer 3 first rounders for our first rounder, why so generous?
Apparently the Dees have already offered this to * for pick 4. The talk is that they want Phillipou. If the Don’s don’t take the deal and take Tsatas then it is reasonable that Melb will offer the same deal to GC… who most say are not taking Pou and then to us..

Last edited:
Combining pick swaps…

Hawks on trade Freo’s F1 to Sydney for picks 14(15)… which is also realistic

Result:
All good, except the magic is with freo f1 not Dees f1.. so that is the one to keep. Trade Dees f1 in your scenario while reminding Swans next yr is a stronger draft :) (give a spiel about how 14 this yr is 20 equivalent to 20 next yr )

The dees offer of 13 + 2 F1s is not for just 4, it is for 4 & 22. Don's having been dreaming about making bank with 22, so are loathe to give up those dreams.

Apparently they think Saints will pay F2 and 47 for 22( they won't like it if we do swap 6 with Saints for 9+F2). Similar deal with Carlton.
According to the Dees have already offered this to * for pick 4. The talk is that they want Phillipou. If the Don’s don’t take the deal and take Tsatis then it is reasonable that Melb will offer the same deal to GC… who most say are not taking Pou and then to us..
Deal is for 4 + 22.. so if offer comes to us we can give F2(WB) back which would be similar. Don't think GC wants to do that given the Academy kids they have.

Last edited:
Don’t mind this.
Could we give GWS- Freo’s f1 instead for 18 & 19?
End up with 13,18,19 & 24 as well as Dee’s f1
Yes that works as well… though would GWS do it? I had written the following for Sh#ts and Giggles but had not intended to post it. Now that you have set up the perfect segue how can I not post it.

Trade frenzy. (Chance of happening <1%… chance of being fun to watch >99%)
Hawks trade our later picks for Brisbanes pick 36
Hawks trade pick 6(7) to Melbourne for pick 13(14) and 2 f1s (Freo’s and Melb’s)
Hawks on trade Freo’s F1 to GWS for pick 15(16)

2022:
Hawks take Jefferson at pick 13(14)
Hawks bid on Alwyn … then swap our WB’s f2 for *s pick 22. (Is this allowed? Who cares …it’s fun)
Hawks take Elijah Hewitt / Oli Hotton / Ed Allen / Hustwaite at pick 15 (17)
Hawks take Charlie Clarke / Konstanty / Jones at pick 22 (25)
Hawks take George / Lemmy / Keeler / Van Es / Gruzewski at pick 24(27)
Hawks sell pick 36 to the highest bidder for a future pick
Hawks match on Vickery

2023: the Hawks have gained Melb’s f1.

Edit: In 2023 package the Hawks 2023 1st + the Dees 2023 1st to Norf for their 2023 Pick 1…

🎤 drop. 🤪🤣

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes that works as well… though would GWS do it? I had written the following for Sh#ts and Giggles but had not intended to post it. But now that you have set up the perfect segue..

Trade frenzy. (Chance of happening <1%… chance of being fun to watch >99%)
Hawks trade our later picks for Brisbanes pick 36
Hawks trade pick 6(7) to Melbourne for pick 13(14) and 2 f1s (Freo’s and Melb’s)
Hawks on trade Freo’s F1 to GWS for pick 15(16)

2022:
Hawks take Jefferson at pick 13(14)
Hawks bid on Alwyn … then swap our WB’s f2 for *s pick 22. (Is this allowed? Who cares …it’s fun)
Hawks take Elijah Hewitt / Oli Hotton / Ed Allen / Hustwaite at pick 15 (17)
Hawks take Charlie Clarke / Konstanty / Jones at pick 22 (25)
Hawks take George / Lemmy / Keeler / Van Es / Gruzewski at pick 24(27)
Hawks sell pick 36 to the highest bidder for a future pick
Hawks match on Vickery

2023: the Hawks have gained Melb’s f1.

🎤 drop. 🤪🤣
Nice work although we can easily get 35 and 36 for our later picks. If we had 13,15,22,24,35,36,65 assuming no top 10 sliders I would go for 4 of Allan George hotton jones weddle konstanty take someone like D’aloia long magor and trade the other 30s pick as you say then take vickery.

I'm not really interested in trading back with Melbourne, but I would be interested in trading back with the Saints.
Not across freo's list but there seems to be a view they will fall off the cliff cause they lack fwds. What do others think and how would you compare the Freo F1 vs the Dees F1. Surely if the Dees get pick6/7, their chances of flag goes high as it will free Petraca to play more fwd while the new recruit gets midfield run.

If the Saints come calling to swap 6 and 9 it's their F1 with the Dogs 2nd going back to them or nothing IMO. None of this F2/28 crap.

Last year Port paid WC their F2 to move up 1 spot in the low teens (was it 13/14?). So there's a precedent of teams paying to get the player they want.

I'm happy with whoever is still standing out of Tsatas, Pou, Humphrey, Mackenzie, Ginbey and Clark at the Saints' pick with another 2 x top 10 picks next year (which could honestly end up being 2 x top 5 picks).

Also we can use North as a way of being able to trade 48 to the Lions.

If they've agreed to trade 40 for Lions F3 as reported, then we can do 41, 48, 50, 52 (1233 points) for 35, 36 (1024 points). In fact it will end up being more of a points gain for them as the later ones come in after Ashcroft and before Fletcher.

Simply trade 48 + 63 (for matching Harvey with) to North for 40.

North trade 48 for the F3 (pre-agreed for their 40)

We trade 40, 41, 50, 52 for 35, 36.

We pick at 6, 24, 35, 36 and potentially cop a deficit on our F3 or F4 to match Vickery (won't be much). 35 and 36 might end up being 39 and 40 after various bid matching, but that's good Munkara fist-pumping range ;)

1 more 😎

We could then trade 35, 36 and Dogs F2 to GWS for 19 and 31.

Means they can match Rowston with 35 and still use 36 instead of just losing 31 completely for him.

StKilda slide - hawks give 6 and F2 and get StKilda 9 and F1

Sydney - hawks get 14, 17 and F1 give
6, F2 (dogs) or F3 ours, maybe something late.

Melbourne - hawks get 13 and x F1 for
6 and WBF2 + something late.

Upgrade to 4.... Essendon give 4 and we give 6 and F3 and late picks for points this year.

Upgrade to 4.... Essendon give 4 and we give 6 and F3 and late picks for points this year.

First two are decent, bombers no chance that happens

Presume Melbourne want Humphrey that’s why they went for picks 3-4-5. If they wanted 6 and offered the same deal 13 and 2xf1 i think we might have to do it. Similar to Alites thinking if we did the deal we could get pick 19 from gws or 17 from Sydney for dees f1, perhaps also 22 from dons for f2 dogs and maybe 36.
2022: 13,17,22,24,35,63
Something like Jefferson George Konstanty Jones D’aloia Vickery
2023: f1 hawks, f1 freo (who I think slide as no one left to kick goals and no depth so injuries will make it difficult), f2 hawks, f3 hawks, f4 tied to lions
Depending on how happy we are with our first 3 or 4 picks we could also trade our 24/35 to get back into future picks.
Really intrigued by tomorrow night I’m in the UK so will be watching delayed with beers will be drinking for every draftee compared to a current player…bottoms up!

Don't mind the first one as I think Saints crash next year. I understand the thought behind the next two but think we need star power not more good players and those F1s will likely be mid to late teens.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also we can use North as a way of being able to trade 48 to the Lions.

If they've agreed to trade 40 for Lions F3 as reported, then we can do 41, 48, 50, 52 (1233 points) for 35, 36 (1024 points). In fact it will end up being more of a points gain for them as the later ones come in after Ashcroft and before Fletcher.

Simply trade 48 + 63 (for matching Harvey with) to North for 40.

North trade 48 for the F3 (pre-agreed for their 40)

We trade 40, 41, 50, 52 for 35, 36.

We pick at 6, 24, 35, 36 and potentially cop a deficit on our F3 or F4 to match Vickery (won't be much). 35 and 36 might end up being 39 and 40 after various bid matching, but that's good Munkara fist-pumping range ;)

Pick 48 can be offloaded in few diff ways. Trade with blues for 49 but lions lose 15 points or we can trade with Saints who have 47 and Lions gain extra points as well. Effectively pick remains a 47 for Saints.
Or offer GC, the same at 45 too, will be only a 1 pick slide as Crows pick 46 will get used up.

or the best is just trade with crows 46+56+59( 683pts) for 48+50+63 ( 687pts)

Quite a few options to get around the pick 48 issue.

Even without pick 48, just 41,50,52,63 (1043 pts) is enough for 35 & 36 (1024 pts) or do 36 & 38(967pts). Both 36 & 38 will be within 40 after 4 FS bid and yes within Munkara fist-pumping range ;) if Dons don't play ball for pick 22.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back