Hypothetical: Next Collingwood coach? (Think this is disrespectful? OK, OK, we get it)

Is this thread out of line?

• This is embarrassing, we should all be supporting Buckley.

• Buckley won't be coach forever, let's have an adult conversation about his replacement

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I genuinely reckon Clarkson might look for a new challenge. He's been to the top of the mountain at Hawthorn four times, seen some of their best players ever, might go down as their best coach ever, won a flag, went through a rebuild and won more flags, is there anything more he needs to do? Going through another rebuild might be an exciting journey but I think he could look at his option. Not saying he'll come but Eddie definitely needs to have a chat with him.

In order

Bomber
Dew
Ratten
Roos
Lyon

Sent from my warped mind

whilst I reckon Ratten would be a better coach second time around I don't think he fits our list. having spent so much time at hawthorn he will look to bring the kicking game and we know that aint going to work.

Dew is the obvious one coming from a contested game plan. (also be great to have another fat bloke at the club).

whilst I reckon Ratten would be a better coach second time around I don't think he fits our list. having spent so much time at hawthorn he will look to bring the kicking game and we know that aint going to work.

Dew is the obvious one coming from a contested game plan. (also be great to have another fat bloke at the club).
Dew just seems like the right fit to me also best available imo

Nick Maxwell is the only ex Collingwood player who should be considered for any role next year.

Agree, but not as a coach, or the senior coach. Nick is too valuable for our future success, to be chewed up and spat out in the coaching merry-go-round. He will have another role, maybe heading up the football department, when he eventually returns.

Agree, but not as a coach, or the senior coach. Nick is too valuable for our future success, to be chewed up and spat out in the coaching merry-go-round. He will have another role, maybe heading up the football department, when he eventually returns.

was he gws runner today?

I genuinely reckon Clarkson might look for a new challenge. He's been to the top of the mountain at Hawthorn four times, seen some of their best players ever, might go down as their best coach ever, won a flag, went through a rebuild and won more flags, is there anything more he needs to do? Going through another rebuild might be an exciting journey but I think he could look at his option. Not saying he'll come but Eddie definitely needs to have a chat with him.
My mind has headed in this hopeful direction too. But probabilities are that Clarko has more than enough challenge to rebuild the Hawks and get them back winning flags. He does that a third time and he is probably the greatest coach of all time. Fair incentive I'd say.

All I know is that I don't want Roos.

If you feel the same you better make it well known before the Prez makes what he thinks would be a popular choice.

Unless Clarkson is attainable I want us to go through a thorough process of interviewing the best assistant coaches.

I agree but I'm concerned our 'process' would be flawed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been of the view that we need a proper selection process.
However, in the cold light of despair, I've started to form the view that Collingwood needs a coach who is capable of giving it back to the media and commanding respect.
I've loved the way Clarko has come out swinging this week and in retrospect think this is what Buckley should have done last year against Robbo.
If we can't get Clarko so be it -go through the full selection process. But...and this goes against what I've said earlier and I may come to my senses when my mood lightens, we need Clarko to give us stability from a media speculation viewpoint(we haven't had it for 5 years) and stability from a player's confidence viewpoint. ..... and I'd just love to see a Collingwood person wipe the floor with Robbo

All I know is that I don't want Roos.

If you feel the same you better make it well known before the Prez makes what he thinks would be a popular choice.

Unless Clarkson is attainable I want us to go through a thorough process of interviewing the best assistant coaches.

Won't happen.

For all the s**t I've given Carlton over the years of their administration running the club like it's still the 70s, we still run ours like it's the early 00s.

Our new coach will go through no formal process. Ed will no doubt be in the process right now in the background a la the Tony Shaw/Malthouse appointment. Which means in all reality our new coach is most likely one of three options right now:

1) Paul Roos

2) Alistair Clarkson

3) Mick Malthouse

Yes, I have heard rumours on all 3. Even Malthouse.

Won't happen.

For all the s**t I've given Carlton over the years of their administration running the club like it's still the 70s, we still run ours like it's the early 00s.

Our new coach will go through no formal process. Ed will no doubt be in the process right now in the background a la the Tony Shaw/Malthouse appointment. Which means in all reality our new coach is most likely one of three options right now:

1) Paul Roos

2) Alistair Clarkson

3) Mick Malthouse

Yes, I have heard rumours on all 3. Even Malthouse.
lol.
Malthouse will not be coach.
Could see Roos in a temporary position- but do not want at all!

Clarckson.....hmmm

Either way, if/when Bucks gos, its wholesale changes the following 18 months no doubt

whoever it is, they need to be vastly experienced in either assistant or senior coaching capacities and ideally with multiple (and successful) clubs.

I have been of the view that we need a proper selection process.
However, in the cold light of despair, I've started to form the view that Collingwood needs a coach who is capable of giving it back to the media and commanding respect.
I've loved the way Clarko has come out swinging this week and in retrospect think this is what Buckley should have done last year against Robbo.
If we can't get Clarko so be it -go through the full selection process. But...and this goes against what I've said earlier and I may come to my senses when my mood lightens, we need Clarko to give us stability from a media speculation viewpoint(we haven't had it for 5 years) and stability from a player's confidence viewpoint. ..... and I'd just love to see a Collingwood person wipe the floor with Robbo

totally agree, Clarkson would be a great fit for us and we should do whatever it takes to get him. If we fail to land him, then the next best following a thorough selection process.

Would love for us to offer Clarkson a blank cheque and see if he bites. I reckon our list would be mighty appealing to him. Would obviously depend on how loyal he is to the Hawks, but there must be cracks there given the threats to sack him that he's (unbelievably) copped over the journey.

Established coaches are all locked away. I highly doubt we will get Clarkson. Roos will not coach again. Malthouse might not be a bad move for a couple of years depending on performance of course. I just don't think we can we can go an untried, untested coach again. I would personally like Roos to coach us but that will be a dream. Ross Lyon would have been good.

Back