Hypothetical: Next Collingwood coach? (Think this is disrespectful? OK, OK, we get it)

Is this thread out of line?

• This is embarrassing, we should all be supporting Buckley.

• Buckley won't be coach forever, let's have an adult conversation about his replacement

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stuart Dew completed a two day Certificate 4 Accreditation Course for prospective AFL/ Assistant coaches in 2015. Other participants were John Barker, Blake Caracella, Rob Harvey, Adam Kingsley, Simon Lloyd, Brendon Bolton, Matthew Nicks and Simon Goodwin.

He was considered and then overlooked for the Carlton coaching role at the end of 2015 as he had not had enough hands-on coaching experience (Carlton went with Bolton instead). The same reason Harvey was not considered for the Carlton or St Kilda roles.

What man management skills does he have?. What are his communication skills like?. Has he coached a team in his own right?

and We Hire Bucks who not even been a Assistant at any Level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally have no real interest in Roos unless he used in a mentor type role to give guidance to a first time coach and use his experience to grow the knowledge base of our assistants.

Even then the whole succession plan or coaching director role feels a little passe now.

Clarkson is a given if attainable though we'd need some strong minded people around him to keep him focused as he can be a bit of a handful by all reports.

I'm open minded to all assistant coaches and just want a thorough process followed to choose the best candidate.

On Ratten while he didn't work miracles it's good to look a little deeper at his time at Carlton.

Ratten took over in round 17 of season 2007.

In 2003 Carlton had 4 wins.
In 2004 Carlton had 10 wins.
In 2005 Carlton had 4 wins.
In 2006 Carlton had 3 wins.
In 2007 Carlton had 4 wins.

It's fair to say he took over in vastly different circumstances than Buckley.

In his first full season he achieved 10 wins and the side finished 11th. They beat us twice. In the points for column they finished 6th.
In 2009 they had 13 wins and finished 7th. In the points for column they finished 3rd.
In 2010 they had 11 wins and finished 8th. In the points for column they finished 5th.
In 2011 they had 14 wins and finished 5th. In the points for column they finished 5th.
In 2012 they had 11 wins and finished 10th. In the point for column they finished 11th.

So in his first full season he achieved 1 win less than Carlton managed in total from years 2005-07. Big tick.

He got them into finals in his second season and for the first time since 2001. Big tick.

He made finals for 3 consecutive seasons. Tick.

He never missed finals for more than 1 season. Tick.

In 4 out of 5 years his sides points for column was equal or above they're finishing position. Relevant.

So basically one down year in 2012 was enough for Ratten to lose his job and we all know how poor Malthouse was in comparison.

I've highlighted the points for column as his side outside 2012 never had a problem playing attacking high scoring football it was the defensive mechanisms that needed work.

I believe this is relevant because of how the game has now evolved with fast forward ball movement the goal teams are striving for.

You could argue Ratten was ahead of the curve in this one aspect.

I'm confident enough that Ratten having spent time as an assistant under Clarkson during a highly successful period will have learned the importance of balance between offence and defence and return a better coach.

Looking at the stats I've provided and given the circumstances of the Carlton side when he took over I think he's been harshly marked and out of the all coaches labelled "failed" he's the one who absolutely deserves a second chance and should be one of the first interviewed should we miss finals.

The only question for me is does he want another senior coaching position after the turmoil his family went through after the death of his son.

Roos not the answer and we would need to be looking outside of the club... No more Ex Collingwood people.

Stuart Dew or John Blakey? Both names always seem to pop up in a "senior coach role" talk. I feel Dew is next in line though, and Blakey may be happy with his role?

Brett Ratten - Worked with Clarko for a while, and definitely would have learnt a lot.

John Barker? - Took over for part of the season at Carlton, but maybe not ready for a senior gig?

Is there any other names out there that aren't already Senior coaches?

I personally have no real interest in Roos unless he used in a mentor type role to give guidance to a first time coach and use his experience to grow the knowledge base of our assistants.

Even then the whole succession plan or coaching director role feels a little passe now.

Clarkson is a given if attainable though we'd need some strong minded people around him to keep him focused as he can be a bit of a handful by all reports.

I'm open minded to all assistant coaches and just want a thorough process followed to choose the best candidate.

On Ratten while he didn't work miracles it's good to look a little deeper at his time at Carlton.

In his first full season he achieved 10 wins and the side finished 11th. They beat us twice. In the points for column they finished 6th.
In 2009 they had 13 wins and finished 7th. In the points for column they finished 3rd.
In 2010 they had 11 wins and finished 8th. In the points for column they finished 5th.
In 2011 they had 14 wins and finished 5th. In the points for column they finished 5th.
In 2012 they had 11 wins and finished 10th. In the point for column they finished 11th.

So in his first full season he achieved 1 win less than Carlton managed in total from years 2005-07. Big tick.

He got them into finals in his second season and for the first time since 2001. Big tick.

In 4 out of 5 years his sides points for column was equal or above they're finishing position. Relevant.

So basically one down year in 2012 was enough for Ratten to lose his job and we all know how poor Malthouse was in comparison.

I've highlighted the points for column as his side outside 2012 never had a problem playing attacking high scoring football it was the defensive mechanisms that needed work.

I believe this is relevant because of how the game has now evolved with fast forward ball movement the goal teams are striving for.

I'm confident enough that Ratten having spent time as an assistant under Clarkson during a highly successful period will have learned the importance of balance between offence and defence and return a better coach.

Looking at the stats I've provided and given the circumstances of the Carlton side when he took over I think he's been harshly marked and out of the all coaches labelled "failed" he's the one who absolutely deserves a second chance and should be one of the first interviewed should we miss finals.

The only question for me is does he want another senior coaching position after the turmoil his family went through after the death of his son.

I haven't heard of any other coach that has been sat down by a leadership group and given KPI's if they were to continue to support him as coach. He would be a risk but we are also talking many years later having been under Clarko.

Sando is in the same boat as he also lost the players (and not for the crap rumours). He got a group to within 4 points of a grand final against a powerhouse. His performance in the media and self reflection as to his coaching failings since his sacking has been impressive.

Whatever happens, we need a strong and robust selection approach that involves a panel and not a grandfather offer to someone. At the very least if it is to be a grandfather offer they have to at least go through the interview process.

You sure? I thought it was all the medias fault

Great post. Had a good record with an ordinary list. MM showed how ordinary it was.
Has now spent several years under Clarkson. If he is not interviewed we are kidding ourselves.

Until this post I had no love for Ratten. Thanks for doing the research. It's shown me that he would be a serious candidate.

I like Ratten but not as a senior coach - bring him as the #1 assistant under Roos I think. I'm very big on Roos, he knows good footy and already knows exactly what we need to do to improve. One mid-week roasting a few weeks ago motivated our midfield to change more than anything Buckley has produced in six years. He'll fix us in no time and he has a very good track record of turning very ordinary players into very serviceable at worst - I think guys like Aish, Phillips and Broomhead would love a guy like Roos at the top.

Scott Burns.....

Largely unremarked for most of his playing career, but a legend player - in and under - and intelligent to boot. Did a stint west, has come back - is already there! Has had a chance to look at the players and see them from an opposition perspective. Probably would avoid the 'Great White hope' (and right now) expectations a higher profile type would attract, and give the playing style some breathing room/tweaks.

How about it?

Back