Hypothetical: Next Collingwood coach? (Think this is disrespectful? OK, OK, we get it)

Is this thread out of line?

• This is embarrassing, we should all be supporting Buckley.

• Buckley won't be coach forever, let's have an adult conversation about his replacement

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep Bucks.
Cleanout of everything else.

Again you are blaming everyone except the guy who has the final say in the team strategy & selection. Why?
Because you like him? Hey we all do, but that doesn't mean he should get a pass mark & everyone who has done as he says should perish. Buck stops with the head coach. Always has done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My best friend is adamant he isn't going anywhere and he has been right about a lot of these things. I think it's more likely that Buckley himself cuts the cord, then we firing him. Buckley is like Eddies surrogate kid.
I suspect that if Buckley isn't being offered a contract extension he will be afforded the dignity of resigning rather than being sacked.

I suspect that if Buckley isn't being offered a contract extension he will be afforded the dignity of resigning rather than being sacked.
The best situation for everybody is that the club offers Buckley a two year contract extension which he rejects and walks. Then all the pro Buckley and anti Buckley people will be universally happy.

Before i ask this i want to just say i am one who believes we need a new head coach.

But im curious, say Bucks got another year and next year we make finals, would all hating on keeping Bucks (myself included) be happy to admit we were wrong and the club made the right call? Genuinely curious
Good question but very difficult to answer as making finals is not enough, it depends on the manner in which we achieve it eg there's a big difference between making finals with injuries to key players versus limping in with a basically healthy list, just as finishing top 4 would be much better than low in the 8. Also would depend on whether there's a clear gameplan and improvements in our list composition and development of players.
Currently I'd hope we see big improvement next year from likes of Moore, JDG, Grundy, Maynard, Shaz, Ramsay & Broomhead;
at least some growth from Adams, Aish, Cox, Elliott, WHE, Phillips;
expect Crisp, Greenwood, Treloar, Fas, Howe, Langdon, Sidey, Pendles, Reid, Dunn & Sack to at least stay at current levels
is a question of whether Wells, Varcoe & Sinclair can get / stay on the park enough to make a difference
and whether we can devleop some of the others into best 25 / trade, recruit some more talent etc
Like I said a lot to judge it on not just ladder position.

The best situation for everybody is that the club offers Buckley a two year contract extension which he rejects and walks. Then all the pro Buckley and anti Buckley people will be universally happy.
A better situation would be a time machine to correct some of the mistakes of the last 6 years but I see your point. If Buckley decides he's going I'd hope he'd afford the club the 'saving of face' of not having their extension offer rejected.

Brett Ratten.
Did not a bad job with the putrid list that was Carltank.
Now several years at the premier club of the last half decade.
From what I understand though, Collingwood will only "appoint a current senior coach" to replace the car crash that was the Captains pick.
So there isn't much to choose from. Which is exactly what the Captain wants.
Sad if true as for all Eddie's pluses it shows he's not kept with the times. Trying to poach 'proven' costs $$ and means you either have to pay over the top taxes or crimp in other ways which will just hurt performance.

Not sure why we'd want to take a punt on another unproven coach like Dew or Caracella when our current unproven coach isn't ticking he boxes.

Either we get a veteran coach with runs on the board or stick with Buckley.

Back