Strategy Hypothetical Pick Trade Thread

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
For discussion around possible Pick swaps heading into, or during, the draft

What is/ isn't fair, which picks are going to be the hottest property, the players that'll be in every clubs sights on night 2, etc.!

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would Sydney be willing to offer 14+17+2023 1st (or 2nd) - That's probably what North would want.
I just don’t think that’s a good deal that future 1st is likely to be late teens too.

Whilst there is value in the number of picks the potential quality of a pick 3 has a far greater ceiling than three teens picks.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I just don’t think that’s a good deal that future 1st is likely to be late teens too.

Whilst there is value in the number of picks the potential quality of a pick 3 has a far greater ceiling than three teens picks.

You'd have a huge intake of 1st rounders across a 2 year period though, I suppose if you drafted well you could turn it into a dynasty. I get what you're saying though.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You'd have a huge intake of 1st rounders across a 2 year period though, I suppose if you drafted well you could turn it into a dynasty. I get what you're saying though.
Then you run the risk of turning out like st Kilda (I don’t mean offence to any sainters) they have a lot of good players but they lack enough elite players to get over that hump. North were the same when we were in the finals.

I never think it’s a good idea to trade true premium picks (1-5) for a collection of not as good ones, you just pass up on the truly elite players, sure sometimes players slip but if teams have those picks above let an elite player slip it’s luck not good planning

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Then you run the risk of turning out like st Kilda (I don’t mean offence to any sainters) they have a lot of good players but they lack enough elite players to get over that hump. North were the same when we were in the finals.

I never think it’s a good idea to trade true premium picks (1-5) for a collection of not as good ones, you just pass up on the truly elite players, sure sometimes players slip but if teams have those picks above let an elite player slip it’s luck not good planning
I understand, that's fair.

FrogDude

Team Captain
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

:(

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
? Saints fan? I don’t mean that as an insult, I think you have many good players I just see similarities between current stk and the Roos of 2012-2016.

Just needed a few more true elite players.

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea

I wouldn’t want the same deal for pick 4.

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good info.

Sydney would need a top 6 pick for humphrey imo and they dont have the currency to get up that far imo.
It would likely require 3 late firsts to get there (14, 17, F1), which I'm not sure they have an appetite for. I know most Hawks fans aren't too thrilled at the idea of 6 for 14+17 without some kind of substantial sweetener.

Potentially:
F1

for:
4, 5, 6 (Humphrey)
Current or Future 2nd (Dons, WB via Hawks?)

It's a tough one, but if they really want him they'll find a way to get it done. Right now I'm not convinced they do, rather they want to see if they can get a steal for 14+17 since they don't rate that section of the draft.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
It would likely require 3 late firsts to get there (14, 17, F1), which I'm not sure they have an appetite for. I know most Hawks fans aren't too thrilled at the idea of 6 for 14+17 without some kind of substantial sweetener.

Potentially:
F1

for:
4, 5, 6 (Humphrey)
Current or Future 2nd (Dons, WB via Hawks?)

It's a tough one, but if they really want him they'll find a way to get it done. Right now I'm not convinced they do, rather they want to see if they can get a steal for 14+17 since they don't rate that section of the draft.

Only heard Kinnear and Dalrymple state they like Humpheries but nothing else outside of one interview.

If anything happens for picks it will be on draft night

Would you make that deal for Pick 7 ?
Isn't this your first pick inside the top 10 for a decade? I suspect Geelong's team is really keen to take it to draft

Son_Of_God29

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
Isn't this your first pick inside the top 10 for a decade? I suspect Geelong's team is really keen to take it to draft

If Clark isn't available then i would think they trade the pick also Mackie will want to get more into next years draft

Currently (if Geelong go B2B) then we would have pick 18 then pick 96

Depends if clarks there if he is we take him.
If he goes at 4/5/6 i can see us live trading back for say 13/14/15 and a future 1st (as we dont have many picks next year).

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Hawks are moving up with their late picks and might move the WB F2 into this draft. This is straight from the horse's mouth, Sammy and Mark have said so in interviews after the trade period.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hawthorn use those late picks to trade up to Brisbane's 34 (probably give them 36 since it makes no difference anyway) when the bid for Ashcroft comes in.

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wouldn't be surprised to see Hawthorn use those late picks to trade up to Brisbane's 34 (probably give them 36 since it makes no difference anyway) when the bid for Ashcroft comes in.
It's either that or try and grab Essendon Pick 22 through some future pick chicanery, I think I prefer to get 36 without giving up future picks. I think there's some really developable talent in the range in Long, Binns, Lemmey still has the bones of a star, Magor, D'Aloia, and a resident slider a la Draper or Taylor last year.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon indicating they'd trade down, and several clubs wanting to trade up, gives me the feeling if the player/s we want at the pointy end are off the board, then we will move down.

If Sheezel and Wardlaw are gone, I'd like a trade with the Saints
Pick 4 and 22 for their pick 9 and next years first. Which also helps us with a potential Davey bid at 22.

Last edited:

botts

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Essendon indicating they'd trade down, and several clubs wanting to trade up, gives me the feeling if the player/s we want at the pointy end are off the board, then we will move down.

If Sheezel and Wardlaw are gone, I'd like a trade with the Saints
Pick 4 for their pick 9 and next years first.
Not aure the saints would do that. Maybe a future second but definitely not a future first

Back