Hypothetical Should Australia and NZ merge?

Remove this Banner Ad

My first thought was a retort, but then I actually explored the claim a little.

Turns out, only 12% of convicts were Irish, with the majority of Irish settlers coming between 1788 and 1921. Bear in mind that the religious and cultural differences - severe enough to create flashpoints in Northern Ireland pretty recently - were sufficient to create the 'them vs us' mindset you see in a lot of our colonial narratives between Irish settlers and the establishment. And we supposedly love an underdog.

Still, useful to have a look at my biases.
I appreciate the research.

Lets not overdo the amount of credit the Irish deserve. The vast majority of settlers were English (majority from southern England), with a relatively small number from the other 3 home nations.

Broader comment - Why is there always this bizarre attempt to overstate the Irish contribution and minimise the English contribution to Australia? I notice this in America too. I guess people like to feel "unique" by identifying with the beleaguered "other".

It isn’t about over or understating English, Irish or Scottish. Rather it was a reference to relative influence which resulted in different accents and culture.

There are also many other contributing factors to be acknowledged including free settlement, religion, industry, racism and other nationalities.

Broader comment - Why is there always this bizarre attempt to overstate the Irish contribution and minimise the English contribution to Australia? I notice this in America too. I guess people like to feel "unique" by identifying with the beleaguered "other".

The first law of pride, the less you have to be proud of the more you say how proud you are. It really is quite pathetic.

You dont hear the poms bang on about how proud they are.

Because the English were genocidal colonialists and the Irish were loveable underdogs.

You dont hear the poms bang on about how proud they are.
Are you taking the piss? They never seem shut up about their empire.

Because the English were genocidal colonialists and the Irish were loveable underdogs.

Lol.

Are you taking the piss? They never seem shut up about their empire.

Well it was certainly the greatest empire the world has known.

Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NZ was founded with a Scottish mindset and Australia Irish. Scottish was conservative and engineering focused, whilst the Irishvrisk taking. Thus we ended up with very different outlooks and cultures.

We'd have become a republic in the 1950s if the Irish influence was a foundational as you think. British ethnicity was always stronger until sectarianism petered out. Difference to New Zealand is they had less Irish moving there (I assume because the cities were fewer and smaller).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back