List Mgmt. Hypothetical trades and wishlists thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all thought the same when Burgoyne arrived! The knee injuries this year are a concern but he is an elite rebounding half back flanker and may fill a void left by Heath Shaw retiring - for example.

Burgoyne did arrive at the age of 27 though, which is 3 years younger than Birch is currently.

I know Whitfield is contracted until the end of next year. As for Shiel and Coniglio, I think their contracts expire in 2019.

Whitfield is the player Hawthorn should go all out to get right now. The reason they should move to get him this year is to stop the other Victorian clubs from trying to get him next year.
I agree, Whitfield would be my first choice with Cogniglio a close second. Both quality ball users and the right age.

Fagan would be keen on getting someone like Birchall to provide some run and leadership in the backhalf, you'd think.

What's our 2018 pick worth ?

Would teams just value it at around this years pick, eg 7 or would they value it a bit more with our retirements and it being a good draft ? or less given our mid season form and our injuries ?

I know Whitfield is contracted until the end of next year. As for Shiel and Coniglio, I think their contracts expire in 2019.

Whitfield is the player Hawthorn should go all out to get right now. The reason they should move to get him this year is to stop the other Victorian clubs from trying to get him next year.

I don't think the former would be a worry. . going for Him now wouldn't stop clubs going for him now. Just have that little chat that when his contract comes to an end we will be interested.

Just think Birch and Poppy would be great additions for GWS. Birchall to replace Shaw and Puopolo to replace Stevie J plus the defensive pressure which GWS desperately need.

Yeah your not wrong in that regard both players would be decent upgrades in a couple of the only positions this GWS team need upgrading in.

What's our 2018 pick worth ?

Would teams just value it at around this years pick, eg 7 or would they value it a bit more with our retirements and it being a good draft ? or less given our mid season form and our injuries ?

I reckon teams would be expecting it to fall anywhere from 6-12 to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we start trading our players (including premiership players) when they are over 28 years of age based on how many good years they have left to give us then I think that secret is going to get out to our current and future players under 28.

We give one year contracts when players turn 30.

Who was the last decorated servant we traded against their will?????

Just sayin

I see zero value in trading out players for picks in the 40's and 50's. We'll need all the depth we can get next year. I'd rather keep Birch and Poppy then let them go for peanuts.
Why?

We won't be winning a flag in 2018.

I see zero value in trading out players for picks in the 40's and 50's. We'll need all the depth we can get next year. I'd rather keep Birch and Poppy then let them go for peanuts.
I don't think anyone is suggesting we let them go for peanuts. Some of these players will not land us ready made superstars, but they can help get in some young talent like a Matthew Kennedy (only an example). We need to move on some of these older players to make sure we have a good age demographic and don't have 4-5 players all retiring in 2-4 years.
Poppy for example has been linked to the Giants, if he could be part of a trade that could land us Matthew Kennedy it would be 100% worth it.

Why?

We won't be winning a flag in 2018.
Off course not, but surely we need all the experience we can get around Howe, Sicily, Burton, tob, cousins, Lovell, Hartung etc..
Hodgeys absence will leave a gaping hole that could be filled in some way by Birch and Stratts. Off course unless those players wanna play elsewhere for late career success.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we let them go for peanuts. Some of these players will not land us ready made superstars, but they can help get in some young talent like a Matthew Kennedy (only an example). We need to move on some of these older players to make sure we have a good age demographic and don't have 4-5 players all retiring in 2-4 years.
Poppy for example has been linked to the Giants, if he could be part of a trade that could land us Matthew Kennedy it would be 100% worth it.
OK, didn't know the poppy connection to GWS or nor do I know anything about Kennedy, if he is worth it then why not. Thanks for elaborating me on the potential gain.

Yeah but we still need Birchall. His penetrating kick is so underrated.

The only benefits are as I see it is salary dump & draft points.
If we can offload a couple of higher salaries to sign a Kelly, as an example, because we have our next gen signed up & they can fill the void from moving on Stratts, Smith & Poppy, as an example, & have some 3rd & 4rd picks thrown in somehow or upgrade picks we can use the points on CJ or Hayes as well as targeting someone like Aiden Bonar with an early second Rd pick from someone like Brisbane who would be frothing for someone like Birchall & possibly Wx.
Moving on some of these guys may seem harsh but if we are shooting for "silverware" as early as 2019 & 2018 is the last year of the fast track rebuild then it makes sense to dump these guys while they have currency now rather than taking a bucket of cold chips for them 12-24 months later.
All hypothetical of course.

This I agree with, if we can trade players for players that suit our needs and plan going forward better I'm all for it, but for low speculative picks I would be raging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back