Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Exactly, and you can't say that they haven't "Picked up the slack" when most are small and mid forwards, and the rest have been injured for more than 50% of the season to date.

2014 Grand Final List (Arguably our best side ever):

B: Grant Birchall Brian Lake Josh Gibson
HB: Matt Suckling Ben Stratton Sam Mitchell
C: Jordan Lewis Will Langford Brad Hill
HF: Luke Hodge Jarryd Roughead Isaac Smith
F: Ben McEvoy Jack Gunston Luke Breust
Foll: David Hale Liam Shiels Shaun Burgoyne
Int: Matthew Spangher Cyril Rioli Paul Puopolo Taylor Duryea

Potential 2018 Starting list (without trades):

B: Shaun Burgoyne, James Frawley, Ben Stratton
HB: Grant Birchall, Kaiden Brand, Ryan Burton
C: Billy Hartung, Jaeger O'Meara, Isaac Smith
HF: Tim O'Brien, Jarryd Roughead, Luke Breust
F: Cyril Rioli, Jack Gunston, Luke Hodge
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Tom Mitchell, Jono O'Rourke
Int: Liam Shiels, Stewart/Cousins, James Sicily, Blake Hardwick

Doesn't seem too horrible to me, in all honesty. If we can add a Jacob Hopper, or a Lachie Whitfield or a Jake Lever to that line-up I'd be very hopeful.

Surely Hodge will be giving it away and Burgers might too...

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I recon the Hawks should trade for Jack Trengove from the Dees. He is out of contract at the end of the year, is 25, a good user of the ball who runs all day and tackles. He can play inside or outside, is a good size (6'1) and hasn't missed a game due to his foot injury for a year and a half. Is a leader and I've not heard a bad word about his character.
He seems surplus to Melbourne's midfield requirements as he is playing for Casey and so likely would not "cost" too much. Could play in a number of positions. He seems a great "Moneyball" pickup.

What do we think, worth a punt?

Last edited:

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
"In the red corner we have the hard rebuilders, consistently & objectivity trading away our elder statesmen to bring the club back in line with age appropriate & hand picked talent. B graders out for speculative A grade potential & a chance at more silverware."
"....& in the blue corner we have the loyalists with rose coloured glasses on every player & every kid is going to be the next big role player. Craving patience & trusting in the system they are open to change but at what cost, if any other than a big fish at the right price."

Obviously tongue in cheek as my thoughts are in the red corner.
We can take another year of botoming out to flush out the playing list while doing a "Ross the Boss" rebuild this year & play to finish lower than capabilities would suggest. Trade back into the draft for a couple of early second round selections, target a trade player by trading for a first Rd that has elite potential & top up with a FA.

Next season gets us back into the first Rd at the draft, try & aquire another second rd trade, again hit the FA list....

The oldies would be gone, we would have (now kids) players hittting their prime & we would have a number of early picks back on the list & the dead wood floated away.

There would still be a couple of older heads to guide the list but the core of the group would be 24-25 with a stack of senior experience & ready to challenge in 2019.

It's an easy transition with the shortest amount of pain possible.

Enjoying the rebuild may seem foreign but it is a special part of enjoying the next premiership having seen the "kids" develop into more premiership heroes.

Hands up for the red corner!

#hopperisthetarget

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
"In the red corner we have the hard rebuilders, consistently & objectivity trading away our elder statesmen to bring the club back in line with age appropriate & hand picked talent. B graders out for speculative A grade potential & a chance at more silverware."
"....& in the blue corner we have the loyalists with rose coloured glasses on every player & every kid is going to be the next big role player. Craving patience & trusting in the system they are open to change but at what cost, if any other than a big fish at the right price."

We can take another year of botoming out to flush out the playing list while doing a "Ross the Boss" rebuild this year & play to finish lower than capabilities would suggest. Trade back into the draft for a couple of early second round selections, target a trade player by trading for a first Rd that has elite potential & top up with a FA.

Next season gets us back into the first Rd at the draft, try & aquire another second rd trade, again hit the FA list....

The oldies would be gone, we would have (now kids) players hittting their prime & we would have a number of early picks back on the list & the dead wood floated away.

There would still be a couple of older heads to guide the list but the core of the group would be 24-25 with a stack of senior experience & ready to challenge in 2019.

Enjoying the rebuild may seem foreign but it is a special part of enjoying the next premiership having seen the "kids" develop into more premiership heroes.

#hopperisthetarget

But I want Whitfield this year too god damn it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn

#hopperisthetarget
My hand is well and truly up for the red corner on the proviso we never go full ... Youth. No more than 7 players under 40 games.

NEVER GO FULL.... YOUTH

Last edited:

NICE1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I recon the Hawks should trade for Jack Trengove from the Dees. He is out of contract at the end of the year, is 25, a good user of the ball who runs all day and tackles. He can play inside or outside, is a good size (6'1) and hasn't missed a game due to his foot injury for a year and a half. Is a leader and I've not heard a bad word about his character.
He seems surplus to Melbourne's midfield requirements as he is playing for Casey and so likely would not "cost" too much. Could play in a number of positions. He seems a great "Moneyball" pickup.

What do we think, worth a punt?

Kidding aren't ya? Not interested in being the next North Melbourne (Team of plodders and list cloggers).

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Kidding aren't ya? Not interested in being the next North Melbourne (Team of plodders and list cloggers).
Understood on the North Melbourne reference. Trengove would fill a 3 year need during the rebuild. And just maybe he can fulfill the promise he had at the start of his career and become a very good player.
Whichever way he would help give our kids and possible fs's and academy kids time to develop. For mine the longer our kids spend time winning with Box Hill the better.

Any buying of a big fish over the age of 25 now WILL end result in the Hawks becoming a perennial 9th placed team.

Enjoy the rebuild, or morn during the mediocrity to come.

Last edited:

RudyBlue

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
One of our posters with pretty decent inside info made mention of us possibly seeking a trade favour from you guys at some point, given we gave you a hand last year.

Any idea how this could work?

One of our posters with pretty decent inside info made mention of us possibly seeking a trade favour from you guys at some point, given we gave you a hand last year.

We'll give you Clarko for Bolts.

Jack has been playing each week for 1.5 years... Your comment does not make sense... Unless you know more about his injuries and health... do you?
Whats his contract status?

He would be a good potential FA/DFA pick up if we need to fill a outside mid position.

He isnt the type we should be trading for though.

Its just we are rebuilding not topping up. He may have a role at afl level but we need to surround him with more guys like Burton 1st.

I said earlier we should try ro land 2-3 outside types with speed. But if we land a Lever or May instead of a Whitfield i wouldn't be against bringing in a type like trengove to fill a list need.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Article on AFL website about "out of favour players at your club" lists Schoenmakers for us an Aliir for the Swans.

If the Swans are still interested in Schoey then that's a straight swap I'd be pleased with.

Whats his contract status?

He would be a good potential FA/DFA pick up if we need to fill a outside mid position.

He isnt the type we should be trading for though.

Its just we are rebuilding not topping up. He may have a role at afl level but we need to surround him with more guys like Burton 1st.

I said earlier we should try ro land 2-3 outside types with speed. But if we land a Lever or May instead of a Whitfield i wouldn't be against bringing in a type like trengove to fill a list need.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He got a one year extension for this year, at the end he's out and I believe he's a free agent. He'll probably get delisted and I wouldn't trade for him - if we can get him the same way we got Henderson I'd be perfectly happy with it.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Article on AFL website about "out of favour players at your club" lists Schoenmakers for us an Aliir for the Swans.

If the Swans are still interested in Schoey then that's a straight swap I'd be pleased with.
What's the deal with Aliir? Loved him last year. It's weird how some players explode onto the scene and disappear almost straight away

Trent McKenzie was listed on the AFL Website "Why isn't he getting a game?" article and I love the type of player he is. Middle of the range age wise, definitely Clarko's type of player at a decent height of 191cm and with a ripping boot on him. I'd definitely look at him; we never really replaced that other attacking defender role.

ClarkoCommandos

Debutant
May 6, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Trade Sicily and unfortunately maybe 1 or 2 of our 3 time champs for a few first round picks. Heard Carlton interested in Sicily wound't mind seeing what they would offer. We badly need a big defender the idea of talia isn't too bad an idea and maybe worth the risk in the rookie draft or late pick.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love the grunt sicily offers. Can be a bit lazy at times but 9/10 times is one of the only ones flying for the mark up forward of late.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Wouldn't cost us much but at 22 Jay Kennedy-Harris is playing really good football at Casey. A big 39 disposals against Box Hill today, out of favour worth a 3rd rounder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's poo in the seniors.

VFL is probably his level.

The Offerman

All Australian
Oct 8, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Schoenmakers is a free agent.

2018 first for lachie whitfield and gws second

We already have their second.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Cringeworthy even posting this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back