Prediction Hypothetical trades, other clubs moves, draft smokies, salary guesswork and whatever else thread

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
Do you think that the days of the lumbering ruckman are coming to an end, in favour of the more mobile ruckman.
Pruess is 206cm and 109kgs (I know - dont believe heights and weight published on afl websites) - 109kgs is a lot to carry around.

By comparrison, Brodie Grundy is perhaps the most mobile ruckman in the competition - 203cm and 102kgs.
Our guys - BB is 200cm and 102kgs and Cegs is 204cm and 102kgs.
Event Pitts is 202cm and 105kgs - could probably drop a kg or 2 to be more mobile.

Lobb - prett mobile as well - 207cm and 106kgs.
Gawn - 208cm and 109kgs
Sandi - 211cm ad 118kgs...........he is going to be a big boy when he retires.

My point is, do you really want a 109kg ruckman lumbering around in your side, or do you want someone more mobile.
Guess it depends on the quality of the ruckman
probably want a more agile ruck man however my argument is that we don't need a ruck man.

I believe there is a limited market for ruck man who don't contribute around the ground whether that means they lumber or not it doesn't matter

Also. Theres a lot more to the agility and speed of players than their weight.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
Interesting that North have targeted Shaun Atley's brother Joe. It got me thinking about whether we would be interested in trading Tim O'Brien for Ports Joel Garner brother of Todd who is in our academy. Port would look at it especially when considering how vulnerable they look when Dixon is injured and Ryder limping to the line.

Garner was drafted at pick 60 but was considered by some to be a possible 1st rounder, might be another example of a slider in last years draft Worpel being another.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interesting that North have targeted Shaun Atley's brother Joe. It got me thinking about whether we would be interested in trading Tim O'Brien for Ports Joel Garner brother of Todd who is in our academy. Port would look at it especially when considering how vulnerable they look when Dixon is injured and Ryder limping to the line.

Garner was drafted at pick 60 but was considered by some to be a possible 1st rounder, might be another example of a slider in last years draft Worpel being another.

I’d trade O’Brien for a bottle of Gatorade (even an empty bottle), so to get a youngster back in return is a win in my book

Falco131415

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Would love this to occur, but as mentioned previously we'd be lucky to get a 5th rounder for TOB in this draft.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
He is slightly devalued by salary cap pressure and FA next year
Contracted, A-Grade, All Australian

Will cost a lot to get him across, but he is also only a restricted free agent next year (i think) so they can possibly match and force a trade anyway. I don't mind paying up to get him across a year earlier.

Real hard to know what I'd be willing to give up for Shiel, our 1st rounder wouldn't get it done and I don't think I'd be willing to give much more.
Our 1st Rounder in this draft is more than they'd get as compensation if he left as a RFA next year, so our 1st is fine.

The problem isn't our 1st, it's that other idiot clubs may offer more. Even the 1st Scum Pick is worth more than our 1st.

Also depends where he wants to go.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I would love to know why people are just so keen on Coniglio over Shiel, and also why they think he is a better fit? He is a star and one of my favourite players, would love him at Hawthorn, but i can't understand why people are so obsessed with him. Is it just because we have had his name thrown around for a long time and he is friends with Jaeger? If we wants to come great, but the constant "no thanks i would rather Coniglio" is crazy to me.

Shiel is an elite runner, with good foot skills, break away peace and can play inside and out. We have the midfield who can already win the ball and i think Shiel would excel in our current midfield and would love to have him delivering the ball inside 50 for us.

Kinghts 24

Senior List
Apr 28, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would take Shiel in a heart beat, better than Coniglio IMO. Maybe it's the left footer thing.

And any sentence that has the words 'trade Ceglar' and 'get Shiel' (plus draft picks) is a winner for me.

Love Ceglar but would be a classic money ball trade - taken as a rookie and traded (in part) for Shiel.

Dreams are free i guess.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
I would love to know why people are just so keen on Coniglio over Shiel, and also why they think he is a better fit? He is a star and one of my favourite players, would love him at Hawthorn, but i can't understand why people are so obsessed with him. Is it just because we have had his name thrown around for a long time and he is friends with Jaeger? If we wants to come great, but the constant "no thanks i would rather Coniglio" is crazy to me.

Shiel is an elite runner, with good foot skills, break away peace and can play inside and out. We have the midfield who can already win the ball and i think Shiel would excel in our current midfield and would love to have him delivering the ball inside 50 for us.
Exactly what I’ve been banging on about and you articulated it really well.

MC_9

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I imagine that if we were after Shiel this year, it would likely be this year's 1st Rd pick and next year's.

However would be hesitant, as he will be a FA next year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Would take Shiel in a heart beat, better than Coniglio IMO. Maybe it's the left footer thing.

And any sentence that has the words 'trade Ceglar' and 'get Shiel' (plus draft picks) is a winner for me.

Love Ceglar but would be a classic money ball trade - taken as a rookie and traded (in part) for Shiel.

Dreams are free i guess.

And having Pittonet to come in for Ceglar makes it all the more logical. I love Cegs and think he is undervalued - but if he can help us score a quality midfielder and we can retain Pittonet while we still have 2-3 years of McEvoy - then sign me up.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2018 first + 2019 first for shiel and gws 2018 second rounder Would do that in a heartbeat, the next 3 years he will be in his prime and still go into a strong draft with two 2nd round picks

Back