Preview Hypothetical Under 23 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Had some spare time, so I thought i'd put together a hypothetical Under 23 AA team heading into 2015.

For the purposes of the exercise, all players must be aged UNDER 23 (ie. 22 years and 364 days or younger) as of 01/01/15 (birth dates after 01/01/1992).

Please note, I have based this on AFL performance thus far, COMBINED WITH projected future potential, meaning I've avoided guys like Tom Boyd, Jesse Hogan etc who have not yet really proven themselves at the top level despite being rated very highly. However, I've gone with guys like Bontempelli, McStay, Luke McDonald and Brad Crouch who have had less game time than many of their competitors, but to me have shown enough to suggest that they will be truly elite and thus get the nod in my 22.

Here we go:

B: L.McDonald (NM), S.May (GC), T.McDonald (Mel)
HB: B.Smith (Adel), D.McStay (Bris), D.Swallow (GC)
C: B.Hill (Haw), D.Heppell (Ess) (vc), J.Macrae (WB)
HF: L.Parker (Syd) (c), T.Lynch (GC), J.O'Meara (GC)
F: J.Darling (WCE), J.Cameron (GWS), C.Wingard (Port)
R: B.Grundy (Coll), A.Treloar (GWS), O.Wines (Port)
Int: M.Bontempelli (WB), J.Daniher (Ess), B.Crouch (Adel)
Sub: H.Bennell (GC)

Emg / unlucky not to make it: S.Mayes (Bris), T.Menzel (Carl), B.Ellis (Rich), D.Shiel (GWS), L.Dahlhaus (WB), D.Prestia (GC), J.Elliott (Coll), A.Miles (Rich), J.Stringer (WB), J.McGovern (WCE), L.Neale (Fre), C.Guthrie (Geel), T.Mitchell (Syd), J.Patton (GWS), A.Gaff (WCE), L.Dunstan (StK), J.Polec (Port), T.McKenzie (GC), T.Greene (GWS), W.Langford (Haw), S.Atley (NM), D.Smith (GWS), K.Kolodjashnij (GC), J.Viney (Mel), D.Tyson (Mel), A.Johnson (Syd), Josh Kelly (GWS), J.Hombsch (Port), W.Hoskin-Elliott (GWS), J.Witts (Coll), S.Lycett (WCE), B.Brown (NM), L.Taylor (Bris), S.Day (GC), T.Liberatore (WB), T.Nicholls (GC), J.Clarke (Bris), J.Green (Bris)

Notes:
The rucks and KPPs were extremely difficult to separate. I feel Grundy has shown the most potential of any of the under 23 ruckmen in the league to have played more than a handful of games, despite having a disappointing 2014. I went with Daniher in a forward pocket to provide ruck support rather than selecting another true ruckman on the bench.

Darling isn't really a true CHF, but I found this pretty much the weakest / most shallow position on the ground, and feel he has the most runs on the board as a true forward. My only other consideration here was Daniel McStay, who I ended up putting at CHB as I see him as more of a Harry Taylor type long-term.

Pretty much everyone named as emergencies / unlucky not to make it is extremely stiff. The midfield / wing / half forward crop are ridiculously strong, and it's a shitty job trying to fit enough of them in.

The team overall probably lacks height, but there's just so many promising young mids / smalls that it's difficult to avoid this issue.

Post your teams here. I'm sure mine is different to most. :)

Last edited:
B: Jack Hombsch ~ Steven May ~ Luke McDonald
HB: Kade Kolodjashnij ~ T.McDonald ~ Brodie Smith

C: Brad Hill ~ Dyson Heppell ~ Jared Polec

HF: Harley Bennell ~ Jack Darling ~ Luke Parker
F: Joe Daniher ~ Jeremy Cameron ~ Chad Wingard

R: Brodie Grundy ~ Jaegar O'Meara ~ Oliver Wines

Int: Luke Dahlhaus ~ Trent Mckenzie ~ David Swallow
Sub: Adam Treloar

B: Luke McDonald, Justin Clarke, Brandon Ellis

HB: David Swallow, Tom McDonald, Brodie Smith

C: Bradley Hill, Toby Greene, Harley Bennell

HF: Devon Smith, Jack Darling, Luke Parker

F: Chad Wingard, Jeremy Cameron, Josh Green

R: Tom Nicholls, Dylan Shiel, Dion Prestia

INT: Brad Crouch, Andrew Gaff, Joe Daniher, Will Langford

I cbf to make my own team but Alex Johnson? I mean I know he's a good player but the guy hasn't played for a long long time now. Not sure why he's in the team.

Yeah I was struggling for a tallish defender back there and your point is valid. Edited and replaced with Tom McDonald.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bontempelli shouldn't make the cut based off one season. Not when you've got players like Prestia, B. Ellis (made AA squad), etc outside of it as unlucky who clearly outperformed him. I realise he's flavour of the month right now but I doubt he reaches their level for another couple seasons at least.

Bontempelli shouldn't make the cut based off one season. Not when you've got players like Prestia, B. Ellis (made AA squad), etc outside of it as unlucky who clearly outperformed him. I realise he's flavour of the month right now but I doubt he reaches their level for another couple seasons at least.

If it was based purely on performance so far, Bontempelli wouldn't be in.

I see elite potential there. Multiple AA potential. Had to slot him in. I combined current output with projected potential to form this squad, as stated in the original post.

Prestia was in my original draft but I ditched him for Treloar because I felt the team had enough short people and needed a bit more grunt. Prestia could easily end up being a more decorated player than some of the mids I selected - just the nature of the exercise really. You'd love to fit 32 in.

On Prestia - I'm not convinced that he can get MUCH better than he was in 2014 either. Lower ceiling than most other mids listed IMO. Excellent player though.

No love for Clarke OP? Easily best CHB in the comp under 23.

I like Clarke but I don't see him being as good a long-term player as McStay or May. May was very close to AA squad selection this year, and McStay I really like as that Harry Taylor type who can swing forward if necessary.

Again, I could be wrong, and Clarke may emerge as a better player than either. I should certainly have included him in the list of unlucky ones but I was always going to miss at least 1!

Being a Lions fan, I'm assuming this means you see Clarke as a better player moving forward than McStay? Or perhaps you envision McStay as a full time forward?

I like Clarke but I don't see him being as good a long-term player as McStay or May. May was very close to AA squad selection this year, and McStay I really like as that Harry Taylor type who can swing forward if necessary.

Again, I could be wrong, and Clarke may emerge as a better player than either. I should certainly have included him in the list of unlucky ones but I was always going to miss at least 1!

Being a Lions fan, I'm assuming this means you see Clarke as a better player moving forward than McStay? Or perhaps you envision McStay as a full time forward?
McStay IMO is a better forward who could pinch hit into the midfield later on, but in reality can play anywhere. Such a talent at his young age, with speed, athleticism and game awareness already far advanced for his age. On Clarke he is a bit ahead of McStay as a defender a bit raw but very good stopper. As a Lions poster on the Brisbane forum made aware Clarke had the least amount of goals scored on him for the year (out of the whole comp.) until the last round against Geelong when Hawkins ripped him a new one (kicked 7 IIRC). Needs more strength to handle the Gorillas like Hawkins but all Lions fans are extremely happy to have him on board. I would easily class him the best defender under the age of 23 although May did play exceptionally well this season as well.

McStay is the most exciting prospect on our list and could be anything, IMO.

Witts is better than Grundy currently.

and not a fan of midfielders getting spots on the flanks, much rather see an actual back flanker and forward flanker on there respective flanks, Langdon and Elliot for example.

Witts is better than Grundy currently.

and not a fan of midfielders getting spots on the flanks, much rather see an actual back flanker and forward flanker on there respective flanks, Langdon and Elliot for example.

Brodie Smith is coming off an AA season on a half-back flank, and David Swallow has spent the majority of his career back there, although he played more through the midfield in 2014. Both no-brainers for me. Langdon is solid but his upside is pretty low - can't personally ever see him making an AA team. Elliott was very unlucky however. Had him in originally in a forward pocket, but he got squeezed out in favour of Daniher because the team lacked height (before I moved Daniher to the bench). Parker has played a lot on a flank due to Sydney's ridiculous midfield depth, and O'Meara simply needed to be in the team somewhere because he is a freak who will almost definitely win a Brownlow. I think half forward will suit him, with bursts through the midfield (a la Stevie J / Chapman in their prime).

I agree that Witts is currently better than Grundy, but Grundy's upside is far greater IMO which got him the nod. That latter part of 2013 was absolutely ridiculous from a ruckman that young (Grundy) and I'm not jumping off him as an elite prospect like some have.

B: Luke McDonald, Justin Clarke, Brandon Ellis

HB: David Swallow, Tom McDonald, Brodie Smith

C: Bradley Hill, Toby Greene, Harley Bennell

HF: Devon Smith, Jack Darling, Luke Parker

F: Chad Wingard, Jeremy Cameron, Josh Green

R: Tom Nicholls, Dylan Shiel, Dion Prestia

INT: Brad Crouch, Andrew Gaff, Joe Daniher, Will Langford

Pretty fascinated by no Heppell or O'Meara. Don't rate them? It's all subjective of course, but they were two I figured would be in everyone's team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back