Preview Hypothetical Under 23 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I pretty clearly stated in my OP that I was combining current output with future projections / potential. If you don't like that formula, that's fine. I'm not forcing it upon you.

Well then it's not an AA team is it genius?

Had some spare time, so I thought i'd put together a hypothetical Under 23 AA team heading into 2015.

For the purposes of the exercise, all players must be aged UNDER 23 (ie. 22 years and 364 days or younger) as of 01/01/15 (birth dates after 01/01/1992).

Please note, I have based this on AFL performance thus far, COMBINED WITH projected future potential, meaning I've avoided guys like Tom Boyd, Jesse Hogan etc who have not yet really proven themselves at the top level despite being rated very highly. However, I've gone with guys like Bontempelli, McStay, Luke McDonald and Brad Crouch who have had less game time than many of their competitors, but to me have shown enough to suggest that they will be truly elite and thus get the nod in my 22.

Here we go:

B: L.McDonald (NM), S.May (GC), T.McDonald (Mel)
HB: B.Smith (Adel), D.McStay (Bris), D.Swallow (GC)
C: B.Hill (Haw), D.Heppell (Ess) (vc), J.Macrae (WB)
HF: L.Parker (Syd) (c), T.Lynch (GC), J.O'Meara (GC)
F: J.Darling (WCE), J.Cameron (GWS), C.Wingard (Port)
R: B.Grundy (Coll), A.Treloar (GWS), O.Wines (Port)
Int: M.Bontempelli (WB), J.Daniher (Ess), B.Crouch (Adel)
Sub: H.Bennell (GC)

Emg / unlucky not to make it: S.Mayes (Bris), T.Menzel (Carl), B.Ellis (Rich), D.Shiel (GWS), L.Dahlhaus (WB), D.Prestia (GC), J.Elliott (Coll), A.Miles (Rich), J.Stringer (WB), J.McGovern (WCE), L.Neale (Fre), C.Guthrie (Geel), T.Mitchell (Syd), J.Patton (GWS), A.Gaff (WCE), L.Dunstan (StK), J.Polec (Port), T.McKenzie (GC), T.Greene (GWS), W.Langford (Haw), S.Atley (NM), D.Smith (GWS), K.Kolodjashnij (GC), J.Viney (Mel), D.Tyson (Mel), A.Johnson (Syd), Josh Kelly (GWS), J.Hombsch (Port), W.Hoskin-Elliott (GWS), J.Witts (Coll), S.Lycett (WCE), B.Brown (NM), L.Taylor (Bris), S.Day (GC), T.Liberatore (WB), T.Nicholls (GC), J.Clarke (Bris), J.Green (Bris)

Notes:
The rucks and KPPs were extremely difficult to separate. I feel Grundy has shown the most potential of any of the under 23 ruckmen in the league to have played more than a handful of games, despite having a disappointing 2014. I went with Daniher in a forward pocket to provide ruck support rather than selecting another true ruckman on the bench.

Darling isn't really a true CHF, but I found this pretty much the weakest / most shallow position on the ground, and feel he has the most runs on the board as a true forward. My only other consideration here was Daniel McStay, who I ended up putting at CHB as I see him as more of a Harry Taylor type long-term.

Pretty much everyone named as emergencies / unlucky not to make it is extremely stiff. The midfield / wing / half forward crop are ridiculously strong, and it's a shitty job trying to fit enough of them in.

The team overall probably lacks height, but there's just so many promising young mids / smalls that it's difficult to avoid this issue.

Post your teams here. I'm sure mine is different to most. :)

Why you'd have Bontempelli and Daniher in the team is beyond me. While I rate both and reckon they'll be terrific players you're clearly picking them far too much on hype and not output.

Put Prestia and Liberatore in their place.

Why you'd have Bontempelli and Daniher in the team is beyond me. While I rate both and reckon they'll be terrific players you're clearly picking them far too much on hype and not output.

Didn't you hear him? It's a potential team :rolleyes:

B: L.McDonald (NM), S.May (GC), T.McDonald (Mel)
HB: B.Smith (Adel), D.McStay (Bris), D.Swallow (GC)
C: B.Hill (Haw), D.Heppell (Ess) (vc), J.Macrae (WB)
HF: L.Parker (Syd) (c), T.Lynch (GC), J.O'Meara (GC)
F: J.Darling (WCE), J.Cameron (GWS), C.Wingard (Port)
R: B.Grundy (Coll), A.Treloar (GWS), O.Wines (Port)
Int: M.Bontempelli (WB), J.Daniher (Ess), B.Crouch (Adel)
Sub: H.Bennell (GC)

Emg / unlucky not to make it: S.Mayes (Bris), T.Menzel (Carl), B.Ellis (Rich), D.Shiel (GWS), L.Dahlhaus (WB), D.Prestia (GC), J.Elliott (Coll), A.Miles (Rich), J.Stringer (WB), J.McGovern (WCE), L.Neale (Fre), C.Guthrie (Geel), T.Mitchell (Syd), J.Patton (GWS), A.Gaff (WCE), L.Dunstan (StK), J.Polec (Port), T.McKenzie (GC), T.Greene (GWS), W.Langford (Haw), S.Atley (NM), D.Smith (GWS), K.Kolodjashnij (GC), J.Viney (Mel), D.Tyson (Mel), A.Johnson (Syd), Josh Kelly (GWS), J.Hombsch (Port), W.Hoskin-Elliott (GWS), J.Witts (Coll), S.Lycett (WCE), B.Brown (NM), L.Taylor (Bris), S.Day (GC), T.Liberatore (WB), T.Nicholls (GC), J.Clarke (Bris), J.Green (Bris)

:)
Based on this I'd go,

FB: S.May - Hombsch - B.Ellis
HB: B.Smith - J.Clarke - Atley
C: B.Hill - Heppell - D.Swallow
HF: Parker - T.Lynch - D.Smith
F: Darling - J.Cameron - Wingard
R: Nicholls - Prestia - Wines
B: Liberatore - Macrae - O'meara
S: Bennell

Didn't you hear him? It's a potential team :rolleyes:
Keyboard-warrior.png

How 'bout actually contributing to the discussion at hand instead of being a smart ass at every opportunity. This exercise is purely subjective if you hadn't noticed. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

B: Jack Hombsch ~ Steven May ~ Luke McDonald
HB: Kade Kolodjashnij ~ T.McDonald ~ Brodie Smith

C: Brad Hill ~ Dyson Heppell ~ Jared Polec

HF: Harley Bennell ~ Jack Darling ~ Luke Parker
F: Joe Daniher ~ Jeremy Cameron ~ Chad Wingard

R: Brodie Grundy ~ Jaegar O'Meara ~ Oliver Wines

Int: Luke Dahlhaus ~ Trent Mckenzie ~ David Swallow
Sub: Adam Treloar
There are a host of other young guns better than Jared Polec. Otherwise solid list.

Keyboard-warrior.png

How 'bout actually contributing to the discussion at hand instead of being a smart ass at every opportunity. This exercise is purely subjective if you hadn't noticed. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would but I have no idea what the hell this thread is. You have made it too wishy washy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, careers of Bont and Daniher may eventually eclipse those of others proposed but neither have had significant enough impact yet to warrant inclusion ahead of those others. Seems to be a bit of a drift between picking on form and performances to date and longer term potential. Need to clarify what the intension of the OP was.

Based on this I'd go,

FB: S.May - Hombsch - B.Ellis
HB: B.Smith - J.Clarke - Atley
C: B.Hill - Heppell - D.Swallow
HF: Parker - T.Lynch - D.Smith
F: Darling - J.Cameron - Wingard
R: Nicholls - Prestia - Wines
B: Liberatore - Macrae - O'meara
S: Bennell

Finally someone has put in at FB an U/23 who has held Buddy to 2 goals and one was as a result of a blantant push in the back missed by the green idiots.

Talia is too old. Frost is not at the level of McStay or Hombsch.

Seriously! Frost is not at their level? Hombsch played predominantly as a 3rd tall defender behind Trengove and Carlile, McStay only played 9 games and about half of them as a forward, Frost played on all the key forwards (you know, the Franklin, Riewoldt, Hawkin, Kennedy types) and rarely conceeded multiple goals to a direct opponent. I know who I'd rather have maning those types.

Talia turned 23 in October so he'd definitely still qualify for any 2014 U23 side. And he's clearly among the best KPDs in the league. For the record, just checked and Talia was actually named at full back in the AFLs 2014 All-Australian U23 team, Hombsch, McStay, and Frost not included.

Enjoy these type of threads but for future reference if you're going to establish hypothetical discussions define the paramaters at the start rather than just making them up as you go along.

Agree, careers of Bont and Daniher may eventually eclipse those of others proposed but neither have had significant enough impact yet to warrant inclusion ahead of those others. Seems to be a bit of a drift between picking on form and performances to date and longer term potential. Need to clarify what the intension of the OP was.

The intention of the OP was clearly stated in the OP. I combined current output with future potential. For me, Daniher is a unique forward talent, and at over 200cm he'd be in the first 10 guys I'd poach in the entire league if I was building a team today.

Bontempelli is also a very unique talent, and despite only having a handful of games under his belt, he's already proven a match-winner (won a game off his own boot against Melbourne) and he could be absolutely anything. Fast forward 3 years from now and we could easily have a superstar of the league on our hands. Some may disagree - that's fine. Post a team without him in it. He only just made the cut in mine.

It is blatantly obvious that neither of these guys would be in a 22 based purely on their careers so far, and if people want to post teams based purely on what players have done to this point, I'm absolutely fine with that and I encourage it. Just because it isn't what I did (or what I said I was doing) doesn't make either option correct or wrong.

Also, me rating players like B Crouch and A Treloar marginally ahead of Prestia and Liberatore doesn't make it correct or wrong. Prestia and Libba have clearly done more overall to date, and many would be perfectly entitled to assume that they'll continue to do more in the future. My opinion is that Crouch and Treloar will eclipse them, perhaps as soon as 2015. My opinion may be proven wrong and I accept that. Many may not be aware that both Crouch and Treloar actually average more disposals per game than Libba already (overall, and in 2014), despite being younger. It's not all about disposals of course, but I'm sure some would be surprised by this, especially considering Libba is such a high accumulator who doesn't exactly hit the scoreboard a whole lot. Crouch and Treloar are both absolute monsters, and are perhaps underrated in some parts due to people not seeing them as much as Libba and co.

Nobody is ever going to agree on the same 22, regardless of the formula. Post one, or don't. The 'waaa, player x is way better than player y, I can't take you seriously' stuff is pointless.

Seriously! Frost is not at their level? Hombsch played predominantly as a 3rd tall defender behind Trengove and Carlile, McStay only played 9 games and about half of them as a forward, Frost played on all the key forwards (you know, the Franklin, Riewoldt, Hawkin, Kennedy types) and rarely conceeded multiple goals to a direct opponent. I know who I'd rather have maning those types.

Talia turned 23 in October so he'd definitely still qualify for any 2014 U23 side. And he's clearly among the best KPDs in the league. For the record, just checked and Talia was actually named at full back in the AFLs 2014 All-Australian U23 team, Hombsch, McStay, and Frost not included.

Enjoy these type of threads but for future reference if you're going to establish hypothetical discussions define the paramaters at the start rather than just making them up as you go along.

I clearly established parameters in the OP. Birth dates after 01/01/92. Talia doesn't qualify. Have you even read it?

Frost is a pretty handy player but my opinion is that he's not deserving of a spot in this side. In your opinion, he is. How about posting a 22?

Yeah, sorry, my mistake. I was thinking this was actually a conversation based on evidence and reality.... my bad...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back