Expansion Hypothetical, Would you follow a franchise Vic team in the AFL?

Would you follow a franchise Vic team if your current team would not be in the national comp?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Over the years on BF I have repeatedly been perplexed as to why Non vic team supporters dropped their SANFL (Port excepted) and WAFL teams like a bad habit in favour of a start up to compete in a national league. To date I still don't have a definitive reason as to why this took place.

I wonder if it would be the same for Vic team supporters, would you do likewise?

If for example the VFL was the VFL as it was previous to the national comp and Vic would have it's own franchise teams in a national league, would you continue to follow your own team and disregard the national comp? Would you adopt it as a 2nd team with a passing interest or a big interest?

Why or why not?

The point of the question(s) and the poll is to see whether or not a separate VFL as a stand alone would retain it's supporter base and be the biggest league or would it lose it's base to new franchise teams in a national comp. Obviously there'd be varying degrees of support / non support.

While I'm aware that non vic team supporters will probably take advantage of the poll, the discussion would still show some reflection. As a request please don't use the poll to skew the view(s).

Discuss.

Over the years on BF I have repeatedly been perplexed as to why Non vic team supporters dropped their SANFL (Port excepted) and WAFL teams like a bad habit in favour of a start up to compete in a national league. To date I still don't have a definitive reason as to why this took place.

I wonder if it would be the same for Vic team supporters, would you do likewise?

If for example the VFL was the VFL as it was previous to the national comp and Vic would have it's own franchise teams in a national league, would you continue to follow your own team and disregard the national comp? Would you adopt it as a 2nd team with a passing interest or a big interest?

Why or why not?

The point of the question(s) and the poll is to see whether or not a separate VFL as a stand alone would retain it's supporter base and be the biggest league or would it lose it's base to new franchise teams in a national comp. Obviously there'd be varying degrees of support / non support.

While I'm aware that non vic team supporters will probably take advantage of the poll, the discussion would still show some reflection. As a request please don't use the poll to skew the view(s).

Discuss.
Then post it on the VFL board.

Had you have taken a poll of SA and WA supporters prior to their entry to the AFL you would have got a strong negative result. The reality was different and it was a sad outcome for many proud clubs with a long history.

To pretend Victorian fans would be different is absurd and disrespectful.

Some would of course continue to follow their club in the second tier comp. Many would do so while also adopting the new club in the top competition.

Over time the second tier club's support would decline as would their revenue. These things are obvious and inevitable.

Then post it on the VFL board.

Had you have taken a poll of SA and WA supporters prior to their entry to the AFL you would have got a strong negative result. The reality was different and it was a sad outcome for many proud clubs with a long history.

To pretend Victorian fans would be different is absurd and disrespectful.

Some would of course continue to follow their club in the second tier comp. Many would do so while also adopting the new club in the top competition.

Over time the second tier club's support would decline as would their revenue. These things are obvious and inevitable.

The VFL board? Not much traffic there.

I'm not "pretending" anything, I'm merely asking a valid question to gauge which league would garner the support of Vic supporters the VFL or the national.

If you've taken offence to it (seems likely) then just ignore and don't post.

All the fans still with clubs would say no of course.

It's always a no until you have no choice other than to stop watching.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Well that's why the question, if the majority of Vic team supporters would dump their current team in favour of a start up. That would determine the "choice" wouldn't it?

The VFL board? Not much traffic there.

I'm not "pretending" anything, I'm merely asking a valid question to gauge which league would garner the support of Vic supporters the VFL or the national.

If you've taken offence to it (seems likely) then just ignore and don't post.
Or I could choose not to follow your instruction.

Well that's why the question, if the majority of Vic team supporters would dump their current team in favour of a start up. That would determine the "choice" wouldn't it?
The point is they dont have to at the moment.

In 1997 I would of talked tough about Balmain saying "No Never".
Bit different to when it actually happened in 2000.

Last edited:
How do you know they don't still support their local club?

Who is they? Are you talking about WA and SA fans? If so it's evident that those state leagues and their teams don't garner the same support as the new teams in the afl from the locals.

Living in WA I know a couple sandgropers that have retained support for their vfl team before the WC and Freo inceptions, but they're the anomaly. Most dumped their vfl and wafl team in favour of the start ups.

If for example the afl didn't include Collingwood I'd still follow Collingwood and wouldn't hold much interest in the afl. What about you? if Richmond weren't in the afl would you follow them to the the vfl? Would you support a franchise vic team in the afl? Both?

The point is they dont have to at the moment.

In 1997 I would of talked tough to about Balmain saying "No Never".
Bit different to when it actually happened in 2000.

Interesting reply, do you follow another team in the nrl? Do you follow the nrl at all now because Balmain and Western Subs are now merged?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I follow the Wests Tigers in the NRL.
But not anywhere near as much as when I followed Balmain.

OK, now I imagine if Collingwood merged I wouldn't be following them at all and would maybe not support the game anymore.

Trying to gauge how others view the scenario I've put up for thread.

A lot of people still support a WAFL team in addition to supporting their local AFL team so I'm not sure where you are getting your info from?

e.g. I still support the South Fremantle Bulldogs in addition to West Coast, if you check the WAFL threads on the Fremantle and West Coast board there is still a healthy interest there too

Why or why not?

Discuss.

In your hypothetical, you also need to include the fact that all of the best players in your existing teams don't play for your existing team anymore meaning that your existing team (Collingwood in your case) would be playing in a second tier comp with B grade players.

OK, now I imagine if Collingwood merged I wouldn't be following them at all and would maybe not support the game anymore.

Trying to gauge how others view the scenario I've put up for thread.
You say that now. You know that wont happen in your life time.

But things can change.

That's my point.

Why or why not?

Discuss.

There are similar parallels elsewhere in the sporting landscape ...

... eg: vast numbers of VFL / AFL supporters are happy to support the national soccer team at the World Cup, despite the competitions overlapping.

All the fans still with clubs would say no of course.

It's always a no until you have no choice other than to stop watching.

WAFL & SANFL fans still have their clubs. They abandoned them however (or made them their 'distant second' clubs).

WA & SA fans abandoned their clubs to join the bigger league.

VFL fans wouldn't have had that to attract them.

If a separate national/franchise comp had sprung up, it would probably have been smaller than the VFL, unless something truly massive was done. Being the established comp with the majority of the market makes you hard to push off the top position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back