Expansion Hypothetical, Would you follow a franchise Vic team in the AFL?

Would you follow a franchise Vic team if your current team would not be in the national comp?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So you're asking why people who follow teams in two different leagues follow the team in the bigger league more? The league with the better players, the better coverage, and the better standard of competition?

You're just going to have to stay perplexed I reckon. It's a mystery.

So you're asking why people who follow teams in two different leagues follow the team in the bigger league more? The league with the better players, the better coverage, and the better standard of competition?

You're just going to have to stay perplexed I reckon. It's a mystery.
Ok here's the question i asked before.

If West Coast for some reason folded, could you bring yourself to follow Freo?

I don't think loyalty is the right word, maybe tribalism is a better word?

I seriously couldn't see myself enjoying footy as much without the traditional rivalries i was brought up with.

Now there is true tribalism/rivalry involved in SA, WA and to a point NSW, would you change clubs to the rival if your club folded?
Or would you just support the local team?

And yes i know you had that in your state leagues, but you didn't have to choose to support a rival club, a new club was formed for you to support, with the exception of Port.

There have been a myriad of different ways that people have gone about supporting AFL clubs when the state leagues were relegated to 2nd tier. Many stuck with the VFL clubs they had already adopted, others jumped onto the new clubs that were formed. Some told the A(V)FL to stick it and never followed it -
Your hypothetical of 'would you change clubs to the rival if your club folded?' is not relevant to old SANFL/WAFL supporters - That's not what happened

For myself, the circumstances in 1991 with the Crows joining the AFL was mainly centered around the fact I was only 6 years old, and I was completely oblivious to the whole Port Adelaide trying to join and the SANFL reacting by forming the Crows. I knew SANFL clubs (i barracked for Norwood because of my grandpa) - My Dad went for Port (he took me to Alberton games occasionally when we lived close - I barracked for Port those days, unless they were playing Norwood - Mum kept telling me to be quiet when I actively barracked for Norwood at Alberton games. I also probably yelled out things like "GO REDLEGS" at quarter time not knowing what was going on) I came to know of the VFL only because of the 1990 pre season trial game between Port Adelaide & Geelong at Football Park that I was taken too - I thought Geelong were a new team, or a team I had somehow not known about yet - Dad explained where they were from but I don't know if I 'got it' -

Then the next year you had the Adelaide Crows. I remember watching the first game against Hawthorn. We recorded it and I re-watched it hundreds of times in my early years. But my football exposure at that point was so early that Adelaide being a new team was kinda irrelevant - Everything was still new to me.

There is a stinking privilege for Victorian supporters to be able to say they've only supported one club and can make up hypotheticals like they'd never switch teams and all that bullshit - I have a bit of envy for Port fans because they got to jump into the AFL, but they had to sell their identity to do it and they still struggle with that conflict

Then you get jokes like St Kilda parading around in the top flight because 120 years Junction Oval was the superior football surface in Melbourne

There is no justice in football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So really what the **** are you asking....hypothetically?? Are you just trying to .... hypothetically..... suggest that supporters of Victorian clubs are vastly more loyal and superior, because hypothetically given vastly different circumstances that aren't really comparable to what SA/WA fans went through 30 odd years ago, supporters of Victorian would never under any circumstances not continue to watch or ditch their clubs for any other alternative..... because that is exactly how it is coming across.

Wow hit a nerve did I? Firstly, no need to get your nose out of joint because as I've stated in the OP and many other times through the thread it's merely a question to see where the loyalties lay.

And you get your back up because I ask it? Talk about sensitive!

Mate, don't bother replying because I won't get into an argument with you just because you've taken the op the wrong way.

I'm a little confused as to what you are suggesting. Is it something like 4 teams from Victoria, 2 each from WA, SA, NSW and QLD? Possible additions from Tasmania and NT?

If that was the case, I'd imagine that it would be more likely that WCE and Fremantle would have higher initial support than a couple of the existing WAFL clubs. Most of the football followers in WA have aligned themselves with either the Eagles or Dockers. If you picked up a couple of the other teams, you would start off with about an eighth of the followers for each team and the rest would initially be confused.

If that is true that wc and freo would hold the most support rather than those supporters original clubs, I find that truly odd.

To follow a new team that a lot of their supporters are actually older than the "new" club they follow instead of the traditional wafl club that has been around for donkeys, I can't think a sensible reason why.

I'm not so certain that what you say is true.

If I may, could I suggest that you create a poll to find out?

Is this like asking how many people still follow the Victorian bushrangers after BBL came along and spawned Melbourne Stars and Renegades ?
That's probably a bit different. Don't know many people who live by any domestic cricket team the way they do with footy. But similar principle I guess. I started going for the Renegades for the first one or two seasons, then I switched to the Stars and it wasn't really an issue, now I doubt I could go the other way, its too ingrained in me. It'd take a while, but if Richmond was no longer an option in the highest league I'd pick up a team that is in it, and my interest would slowly increase over time, to the point where I care as much about the new team as I do about Richmond now. I suppose that's how it happened in particular with Adelaide/West Coast/Freo supporters.

Man you're being a dickhead hey,

Not sure why you're taking offence here, it was relevant and valid post.

Don't think you can wrap your head around why AFL teams get supported over state leagues.

It's because they play a higher standard of football.

If for example four super Vic teams were created back when nationalisation of the competition occurred. Thereby relegating all the Vic clubs to the VFL. They would establish themselves and the club's would be a distant memory.

That's true and guess where the higher standard players are going to end up? Where the biggest league is, and where is that? Where the biggest supporter base (market) is.

I don't need to tell you where that is, the question is as I've outlined in the op is would vic team supporters align with new start up clubs and take the market away from current vic clubs.

Not sure why you're taking offence here, it was relevant and valid post.

That's true and guess where the higher standard players are going to end up? Where the biggest league is, and where is that? Where the biggest supporter base (market) is.

I don't need to tell you where that is, the question is as I've outlined in the op is would vic team supporters align with new start up clubs and take the market away from current vic clubs.
And the answer is you're trolling. Creating a fantasy so you can pretend Victirian supporters are wonderful based on an imagined outcome.

The problem with that is that you’d have to introduce all of them - imagine if say Essendon and Carlton were added to a hypothetical league - no way would I support one of those sides. A more generic ‘Melbourne’ team (not associated with the dees), I could see myself following.

I did not state it was a possibility just an ideal.

Who is they? Are you talking about WA and SA fans? If so it's evident that those state leagues and their teams don't garner the same support as the new teams in the afl from the locals.

Living in WA I know a couple sandgropers that have retained support for their vfl team before the WC and Freo inceptions, but they're the anomaly. Most dumped their vfl and wafl team in favour of the start ups.

If for example the afl didn't include Collingwood I'd still follow Collingwood and wouldn't hold much interest in the afl. What about you? if Richmond weren't in the afl would you follow them to the the vfl? Would you support a franchise vic team in the afl? Both?

Rather than think of it happening as an instant thing, start with 20 years of your best players being poached as soon as they have a good season

This “national league” pinches every decent player leaving kids and guys who are too slow or lack skills to play in the big league.

You are watching reserves level footy every week.

The only time you see those stars that are poached is soo. Victoria wins her fair share of soo games - they are the games you start to look forward to most.

Then along comes an aggressively and parochially marketed team - the big v showing the league what victorian footy can do.

The best players from victoria who are playing for various teams in the nafl climb over themselves to be a part of it.

You switch the telly on and all the big v games are telecast - you cant help but notice that the team is a whole order of better than your vfl team. Young blokes you saw at your team have been playing the big leagues now for 4,5 or more years - they are superstars - the game is riveting - you go back to watch your club play in the vfl and its third rate.

So you start casually watching this new team - then regularly ... then you go to a game and instead of 10000 people at a local ground theres a capacity crowd baying for blood - the atmosphere is electric.

You are hooked....

AFlmembers1984-2016_aug13.png

check out the membership numbers in 1989

You get a reverse AFL league started where VFL clubs were absorbed, and a similar outcome in Victoria is happening with what happened to SA & WA

13,000 members ain't exactly the behemoth like the 70k+ you get these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back