Hypothetically - Would you swap these yesteryear premierships to be in Richmond's position now? (Carl, Coll, Ess & Melb)

Remove this Banner Ad

If the tigers of 96' can beat the roys of 96' by 150 points .

Then the tigers of 2020 would kick 20 goals by quarter time and dusty would be in the ice baths halfway through the 2nd
Ironic you brought up Fitzroy. It must of s**t you to no end AFL clowns kept bringing up that stupid stat as recently as 2016 that since 1983, that Richmond won as many finals as Fitzroy.

Not to mention the contestant crap that the 2010 tigers was the worst team since Fitzroy which was untrue.

Given the same training and fitness program, the Lions of 96 would cream the Tigers....
No they wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, there were some solid talent in that 1996 Fitzroy team in Martin pike, Jarrod Molloy, Stephen Paxman and Matty Primus but none of those blokes were as good as dusty.

I've been lucky enough to see / remember 5 Carlton premierships.

Was born in '68 so was too young to remember the '68,'70 & '72. I do however remember watching the '79 on television, was lucky enough to attend '81 & '82. Was old enough to celebrate the '87 with way too many drinks, and watched the '95 on TV as I was interstate at the time.

Each hold a special place as they occurred at different times in my life.
If I was to pick a favorite it would probably be '95 as I was old enough & mature enough to appreciate it a little more than the others. It was also a long 8 years since our last !!!

I wouldn't trade any of them, each hold a special place in my heart. I wouldn't change any that occurred before these as they would mean the same to those older than myself.

What I would say is, if we are lucky enough to win another before my time is up, for me, it will be the most special of them all.
That's because I grew up with an expectation that you just won premierships, its what Carlton did.

History has proven that was at the very least naïve, if not, outright ignorant.

My adult life has coincided with the worst period in Carlton's history. I was a young man of 27 when we won our last. I'm 53 now. A lot has changed in that time, but not the love for my footy team.

It's why you buy your membership, it's why you go whenever you can, it's why you yell at the telly when you can't. it's why you can't wait for each new season to begin. It's because each new season brings fresh hope that they may just win another, however a faint hope that may be.

Each year I hope that I get to share that next Carlton win with my Carlton supporting son.

He hasn't been as lucky as I was in his first 23 years, but that's what's going to make the next one so special.

So no, I wouldn't swap a thing, because to do so changes everything, it takes away the journey, it takes away my personal experiences.

And if you don't take the journey, does it really hold any value?
You and I live in a parallel universe, just different clubs.

You've experienced the euphoria of watching your club have premiership success - BUT, your son hasn't. I hope for you and your son's sake you do experience it soon enough. Like you, I experienced celebrating premiership success in my youth, but I can tell you the biggest joy 2017 gave me was seeing the joy on my adult children's faces. Finally thanking me for indoctrinating them into Tigerland against their will.

This is why, if Richmond was meandering in mediocrity I would have no hesitation swapping our 1st 6 for these 3. What happens in my time is the most important history. I reckon you would too ;)

Ironic you brought up Fitzroy. It must of sh*t you to no end AFL clowns kept bringing up that stupid stat as recently as 2016 that since 1983, that Richmond won as many finals as Fitzroy.

Not to mention the contestant crap that the 2010 tigers was the worst team since Fitzroy which was untrue.

Nah i love it,

Dogs of 2016 and Tigers of 2017 give hope too all clubs you can win a premiership. Especially since tigers were rebuilding during the AFL compromised drafts and expansion and destroyed the Orange ferrari

No they wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, there were some solid talent in that 1996 Fitzroy team in Martin pike, Jarrod Molloy, Stephen Paxman and Matty Primus but none of those blokes were as good as dusty.
I don't believe Richmond 2021 would win a game in any season up to 2000...the Tigers don't play football in 2021, they would be manhandled, buffeted and sent crying into the change rooms in any game they would play...

You and I live in a parallel universe, just different clubs.

You've experienced the euphoria of watching your club have premiership success - BUT, your son hasn't. I hope for you and your son's sake you do experience it soon enough. Like you, I experienced celebrating premiership success in my youth, but I can tell you the biggest joy 2017 gave me was seeing the joy on my adult children's faces. Finally thanking me for indoctrinating them into Tigerland against their will.

This is why, if Richmond was meandering in mediocrity I would have no hesitation swapping our 1st 6 for these 3. What happens in my time is the most important history. I reckon you would too ;)
It may be a parallel universe, though your last sentence underlines the how polar opposite we are in our viewpoints.
In fact, it has me questioning my capacity to express that viewpoint, or alternatively, your ability to comprehend it.

I would swap any of our Premierships for anything in the 1970s, 80s or 90s. It still irks me that we lost in 89, 92, 94 and 95 when REAL football was played. I'm happy the Cats won 3 flags, but the footy of the past 10 years is a shell of what it once was. They are athletes, not footballers. Richmond of 2021 wouldn't beat Fitzroy of 1996! Hawthorn of the 89s would be undefeated in the 20s. Modern-day flags don't have any of the same feeling or meaning as pre 2000. The AFL staggered on until approximately 2010, but who bloody knows what game it is they're playing this year!
This, kids, is bait

It may be a parallel universe, though your last sentence underlines the how polar opposite we are in our viewpoints.
In fact, it has me questioning my capacity to express that viewpoint, or alternatively, your ability to comprehend it.
That's fine, to you the knowledge of having so many premierships in the trophy cabinet regardless of when they were won is just as important as seeing them yourself. So the 1906 flag won by the Blues is just as important to you as the 1995 flag. Your response to the hypothetical is in the negative. Fine. Therefore, if you never see another one, you can rest comfortably in the knowledge Carlton have 16 premierships.

I'm not questioning the journey, every supporter of every team goes through that.

I don't believe Richmond 2021 would win a game in any season up to 2000...the Tigers don't play football in 2021, they would be manhandled, buffeted and sent crying into the change rooms in any game they would play...
no they wouldn't.

To say the current tigers team would not win a game until 2000 is hilarious.

Don't get me wrong. There were some very good sides in that 1990s period that made grand finals: your mob in 1992, 1994-5. West coast in the early 1990s. Carlton in 1993 and 1995 and 1999, Essendon in 1990 and 1993, crows in 1997-98 and north in that 1994-1999 period. A fair few sides made multiple grand finals in that 1990s era. Interesting trying to compare all those sides that each made grand finals to the Richmond side of 2017-2020.

Don't get me wrong, that 1990s decade was the peak of the AFL when it came to attacking footy.

Yet on the other hand, there were some horrible teams in the 1990s. Swans of 1992-4, Brisbane in 1990-93, Richmond from 1990-93, Freo in 1995-9, Fitzroy from 1994-6. Richmonds 2021 side would belt all those crap sides I mentioned.

This current Richmond side is a solid side.

no they wouldn't.

To say the current tigers team would not win a game until 2000 is hilarious.

Don't get me wrong. There were some very good sides in that 1990s period that made grand finals: your mob in 1992, 1994-5. West coast in the early 1990s. Carlton in 1993 and 1995 and 1999, Essendon in 1990 and 1993, crows in 1997-98 and north in that 1994-1999 period. A fair few sides made multiple grand finals in that 1990s era. Interesting trying to compare all those sides that each made grand finals to the Richmond side of 2017-2020.

Don't get me wrong, that 1990s decade was the peak of the AFL when it came to attacking footy.

Yet on the other hand, there were some horrible teams in the 1990s. Swans of 1992-4, Brisbane in 1990-93, Richmond from 1990-93, Freo in 1995-9, Fitzroy from 1994-6. Richmonds 2021 side would belt all those crap sides I mentioned.

This current Richmond side is a solid side.
The current Richmond side is good side in 2021, if they played in the 80s and 89s they would be massacred by the bottom team. Fitzroy 94-96 would win by 10 goals! It's hilarious that any sane person would even consider any comparison to a real football team from the 80s and 80s...Essendon of 2000 would win by 30 goals and Richmond might not even score!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would swap any of our Premierships for anything in the 1970s, 80s or 90s. It still irks me that we lost in 89, 92, 94 and 95 when REAL football was played. I'm happy the Cats won 3 flags, but the footy of the past 10 years is a shell of what it once was. They are athletes, not footballers. Richmond of 2021 wouldn't beat Fitzroy of 1996! Hawthorn of the 89s would be undefeated in the 20s. Modern-day flags don't have any of the same feeling or meaning as pre 2000. The AFL staggered on until approximately 2010, but who bloody knows what game it is they're playing this year!
Really?

Serious Question.....

Would you trade either the 2009 or 2011 premiership in exchange for either 1989, 1992, 1994 or 1995?

I dont think all cats would do it. But I reckon most cats would.

Most of those cats fans in that 1989-1995 era would love to see Garry Ablett senior, Barry Stoneham, Billy Brownless, Mark Bairstow, Paul Couch etc with a premiership medallion on their necks.

The current Richmond side is good side in 2021, if they played in the 80s and 89s they would be massacred by the bottom team. Fitzroy 94-96 would win by 10 goals!

How many Fitzroy games did you actually watch in 94-96?

im 33. Been a dockers fan since late 2001-early 2002. So yeah I have had very few highs points and a lot of low points
I've followed the Tigers my whole life, we were a laughing stock the entire time until recently. It can turn quick, the first signs are getting things right off field with good management, the on field then follows.

fu** me Richmond have the worst supporter base in the country. Not even Hawks fans were this bad.
The only fans I can think of that are worse are West Coast fans, can they ever stop whining over Richmond's recent success?

I know most of your clubs success is tainted by it's drug problems but do you Weagles need to mention Richmond in every thread?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back