Roast I’m a footballer so people shouldn’t criticise me

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m going to start moving posts to SRP threads, I know its a blurry line but this board in an AFL one so keep your posts (somehow) related to footy and players. Sorry if the threads get messed up a bit but it is what it is.

Cheers and thanks

Edit:
Ok I’ve done my best with one eye closed, please use the report button on anything that should be moved to SRP or crosses lines, it helps alot.
There ARE threads over there for Jordan Peterson, transgender, toxic masculinity…whatever your black heart desires.

Last edited:
The thing with Jim Jefferies is that the way he looks and the way he speaks definitely gives the impression he does not have a lot going on upstairs but he is actually a highly intelligent man, who just happens to speak like he is rather drunk most of the time.

He actually was drunk half the time, haha. Used to be a full blown alcoholic who got hammered on stage, but has cleaned up since and is still hilarious in his delivery. My best mate introduced me to him when he was first getting started, so I've been following him for years.

He says some stuff that is a bit offensive sometimes, but for the most part, he does what few comedians manage in this day and age - cuts through the BS and says/translates things in a way that nearly everyone can understand.

They present very simple arguments (often backed up bullshit, but nonetheless) that appeal to those who see the world as simple.

Unfortauntely, that's often the young.

I know how much more appealing a lot of conservative or RW s**t was when you are younger. Then you learn a bit about the world beyond your own suburb and other people.

I don't mean to sound condescending, or that young people are no good - that's not the case. Quite the opposite.

Though ROB is 27yo, which is a bit concerning.

ROB is apparently very intelligent and studious outside of AFL. Problem is, sometimes it's those who are more learned in some areas, that consider themselves to have answers that others don't - as a result of having it constantly reinforced how 'brilliant' they are.

B.O.B. was the same. Brilliant rapper and very intelligent person...but then also came to to believe in and be one of the driving forces of flat earth theory. Intelligence is no measure of your ability to objectively observe and dissect, IMO - as it's something guys like Peterson, ROB and B.O.B. all seem to lack. I dunno, maybe it's just the acronymic names that does it :tearsofjoy:

They present very simple arguments (often backed up bullshit, but nonetheless) that appeal to those who see the world as simple.

Unfortauntely, that's often the young.

I know how much more appealing a lot of conservative or RW s**t was when you are younger. Then you learn a bit about the world beyond your own suburb and other people.

I don't mean to sound condescending, or that young people are no good - that's not the case. Quite the opposite.

Though ROB is 27yo, which is a bit concerning.
O'Brien also had a 99 ATAR, so he doesn't have the excuse of ignorance.

The way I see it, ROB is more than welcome to share his experiences or photos with those he respects, and see them as a 'great' person - that is the epitome of free speech in an open forum.

However, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence. Just as he can share this in an open forum and espouse his views on his 'hero', so can I share my views about how I think he's a backwards ass 20th century moron, who only believes in the academia that confirms his own views of the world :)

I'm more than happy to have a debate with him (Peterson or O'Brien) or anyone else about why his views are ridiculous, but I don't want him not saying anything at all - as we can't learn anything that way.

Problem with Peterson is that he's more than happy to abolish social sciences, but there's absolute crickets when it comes to right leaning programming propagated through Youtube, Twitter, Facebook algorithms, and BS like Fox News and One America TV. Only one is considered cultlike...despite the evidence to the contrary where Trump put the country on the edge of civil war - just because of his insane propaganda. Yes he dislikes identity politics - which is the one thing he and I agree on -, but his disdain for cultural Marxism as he terms it, far outweighs his chagrin for those on the far right - hence why Conservatives use him as their mouthpiece time and time again.

Peterson is just another academic who has a God complex, and is generally heavily disliked and discredited by other more reputable academics. If Reilly chooses to shower praise on him, that's his prerogative...but honestly...he could probably s**t out a more tolerant person if he really tried :)
Great post.

The way I see it, ROB is more than welcome to share his experiences or photos with those he respects, and see them as a 'great' person - that is the epitome of free speech in an open forum.

However, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence. Just as he can share this in an open forum and espouse his views on his 'hero', so can I share my views about how I think he's a backwards ass 20th century moron, who only believes in the academia that confirms his own views of the world :)

I'm more than happy to have a debate with him (Peterson or O'Brien) or anyone else about why his views are ridiculous, but I don't want him not saying anything at all - as we can't learn anything that way.

Problem with Peterson is that he's more than happy to abolish social sciences, but there's absolute crickets when it comes to right leaning programming propagated through Youtube, Twitter, Facebook algorithms, and BS like Fox News and One America TV. Only one is considered cultlike...despite the evidence to the contrary where Trump put the country on the edge of civil war - just because of his insane propaganda. Yes he dislikes identity politics - which is the one thing he and I agree on -, but his disdain for cultural Marxism as he terms it, far outweighs his chagrin for those on the far right - hence why Conservatives use him as their mouthpiece time and time again.

Peterson is just another academic who has a God complex, and is generally heavily disliked and discredited by other more reputable academics. If Reilly chooses to shower praise on him, that's his prerogative...but honestly...he could probably s**t out a more tolerant person if he really tried :)
Tis a dark day, I find myself agreeing with a Geelong supporter. Well said.

If you are an active user of social media especially YouTube, Instagram and TikTok, it is almost impossible to avoid these right wing grifters. These platforms shove this kind of content right in the face of impressionable teenagers and young men.
???

I almost never see schitte like this on YouTube.

Or.. I know not to click on it when it does pop up.

there's absolute crickets when it comes to right leaning programming propagated through Youtube
He works for the Daily Wire now. A right wing outlet that is funded by a fossil fuels billionaire.

Guess what Peterson thinks of green energy, carbon taxes... ?

But isn’t that the whole point? If you put something up on social media - and you have a big following - people who disagree are going to criticise it?

Isn’t that just basic human interaction?
The problem is a bunch of hysterical numpties equating criticism of their views with being cancelled and that free speech means that you should be able to say whatever you want without ever being challenged or facing consequences for it.

But isn’t that the whole point? If you put something up on social media - and you have a big following - people who disagree are going to criticise it?

Isn’t that just basic human interaction?

Not these days.

People have their lives destroyed for a single post or utterance.

O'Brien shouldn't have apologised to anyone, he should have just kept quiet and gone about his business. If he feels strongly enough about it, don't be a wimp, stick up for yourself.

what i cant understand is why people think they shouldn't be held account for the things they think, say, and do, regardless of whether they're athletes, grifters or your average joe

it's not 'cancel culture' to criticise, to ask for clarity, to hold people to account.

and the irony is that these are the same people that will go on and on and on about personal responsibility -- just not when it affects them i guess.

Are you a mate of O'Brien's? If not why do you really care what he or anyone that you don't personally know, thinks?

In the grand scheme of things, he's a nobody, are you really that bored or cooked that you want to argue with people about it?

Would you sleep better if O'Brien gave you some clarity, that satisfies YOU, or would you be sad because you'd have to find someone else to rage about?

Are you a mate of O'Brien's? If not why do you really care what he or anyone that you don't personally know, thinks?

In the grand scheme of things, he's a nobody, are you really that bored or cooked that you want to argue with people about it?

Would you sleep better if O'Brien gave you some clarity, that satisfies YOU, or would you be sad because you'd have to find someone else to rage about?

I think this discussion has honestly moved beyond the initial discussion re: O'Brien and Peterson. Note the poster didn't mention O'Brien once.

The discussion now seems to be about elevated people (minor celebrities like footballers for example) putting their views out there and thinking they shouldn't be critiqued as it's a form of cancel culture - which I think is definitely a fair discussion to have given the time we live in and the subject matter that raised the discussion in the first place.

O'Brien was just the flashpoint, now this has become about society as a whole - on both sides of the conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a retired Canadian physiologist that went against political correctness due to a new law in Canada that now requires you to use the correct pronouns when addressing a trans person.

It pretty much went how you’d expect, he blew up left wingers minds and he’s now labelled as a right-wing extremist transphobe etc.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
that whole episode is actually a pretty good microcosm for petersons career as a public 'intellectual'. Canadian bar association writes to support the amendment, and says it would not infringe on freedom of speech, numerous law professors respond to petersons critique as a misinterpretation of the law etc but he continues to mouth off in an area he has NFI in

hes a dilettante

He’s a retired Canadian physiologist that went against political correctness due to a new law in Canada that now requires you to use the correct pronouns when addressing a trans person.

It pretty much went how you’d expect, he blew up left wingers minds and he’s now labelled as a right-wing extremist transphobe etc.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You are completely wrong: Are Jordan Peterson's Claims About Bill C-16 Correct?

This thread is really off topic.

It's become a jorpy thread. Paragraphs and paragraphs in single posts on jorpy bashing, fair enough.

Little in regard to ROB either, just claims of 'if you don't like criticism, then pledge your allegiance to destroy jorpy, otherwise expect the criticism' - ok, fair enough too.

But to the thread title, the article in the op doesn't provide evidence of ROB having a sook about people criticising him.

I've asked Bunk Moreland , the op, and another to link any evidence of salt from ROB - nothin yet.

So has ROB complained about criticism of him because he was attending / in a photo with the anti christ jorpy?

If not, may I suggest a change of thread title.

'ROB in photo with and attended jorpy convention, pile on both, go nuts' < this is what this thread is.

This thread is really off topic.

It's become a jorpy thread. Paragraphs and paragraphs in single posts on jorpy bashing, fair enough.

Little in regard to ROB either, just claims of 'if you don't like criticism, then pledge your allegiance to destroy jorpy, otherwise expect the criticism' - ok, fair enough too.

But to the thread title, the article in the op doesn't provide evidence of ROB having a sook about people criticising him.

I've asked Bunk Moreland , the op, and another to link any evidence of salt from ROB - nothin yet.

So has ROB complained about criticism of him because he was attending / in a photo with the anti christ jorpy?

If not, may I suggest a change of thread title.

'ROB in photo with and attended jorpy convention, pile on both, go nuts' < this is what this thread is.

He's doing it in a roundabout way, mentioning how AFL Footballers should be able to speak their mind more and how it's hard to have an opinion without being critiqued for it.

He's not saying this randomly, it's in response to criticism over his photo with Peterson - and the subsequent tacit support from current/former teammates like McHenry, Ellis-Yolman, Hinge etc.

In society it’s hard to have a point of view without getting shot down, especially with someone like that who doesn’t agree with the mainstream narrative a lot of the time,” O’Brien said.

“I think we’d like more opinions, especially from AFL players. AFL players can be a bit vanilla compared to American sports, for example.

“I think there can be a lot more interest that can be generated if players can be themselves and express their views.

“Obviously you don’t want to be expressing crazy views, but expressing views and having a bit more interest outside of footy.”

He mentions AFL players specifically - multiple times -, in response to criticism on a photo of his. That seems like a pretty clear cut example of wanting people not to critique him - or other AFL players for that matter - for fear they can never 'be themselves.'

He's doing it in a roundabout way, mentioning how AFL Footballers should be able to speak their mind more and how it's hard to have an opinion without being critiqued for it.

He's not saying this randomly, it's in response to criticism over his photo with Peterson - and the subsequent tacit support from current/former teammates like McHenry, Ellis-Yolman, Hinge etc.

In society it’s hard to have a point of view without getting shot down, especially with someone like that who doesn’t agree with the mainstream narrative a lot of the time,” O’Brien said.

“I think we’d like more opinions, especially from AFL players. AFL players can be a bit vanilla compared to American sports, for example.

“I think there can be a lot more interest that can be generated if players can be themselves and express their views.

“Obviously you don’t want to be expressing crazy views, but expressing views and having a bit more interest outside of footy.”

He mentions AFL players specifically - multiple times -, in response to criticism on a photo of his. That seems like a pretty clear cut example of wanting people not to critique him - or other AFL players for that matter - for fear they can never 'be themselves.'

O'Brien seems to be confused. He is allowed to have whatever opinion he wants, but he is also not free from criticism of that opinion. If he has sexist views I want him speaking about them as much as possible as it is a warning to any poor woman that was considering going on a date with him. Much better that way than him keeping those opinions to himself.

I'm going to assume 'He's' is ROB.

Can you link these responses? I'm not on social media apart from BF.

As to the bolded, that does not equate to 'people shouldn't criticise me coz ima footy player'.

Again, the op does not link any evidence of ROB claiming the thread title.

The thread is essentially a whinge fest about jorpy and 'you're in a photo with jorpy - expect criticism, coz jorpy is the anti christ'. When in reality no one has linked any evidence of ROB complaining about being criticised coz he's a footy player.

ROB is apparently very intelligent and studious outside of AFL. Problem is, sometimes it's those who are more learned in some areas, that consider themselves to have answers that others don't - as a result of having it constantly reinforced how 'brilliant' they are.

B.O.B. was the same. Brilliant rapper and very intelligent person...but then also came to to believe in and be one of the driving forces of flat earth theory. Intelligence is no measure of your ability to objectively observe and dissect, IMO - as it's something guys like Peterson, ROB and B.O.B. all seem to lack. I dunno, maybe it's just the acronymic names that does it :tearsofjoy:

It's weird innit, mate of mine did 3 semesters a year and smashed out a medical doctorate in world record time at Melbourne uni.
Legitimately the dumbest mate I have, spends three hours on YouTube then mashes every social media platform he has about whatever dumbarse conspiracy he's watched a video on, dude gets sucked into absolutely everything, lost a fortune on shitcoins and NTFs and god knows what else. Good thing he's surgeon I guess.

I'm going to assume 'He's' is ROB.

Can you link these responses? I'm not on social media apart from BF.

As to the bolded, that does not equate to 'people shouldn't criticise me coz ima footy player'.

Again, the op does not link any evidence of ROB claiming the thread title.

The thread is essentially a whinge fest about jorpy and 'you're in a photo with jorpy - expect criticism, coz jorpy is the anti christ'. When in reality no one has linked any evidence of ROB complaining about being criticised coz he's a footy player.

I get what you're saying, but I feel like you're getting into semantics though. The thread title is merely a humorous summarization for the tone of the article, and his response.

If we were going to use complete accuracy, the thread title would likely be something alone the lines of:

'AFL players like ROB feel they are unable to express themselves as much as they wish, in this perceived cancel culture - discuss.'

Happy to link the article so you can read yourself though (I'm also completely absent from the cesspool of social media as well - except for Instagram because I do photography, haha) :)

Screenshot_20230111-140149_Instagram.jpg

Mysogonist or simply old school? Im tipping he believes the woman should cook dinner evert night, do his washing as well. Dive deeper into what is said and he makes some relative points from yesteryear that people into todays equality society don't want you to believe.

As for what he has done, or does. IF I said I do hard drugs but make very valid points re financials, does that simply discredit what I suggest? of course not. That is up to you to decipher the bullshit from the relatives.

This is why you fail.

but I feel like you're getting into semantics though.
The thread title is merely a humorous summarization for the tone of the article, and his response.
You may feel that way, and pardon my dumb ignorance, if this is just another avenue to pile on x name failure and x name footballer was meant to be 'humorous' then the op should've used a more appropriate thread title
If we were going to use complete accuracy, the thread title would likely be something alone the lines of:

'AFL players like ROB feel they are unable to express themselves as much as they wish, in this perceived cancel culture - discuss.'
Agreed, here's my take, coz that's what it really is 'ROB in photo with and attended jorpy convention, pile on both, go nuts'

Happy to join in for the humor.
Happy to link the article so you can read yourself though (I'm also completely absent from the cesspool of social media as well - except for Instagram because I do photography, haha) :)
That article is the same as the op.

Again, 'semantics' maybe or maybe not, still there's no evidence that ROB is claiming he shouldn't be criticised 'coz I play footy'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back