Toast I’m calling it. Rance is the best defender I have seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scarlett and silly sosauge are s**t compared to rance

there is too much oppo salt over rance tho so he will never be recognised. we will leave it to the experts like leigh matthews to give proper opinion

I was at the game today with one of my best mates who is a freo supporter from Perth and he said today that Rance is 10 times better live in person than on tv and on tv he’s amazing.

You can tell the muppets who've never watched him live.

I think hes the best ever. I've got alot of respect for Scarlett but I think Alex has the same attributes but a slight edge in physicality and athleticism.
And height as well as humour! More smiles than Scarlett/Silvagni!!!

Last edited:

I find it funny how past great players are like some mythical creatures that can’t be surpassed or even compared to. For me Rance was the best defender I have seen. I will admit I am to young young to have seen sos or Bruce dual in there prime. But I have seen highlights and I’d argue that both would not be as good as Rance in the modern game. Rules have changed to make it super hard for defenders these days, also neither were as athletically gifted as Rance. and I’m sure Rance was the first defender to ever get tagged.

GOAT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok Rance lovers...what where some of Rance's best ever games?!? on Youtube?!? Links?!?! asking for a friend! 👍:think:👍

No links but here are all his stats per game

The swans games and Roos game in 2011 were when I thought he’d be a gun. Reckon his early years (like Edwards) are under rated cos his mistakes were glaring and we were s**t.

He’s definitely the best defender Richmond has ever had

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Out of Bourke, Clay, Keane, McGie, Morris Sheedy. Multi flag winners. Dick Clay: 4 flags Bourke 5 flags. Soz Rance good but not better than guys from this era. I saw them play. Skilled and tough football in those days. Grimes has actually gone past him.

Ok Rance lovers...what where some of Rance's best ever games?!? on Youtube?!? Links?!?! asking for a friend! 👍:think:👍
There was a game against the cats late 2016, shocking year for us I know and the cats came from behind to beat us by less than a kick but Rance was a colossus down back, was at the game with my brother (cats member) sitting with the Geelong crowd and even they were in awe of the man, this was slightly before he started receiving the universal hate from oppo fans. The best game I have seen a defender play live. He didn't even receive a Brownlow vote.
Edit... he did actually receive 2 votes on double checking.

Rance was my favourite player from this era. Agreed that he set up the role of the modern FB to be more of an aggressive launching pad through his intercept game and his ability to transform his game - particularly his kicking and decision making - made his improvement an achievement in and of itself.

A star of the game and an immortal at TigerLand.

Having seen all of those FB’s over the last 40 odd years, the ones that stand out are Doull, Dench, Silvagni, Scarlett, Leppa, Tilt Carter, St Francis, you have to throw Brian Lake in there, Chris Mew, Dustin Fletcher to name a few.

I do think Scarlett is the best of that bunch and just shaves Rance for longevity of being at the top of his game.

I remember St Francis and Dench as being similarly aggressive and offensive in their roles - some may forget this and not seen it but they were pioneers to the modern game.

Silvagni would give away a dozen free kicks a game in this era.

Rance has a soft spot for me because he led a defensive unit out of the wilderness - in my lifetime, apart from St Francis, we never had a decent full back let alone one who could inspire those around him in the backline and up the field.

Sir Alex delivered this in spades and was a heck of a nice bloke off the field.

Gonna miss ya mate, you were a legend!

Rance was my favourite player from this era. Agreed that he set up the role of the modern FB to be more of an aggressive launching pad through his intercept game and his ability to transform his game - particularly his kicking and decision making - made his improvement an achievement in and of itself.

A star of the game and an immortal at TigerLand.

Having seen all of those FB’s over the last 40 odd years, the ones that stand out are Doull, Dench, Silvagni, Scarlett, Leppa, Tilt Carter, St Francis, you have to throw Brian Lake in there, Chris Mew, Dustin Fletcher to name a few.

I do think Scarlett is the best of that bunch and just shaves Rance for longevity of being at the top of his game.

I remember St Francis and Dench as being similarly aggressive and offensive in their roles - some may forget this and not seen it but they were pioneers to the modern game.

Silvagni would give away a dozen free kicks a game in this era.

Rance has a soft spot for me because he led a defensive unit out of the wilderness - in my lifetime, apart from St Francis, we never had a decent full back let alone one who could inspire those around him in the backline and up the field.

Sir Alex delivered this in spades and was a heck of a nice bloke off the field.

Gonna miss ya mate, you were a legend!
Good post. You mention Doull & Silvagni but What about L. Jones? One of the greatest;)

Last edited:

Scotty Turner went OK. Was pretty damn good. Francis Bourke only went to Full-back when he became too slow to play HBF, which he went to when he became too slow for the wing.

I always thought Bruce Doull was the best defender I ever saw (and as a Richmond fan, I hate Carlton, but Doull was amazing). Rance is the closest I've seen to him in terms of quickness at intercepts, smothers, taps - just getting to a contest and having an impact on it, even if there is no stat recorded. Add to that Rance is a bit taller and a better pack/contested mark (although Doull always played on Royce Hart - honors probably even through their careers).

As a pure defender (ie ignoring rebounds, quarterback etc) I'd go:

Doull (the heroes from your childhood are always the best, even if they were the opposition)
Rance
Silvagni
Grimes (yeah, he's that good - still going and getting better)

so much salt over richmond winning 2 in 3 years and rance that sos is leading the poll

oppos voting with their hearts not their heads lol

we will listen to matthews and carey anyday over some salty gimps on a footy forum lol

If I'm starting a side from scratch - I pick Silvagni over Rance because he was far more versatile. He kicked over 200 goals including 10 in one game. Probably could have played anywhere.

However, if I am picking a side and I already have my KPF spots locked up (like say, Lynch and Riewoldt:cool:) I'd pick Rance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back