Universal Love I <3 the Media - snippets thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dedicating this thread to snippets of media articles about the Dockers gone wrong - lots of content to be had, feel free to contribute to the media clanger count.

czFwxuC.jpg

Iow4Lc7.png

I expect this thread will be full of Clancee and Danyle - those amazing identical twins the media are already struggling to tell apart despite their completely different ethnicities.

Aaaahh if only this thread was here many years ago, i've seen heaps over the journey but forgotten them all now. :(

Yeah there's been a lot over the years - my favourite are the commentator ones but linking videos is too hard basket for me, maybe seppo can put together a compilation

How about Luke Darcy spoiling the commentary for Morabito's goals saying "it was a great sheppard by Franklin" when it was actually Sandilands. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's one thing to get the wrong player, but the wrong team altogether...

I reckon it was a Freudian slip showing how much the commentary team were worshipping Hawthorn going into the game.

Yeah it's one thing to get the wrong player, but the wrong team altogether...

I reckon it was a Freudian slip showing how much the commentary team were worshipping Hawthorn going into the game.
I reckon you could put the whole intro to that game in here. It was all buddy, Cyril,and the impending game against Geelong, ina a big booming voice, but inconveniently they first had to play against [some team - checks the back of the guitar] oh yes, Fremantle...

Smirk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well here's the first Pearce V Pearce.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/list-overview-fremantle-20130112-2cma3.html

VERDICT: Had a fairly quiet trade period but landed the man it wanted in Pearce. The Dockers wanted more run through the middle and Pearce will provide this.

Apparently we landed the man we wanted during the off season...Clancee Pearce in the photo but Danyl Pearce in the story.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-01-28/umpires-pet

Umpire's pet. I reckon the Brownlow is a load of s**t basically, a glorified umpire's award for midfielders. But why isn't Chris Judd ever called an umpire's pet on the AFL website? He's a hundred times more protected than Fyfe.

Completely agree. An umpires job is to umpire, not watch the game to decide the best on ground. There should be a large Brownlow panel of experienced AFL players who do the voting.

To be honest, most people involved that deeply in the game are going to churn out similar votes. It's very much a sport of sycophants, circle-jerks, and unoriginality. This isn't Fremantle bias, but I do think Nat Fyfe will win it: tidy skills, seems to be everywhere, can kick a goal, has a bit of media attention, and isn't a dirty player at all. But no way is he the best player in the competition... I'd be wary throwing him in the top ten. It's just an indictment on the whole thing.

I'd hesitate to put Ryan Crowley in the top 10 at Freo too, but he has a well-deserved Doig around his neck.

The Brownlow is fine and the occasional unpredictability of the voting format keeps it interesting. It just shouldn't be taken too seriously in terms of judging the true MVP that year. Personally I put more stock in the coaches award.

Having said that I'd dearly love Fyfe to win one, just another little step in making our mark on this comp.

Aye, I think we all reckon he's a great little footballer. And if he wins it this year, I'd be happy. But at this rare, he's not deserved of it. There's a big tier above him.

Your making an assumption that the AFL players have half a brain. Which they don't. Look how the Derby Medal ends up turning out, or the Norm Smith.

Umps do a decent job.

That is mainly because the winner is voted on well before the game ends and has media member input.
If they can't even write unbiased articles , how can they be impartial on these awards?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-01-28/umpires-pet

Umpire's pet. I reckon the Brownlow is a load of s**t basically, a glorified umpire's award for midfielders. But why isn't Chris Judd ever called an umpire's pet on the AFL website? He's a hundred times more protected than Fyfe.

Nah, I disagree. You're getting confused with the All Australian selection which has now descended to high farce.

Apart from the contrived win of Christopher Judd recently and the non win of Dane Swan two years ago it usually has a worthy winner.
Nat Fyfe is now having a game deciding influence on matches and if your impact on a game affects the outcome , you are in medal winning company.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back