Opinion I approve Mr. Pyke

Remove this Banner Ad

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...erm-mcg-grand-final-deal-20180928-p506no.html

Season would have to be shorter & you have to reward every player that plays in each game with a meddalion!
1. Cetainly the higher ranked Grand Final deserves real home ground advantage
2. More tourists $ for the home state and less for Victoria.
3. Best of three might only be a 2 games GF
4. The MCG game has to be played first.
5. Home and away season should remain 22 games in length with no GF bye.

Brave Sir Robin

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Personally I don't really like the 3 game thing. A big part of the GF for me is the build up to the day knowing that it gets decided then and there. Game 1 wouldn't have that, game 2 would have a bit more excitement about it knowing that it could be decided, or it might not.

tedstriker

Draftee
Dec 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Not a fan but I'm getting increasingly annoyed by the Vic advantage come finals time. The long term MCG deal is parochial and doesn't serve the interests of the NATIONAL game long term. By all means sign a 5 to 10 year extension and review the deal periodically but to lock it away for such a long period shows complete arrogance and little regard for how the game might evolve. The AFL is already promoting the game in NZ and China, trying to push further into NSW and Qld and yet appears determined to remain Vic centric. What if fewer Melbourne teams exist in the future? What if a Tassie or NZ team joins the comp? A third WA or NSW team? Perhaps more realistically, what if Sydney and GWS play off in a GF? Adelaide and Port?Will we all still have to haul our butts to the MCG, put up with Vic commentators, Vic umpires, Vic home crowds? Rant over.

Gods_Son23

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd & Melb Vic
Regardless of the proposed structure of how it would work, it's great to hear this. Too often I feel we (the interstate clubs) bend over and just accept the injustices from the AFL. Fightthepower

fomoco04

1992, 1994, 2006, 2018
Jun 18, 2007
West
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Deportivo, Man U
I really think more emphasis should be given to interstate teams getting more of a go on the G throughout the year

I mean freo 2013 didn’t even get onto the G until the Grand final. That is just not acceptable.

That should be the starting point. Interstate teams should play at the MCG whenever they go to Melbourne and play an MCG tenant club.

100% of the time.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I really think more emphasis should be given to interstate teams getting more of a go on the G throughout the year

I mean freo 2013 didn’t even get onto the G until the Grand final. That is just not acceptable.
And they played a vic team first week of finals . Geelong in geelong . That game should have been at the G

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben88

Debutant
Jul 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
The big interstate names just need to start bringing heat on the discussion.

This is a start!

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Best of 3 GF series sounds like a bad idea. Would be too mentally and physically taxing for the players even with 2 less games.
Also the 1990 qualifying final replay involving us and 2010 GF replay were blowouts after draws, so it could put the lower ranked team at a huge disadvantage.
Suggested by someone else on here, but a higher ticket allocation at the GF for the higher placed teams' members/supporters is a good idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back