I believe in Billie Smedts

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi chaps,

Just watched a video of Smedts at Blues training. He's flying (like everyone in all clubs this time of year) but he looks to have shed a fair bit of size and has been training exclusively with the midfield.

I'd seen him tried forward and back with you guys but hadn't seen midfield in his resume.

Any thoughts on it? Did he play there ever for you blokes?

He started off his career as a forward and he looked pretty good in that position.
He is a tricky player because he stands 6ft'3, can jump and is extremely agile in being able to shuffle and twist and turn on a dime but like a lot of players here at Geelong, the coach didn't want to persevere with him forward and he was then playing more minutes up the ground where he got exposed due to his lack of core strength and kicking skills.

I have a feeling Brendon Bolton is going to play Billie forward where he belongs.

He started off his career as a forward and he looked pretty good in that position.
He is a tricky player because he stands 6ft'3, can jump and is extremely agile in being able to shuffle and twist and turn on a dime but like a lot of players here at Geelong, the coach didn't want to persevere with him forward and he was then playing more minutes up the ground where he got exposed due to his lack of core strength and kicking skills.

I have a feeling Brendon Bolton is going to play Billie forward where he belongs.

No matter where he plays him, I think Brendan Bolton's ability (or lack of it) to get something meaningful out of Billie at AFL level is going to give us a fair insight into the question of just how parlous our development is down at the club.

I would have thought Billie now has his best shot ever at regular senior footy and it is going to be fascinating to see whether he can grasp it with both hands and really develop into a player who truly belongs in the AFL.

Bolton strikes me as the sort of coach who is very intent on development (and with the list he's got, he needs to be). So I don't think there will be any stone left unturned to try and get the best out of someone like B. Smedts.

If he goes on to make a real go of senior footy, it adds some fuel to the argument that we're not doing well in the development stakes down at the Cattery.

If he continues on the same meandering trajectory he's followed till now (albeit some of his barriers thus far have been injury and role-related, I admit), it provides some support for the reasoning that some players not 'coming on' whilst at the GFC cannot be solely attributed to the perceived failings of the coaching staff involved.

Bolton strikes me as the sort of coach who is very intent on development (and with the list he's got, he needs to be). So I don't think there will be any stone left unturned to try and get the best out of someone like B. Smedts.

If he goes on to make a real go of senior footy, it adds some fuel to the argument that we're not doing well in the development stakes down at the Cattery.

If he continues on the same meandering trajectory he's followed till now (albeit some of his barriers thus far have been injury and role-related, I admit), it provides some support for the reasoning that some players not 'coming on' whilst at the GFC cannot be solely attributed to the perceived failings of the coaching staff involved.

Was about to mention that. He's been pretty unlucky in especially the last two seasons with injury.

Of course why he was dropped after the Carlton loss last year (where he was serviceable and PLENTY of others were worse) is another story.

Hi chaps,

Just watched a video of Smedts at Blues training. He's flying (like everyone in all clubs this time of year) but he looks to have shed a fair bit of size and has been training exclusively with the midfield.

I'd seen him tried forward and back with you guys but hadn't seen midfield in his resume.

If he's lost weight don't expect him to spend much time off the injury list. Has had lot's of impact injuries because he is built like a twig. He's one player who needs to bulk up a lot.

Hi chaps,

Let me be the bearer of bad news and you can go back to near the start of this thread to check for my comments early last year. Billie is not AFL standard. This will not change at a new club. This will not change as he ages. He just isn't good enough. He was a schoolboy champ and that will be his peak.
If he does happen to make your team (and for your sake I hope he doesn't), he will be found wanting.

Hope he tears it up. Have a soft spot for the boy. Reality is, if he is a mid, he'd be behind a few this year again. At Carlton there might be room to develop him there.

Carlton or Bolton isn't necessarily a holy ground for development. Not many of the GWS players they have picked up have come on. Now if Smedts went to the Bulldogs I'd be more confident he'd reach his potential.

Hope he tears it up. Have a soft spot for the boy. Reality is, if he is a mid, he'd be behind a few this year again. At Carlton there might be room to develop him there.

Considering Carlton just delisted Billie Smedts, I think that is unlikely.

1509423410510.jpg

Simon White, Blaine Boekhorst and Billie Smedts were all axed by the Blues, joining Rhys Palmer, Dylan Buckley, Kristian Jaksch, Ciaran Sheehan, Liam Sumner and Andrew Gallucci in being delisted this year.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...smedts-as-cull-continues-20171031-gzbr0p.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that Tuohy trade isn't looking too bad now.
Pick 15 for pick 22 and Tuohy

It was risky at the time but it has worked out pretty well for us in the end.

I would make a smartarse remark about smedts was another wells special but I won't.

On that note I'll see myself out

;)

Charlie Gardiner played 50 odd games for the Cats. :)

However, I would never draft from the light blue. :) We are not known for our footballers generally.
Rowers maybe a different story.

Last premiership was before World War 1......we're due!

I'd forgotten Gardiner....thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back