I believe in Billie Smedts

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murdoch up forward is a much more valid option, and there might be merit to it. But as a defender he's a walking disaster area. And the problem is he's almost certainly going to play in defence tomorrow.

On last week's form, Murdoch was putrid and Smedts was solid. I know who I'd prefer from that game.

With Ruggles in I'd be surprised if he's used in defense.

Also, Smedts was not solid against Carlton, he was poor, as was Murdoch.
At least Murdoch tried to make a difference in the final term, Smedts just got embarrassed by Simon White.

Yet he is as fast as the wind, kicks like Bernie Quinlan, tackles like Max Rooke and washes cars better than Shannon Byrnes. ;)

I heard he also broke Barry Hall's bench press record.

To be fair, neither player is well liked on this site and both seem to cop it at every opportunity. Both also have their small sections of defenders.
I liked Murdoch early on, but he hasn't developed into the player I thought he could have. I was never a fan of Smedts, thought it was a poor selection from draft day onward.

I just think Murdoch is a better option than Smedts for this season, and all seasons going forward.
Ideally though, both would be depth (well ideally, Billie would be at another club, but some might see that as harsh).

I heard he also broke Barry Hall's bench press record.

To be fair, neither player is well liked on this site and both seem to cop it at every opportunity. Both also have their small sections of defenders.
I liked Murdoch early on, but he hasn't developed into the player I thought he could have. I was never a fan of Smedts, thought it was a poor selection from draft day onward.

I just think Murdoch is a better option than Smedts for this season, and all seasons going forward.
Ideally though, both would be depth (well ideally, Billie would be at another club, but some might see that as harsh).
Fair enough. I just like to see players rewarded when they play well over others who play poorly. I'm agnostic to who they are.

As what? To blindly kick the ball forward? To not see an incoming tackle? To send a teammate into trouble because he panics under pressure? In that case I wholeheartedly agree.
I had high hopes for Murda but he seems to have just plateaued in his development.

And Billie had a, IMO, far better game last week.

On exposed form - can't see how Murda gets a gig over Billie at the moment.

Go Catters

Not really. If Smedts needs to be at another club, I'd have Murdoch in another league. Unless he's going to be moved forward, I don't see him adding anything of value.

Not really. If Smedts needs to be at another club, I'd have Murdoch in another league. Unless he's going to be moved forward, I don't see him adding anything of value.
Opposition teams rate Murdoch more highly than Billie; he has more guns, more ability to hurt. Whether he knows that enough to have the confidence to produce seems to be lacking.
Murdoch can kick a goty, and has a good turn of pace, and a good left foot kick at times.
Nevertheless, I don't mind Smedts either- he has been unlucky with injury, and from our pov, appears to have been played out of position.

But Murdoch was actually dropped this week also after one week in, and has been dropped twice this season.

Correct but my point is that he has seemingly been gifted blocks of games in previous seasons, where the 2 players mentioned are still in 1 out 1. I have no problem if Murdoch has been tearing it up up in the 2s, like GHS and Billie have been. But IMO he's been a contributer without setting the world on fire. I get that the 3 players are different and have different roles to play in the team, but from an outsider looking in, it seems that JM has been very fortunate to break into the senior side and gifted more chances than others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shattering. a year left on contract though, he will be given until then. Could very well retire due to being injury prone.

For all of the qualities I believe he lacks as a footballer, they pale in comparison to his lack of luck.
He's now got to re-set for the 2017 pre-season, which would have to be incredibly mentally draining.

If he makes at as an AFL footballer now, he'd have seriously earned it.
Wouldn't have happened if he got picked last week, which he should have.

He should not have got picked last week.

That's also a terrible way to look at any injury.
Maybe if he was selected to the AFL team he would have broken both his legs.
Maybe Murdoch would have done his knee in the VFL. Lucky we spared him that fate.
Disagree, he should have played instead of Murdoch and the chances are he wouldn't have broken his leg.

Disagree, he should have played instead of Murdoch and the chances are he wouldn't have broken his leg.

All we know from the weekend.
1. We won the game (therefore suggesting retrospective changes, when we got the desired result, makes no sense to me)
2. Smedts broke his leg playing VFL.

Speculation around anything else is pointless.
And if our MC start picking blokes in the AFL side just because they don't want to risk them getting injured in the VFL, they should all be fired.

That's s**t. He looks like he's really matured mentally in the last couple of years and is ready to make an impact. It'd be nice if he was any chance of getting a run at it though. At least he'll get another chance next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back