I can't remember the last time I thought we were a legitimately good side

Remove this Banner Ad

That's easy. Just give him a buzz next time you get a blocked toilet. Disappointingly he doesn't wear the helmet out to plumbing jobs though.
Seriously that helmet should be inside a glass case at the club. We should get a memorabilia room.
Would love to see a display of Magpie kit bags going back to the 70s.

Apart from the Premiers, who can say they've had long periods of brilliance?

Ours was 01-04

Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney own the last 10 years.

This is the AFL....it's not as easy to win a flag every second year or have multiples in a row.

Exactly.

Ask Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Fremantle, Brisbane, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, West Coast, hell even St Kilda fans.

There is only one thing that makes the season a success and 17 teams don't get it every year.

If we wanted that feeling every year, so we could go to school or work and act like the man/woman (like I pretty much did for all of the 80's and early 90's), then we could have just done what Norwood did and take the coward 'big fish in a small pond' route. But we've done what no other club in Australia has done. Yes it was ******* hard and yes, we've not had as sweet a ride. But I know where I'd rather be.

It is amazing what this place turns into with a meaningless one point loss in a ******* BLT game.

Seriously that helmet should be inside a glass case at the club. We should get a memorabilia room.
Would love to see a display of Magpie kit bags going back to the 70s.

If only there was a way to display Paul Northeast's kicking style, with a mannequin.

Exactly.

Ask Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Fremantle, Brisbane, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, West Coast, hell even St Kilda fans.

There is only one thing that makes the season a success and 17 teams don't get it every year.

If we wanted that feeling every year, so we could go to school or work and act like the man/woman (like I pretty much did for all of the 80's and early 90's), then we could have just done what Norwood did and take the coward 'big fish in a small pond' route. But we've done what no other club in Australia has done. Yes it was ******* hard and yes, we've not had as sweet a ride. But I know where I'd rather be.

It is amazing what this place turns into with a meaningless one point loss in a ******* BLT game.

Carlton: Former big fish in a small pond that couldn't translate it's success to AFL without paper bags and cardboard boxes
Essendon: Essendon were done then Sheedy gave them reason to believe. Then he went bananas. If he's never went to them they'd be Richmond esque.
Richmond: I am not going to compare Ports to this rabble.
Fremantle: Or this faux traditional club.
Brisbane: Club outside of AFL territory that can't win without concessions.
Gold Coast: Club outside of AFL territory that can't win with concessions.
North Melbourne: Can't without buying a team or fluking out with the GOAT falling to them.
West Coast: A lot more reliable than us across the journey.
hell even St Kilda fans: Just no. Nonetheless, they've falling from the top and look ready to be back there soon in the time it has taken us to get our s**t sorted.

No club's current form is at odds with it's traditional more than us, and we're pissed off about it.

Carlton: Former big fish in a small pond that couldn't translate it's success to AFL without paper bags and cardboard boxes
Essendon: Essendon were done then Sheedy gave them reason to believe. Then he went bananas. If he's never went to them they'd be Richmond esque.
Richmond: I am not going to compare Ports to this rabble.
Fremantle: Or this faux traditional club.
Brisbane: Club outside of AFL territory that can't win without concessions.
Gold Coast: Club outside of AFL territory that can't win with concessions.
North Melbourne: Can't without buying a team or fluking out with the GOAT falling to them.
West Coast: A lot more reliable than us across the journey.
hell even St Kilda fans: Just no. Nonetheless, they've falling from the top and look ready to be back there soon in the time it has taken us to get our s**t sorted.

No club's current form is at odds with it's traditional more than us, and we're pissed off about it.

Our traditional was beating up on Glenelg. You can have that back if you want.

Our traditional was beating up on Glenelg. You can have that back if you want.
So many people don't want to believe this might be even slightly true.

Jesus. I didn't think I was exactly making an outrageous statement with this thread.

Who gives a s**t what other clubs experience about their own club? Why is that being brought up?

Jesus. I didn't think I was exactly making an outrageous statement with this thread.

Who gives a s**t what other clubs experience about their own club? Why is that being brought up?

Because perspective.

You brought up periods of dominance where we could expect victories each week.

I want us to do well again like everyone does but it's not reasonable to expect to be a dominant team like the ones that have won recent premierships. The competition is too tight.

Because perspective.

I want us to do well again like everyone does but it's not reasonable to expect to be a dominant team like the ones that have won recent premierships. The competition is too tight.
Exactly .. especially when teams are winning it from 7th

Because perspective.
This thread is perspective.
I dunno that I did.

I'm talking about having a side where maybe if you're up at half time, you're feeling pretty good about winning. And at home you're feeling really good about that too. And your side is reasonably balanced without gaping holes that never get filled. And maybe when you lose its not 80% of the time because players have stopped running and creating options downfield.

Yeah go for premierships, sure, but I'm talking about just having a football team I can respect how they play at this point.

This thread is perspective.
I dunno that I did.

I'm talking about having a side where maybe if you're up at half time, you're feeling pretty good about winning. And at home you're feeling really good about that too. And your side is reasonably balanced without gaping holes that never get filled. And maybe when you lose its not 80% of the time because players have stopped running and creating options downfield.

Yeah go for premierships, sure, but I'm talking about just having a football team I can respect how they play at this point.

Ok, fair enough.

2014 was the last time then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's exactly it. It's about knowing we will compete and give it a fair shake by playing our best and playing to our strengths.

Once upon a time losses like the Bulldogs one or West Coast one or even Hawthorn games from last season were the standard. Sometimes there would be an aberration but most of the time when we would lose we know it wouldn't be for lack of effort and care, or from a underwhelming performance by a list capable of much more. Beaten by a better team.

Nowadays those kinds of losses are the rare ones. We often find ourselves beaten by worse teams, who always manage to be better than us on the day. There's no more confidence in this club on match day.

That's exactly it. It's about knowing we will compete and give it a fair shake by playing our best and playing to our strengths.

Once upon a time losses like the Bulldogs one or West Coast one or even Hawthorn games from last season were the standard. Sometimes there would be an aberration but most of the time when we would lose we know it wouldn't be for lack of effort and care, or from a underwhelming performance by a list capable of much more. Beaten by a better team.

Nowadays those kinds of losses are the rare ones. We often find ourselves beaten by worse teams, who always manage to be better than us on the day. There's no more confidence in this club on match day.

It's this list man. Nothing will change until the chronic underacheivers are gone. You know the ones.

I'd start with the class of 2007 and then anyone that had anything to do with '11 and '12.

I'm talking about having a side where maybe if you're up at half time, you're feeling pretty good about winning. And at home you're feeling really good about that too.

I think the home ground thing is important to this discussion. I reckon 2014 is the only time in recent history that we've had a really strong home ground advantage where you turn up and just expect to win and have that feel that the opposition know they are up against it before the ball is even bounced. Maybe 2007 had that feel a bit too. But every other year since the premiership, forget about it. There have even been years where I've actually felt we have some kind of mental issue with playing at home and the expectation that brings (I'm thinking 2008 and 2016) and have actually preferred to play away than home, which is utterly disturbing.

I felt we were close to becoming a very good side recently and bringing a strong winning culture back. The mistake we made was not pinching some success ahead of schedule. We counted the age of our list and thought we would rake it all in the next few years with relative ease.

We should have won the Geelong SF in 2013 after being 4 goals up at half-time, and we should have buried Hawthorn in the first quarter in 2014.

Our recent history is a mark of wasted opportunity, of having the best kept crop out talent but failing to harvest it in time. For whatever reason, the Richmond home game in 2015 was when things turned against us.

Before that I'd say 2001-2004 were good times regardless of the finals series of the first three years. I enjoyed us being a better team than the Crows and them resenting us over it. I felt we could always rely on Wanganeen playing well and doing mercurial things and having Tredrea dominate at CHF always made me believe we'd win most games at home.

The youngest in that side was probably the Cornes bros and Shaun Burgoyne, not bad. The weakest player perhaps Cochrane/Mahoney/Thurstans, not bad considering. It was a very complete, mature list that just shat the bed come finals.

Ruling in.. seriously read about this guy just an incredible career

8e3bfaaeaf38d107f4ce6272ebdc4d22.jpg

Buying Ryder dented the hunger of the group. We did exactly what the whole industry said we needed to do to be flag threats and then the club culture became one of expectation, not hunger and pride, along with unnecessary changes to game plan. Hinkley betrayed his 'youre never just one player away' mantra.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back