I dont care what they say, we're not wearing it (the white jumper) any more": Swann

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL these days doesnt give flying ____ for tradition.

They are in love with the idea of clash jumpers because it means that the die hard supporters will buy the second jumper at $100 a pop.

They hate the old tradition of away teams wearing the white shorts because how many supporters will go out and buy a pair of white shorts to go with their jumpers?

The AFL is all about money these days and not about tradition or history.

Good onya Swanny for taking a stand.

Great post :thumbsu:.

The AFL these days doesnt give flying ____ for tradition.

They are in love with the idea of clash jumpers because it means that the die hard supporters will buy the second jumper at $100 a pop.

They hate the old tradition of away teams wearing the white shorts because how many supporters will go out and buy a pair of white shorts to go with their jumpers?

The AFL is all about money these days and not about tradition or history.

Good onya Swanny for taking a stand.

I hope that's true - maybe then they'll move Collingwood to western Sydney! (*Note: this is a shameless plug for my blog which has got the Pie nutters going spare, so is good for a laugh)

In terms of away jumpers i think ours is one of the best if not the best. However, there is no reason why it should be needed any more than once or twice a year. I personally believe we only need it for Melbourne and Freo, not St Kilda. The AFL are a bit hypocritical for forcing teams to wear a clash jumper so often when they are promoting the history of the game for the 150 years and by having a heritage round every year. A sporting history of not needing clash jumpers for 148 out of the 150 years.

Personally I think we should revert to wearing those light blue M&M jumpers for away games against the Bombers, Melbourne and St.Kilda ..
There is a massive clash of jumpers against those teams I have found, and generally I do think an alternate strip is probably neccessary.
We can all bag the white strip (I rather liked it myself) but it doesn't look half as hideious as the garbage that Hawthorn and Adeladie have conjured up this season.

half as hideious as the garbage that Hawthorn and Adeladie have conjured up this season.[/quote]
Someone got paid to give those 2 the green light. Do you believe that?! What were the rejected options like?

In terms of away jumpers i think ours is one of the best if not the best. However, there is no reason why it should be needed any more than once or twice a year. I personally believe we only need it for Melbourne and Freo, not St Kilda. The AFL are a bit hypocritical for forcing teams to wear a clash jumper so often when they are promoting the history of the game for the 150 years and by having a heritage round every year. A sporting history of not needing clash jumpers for 148 out of the 150 years.

Freo have been in the competition for about 13 years and already have 3 different jumpers: their original purple with green, magenta and white; white with the purple anchor and purple with the white anchor, surely they cannot be too attached to any one particular colour scheme (in spite of their 'purple haze' cult-like chant) and they could simply chose one that doesn't clash with navy blue for when they play against us.

Freo have been in the competition for about 13 years and already have 3 different jumpers: their original purple with green, magenta and white; white with the purple anchor and purple with the white anchor, surely they cannot be too attached to any one particular colour scheme (in spite of their 'purple haze' cult-like chant) and they could simply chose one that doesn't clash with navy blue for when they play against us.

Or do us all a favour and disband.

But where else would underperformning high profile players from victorian clubs be able to command big bucks? Oh right, I see your point, disband!! ;)

Carlton used to wear a Burnt Sienna - deep Orange - cap with their outfit. This is an awesome colour it really is. This combination with our Blue logo would look OK! As nothing compares to our traditional colours. The thing about the orange is that It would catch your peripheral vision really well. The white is almost un-see-able from the corner or your eye - the orange would be!

Worth a thought.

Forgive me if I should be starting a new thread, but I thought it would be an ok bump. I've been having a very interesting chat in the 'Jumper Clash Fails' thread, which made me think of the god awful white strip we wear on occasion.

Personally, I DITEST OUR CLASH/2ND JUMPER.

Even though I'm not some staunch, old traditionalist - I could not concur more with Swann's comments back in 2008 when this thread was made.

"We are the Navy Blues, not the Insipid Whites"

"It's a famous strip, has been for 150 years. It's our branding, it's in our theme song."

We haven't had a different jumper since 1909 and literally our club name is the Blues; we are the Navy Blues. My belief is that if teams have joined the competition, the onus is on them not to clash with the incumbent clubs. I also think the same applies for clubs that want to change their jumpers. Go ahead and do as you please with your jumper (within reason), but if you're the ones creating a clash because you want to change, any clash is up to you to rectify with alternate strips.

Collingwood's jumper was fine against us for over 100 years, home or away - before changing to black with white stripes in 2001 and 'creating' a clash. Freo have also 'created' a clash with us by changing their jumper totally in 2011, as did Port Adelaide in 2010. It irks me no end that we have to not only wear a clash strip against them, but that we have to wear the 'insipid white' one.

But what do we do? I agree with the poster who mentioned in here (all those years ago) that he AFL is all about money these days and not about tradition or history and love the idea of the clash strips because it's another jumper that people can/will buy. That's why I do not buy into the argument about American sports being so much more realistic and fair with their alternate strips and mentality around it. That's great for them, but we don't have to do everything the states do and for mine, that's more about the bottom line ($$$) than it is about anything else anyway.

My first preference is clearly the above, but if we absolutely have to have an alternative/clash, why can't we find something better than the insipid white? You'll have to excuse my poor work knocking and trimming this up, but what would people think about a modernised version our very first jumper iteration that we wore for 16 years? I would probably cut the fake laces and lines and maybe smooth / improve the 'wave' texture up the top, but I would honestly much prefer to see us hark back and wear this if we absolutely have to and I think it looks decent.

1616902915700.png

I see it as a bit of a conjoining of the old jumper which speaks to the old man, traditionalist in me as well as coming to terms with the new age in which the AFL is hell bent on having teams wear alternatives. A kind of nice some old, some new coalescence.

I get it will probably be pretty divisive, but I personally prefer it 10000% and thought it would be an interesting talking point.

PS. I would love it if someone was talented enough to knock up a better/cleaner version but I did my best with PowerPoint and some colour fiddling.

Last edited:
I’ll take the white every day of the week ahead of the faux lace up.

I’d also take the grey and the m&m blue before that.

Would be the laughing stock of the comp.

Might have been a bit of a TL/DR, but I did say "cut the fake laces and lines and maybe smooth / improve the 'wave' texture up the top". My version is obviously a dodgy knock up, but the basis of that first jumper could work well and look good IMO and also links in with our history.

Expected it to be divisive, I simply hate the white.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the white guernsey. Not as good as the classic, but it’s better than that light blue s**t we wore around 2010.

Reading this thread is hilarious in hindsight. How adamant people were that we would not wear a clash jumper.

Who even gives a s**t now? It’s the same as the people who cry about umpires bouncing the ball or that the grand final can’t be played at night.

Within time it won’t even be noticed

Might have been a bit of a TL/DR, but I did say "cut the fake laces and lines and maybe smooth / improve the 'wave' texture up the top". My version is obviously a dodgy knock up, but the basis of that first jumper could work well and look good IMO and also links in with our history.

Expected it to be divisive, I simply hate the white.
I don’t mind the white. It’s not the good old navy blue, but at least it’s basically the same design with inverted colours.

Not to be too dismissive but I really, really dislike that blue and yellow idea you put forward. It almost looks like the shorts and top 1/4 of the Malaysian yellow kit added to our normal kit.

It’d be right up there with the Hawthorn Power Rangers uniform.

I don’t mind the white. It’s not the good old navy blue, but at least it’s basically the same design with inverted colours.

Not to be too dismissive but I really, really dislike that blue and yellow idea you put forward. It almost looks like the shorts and top 1/4 of the Malaysian yellow kit added to our normal kit.

It’d be right up there with the Hawthorn Power Rangers uniform.

Fair enough and no, be dismissive all you like. I am of what I call the 'insipid white' :moustache:

I guess I like it because it would tie in a bit of our history, visually I don't mind it and the fact that I have so much disdain for the incumbent. I always cringe when we run out in white and usually get a few text messages about it from mates who also think it's garbage.

I believe the story goes that the one I posted, our first jumper was chamois material at the top and had white dye through it, but as they were washed/worn the chamois mustard/yellow ended up being the colour norm.

Bring back the M&M light blue!

In all seriousness, the white isn't that bad. I'd actually go a step further and make it a complete inverse of the home strip and get rid of those blue lines on the side.

Don't disagree with the idea that we should push back against teams that have created a clash with us. You don't see Collingwood out there in anything but black and white stripes.

Ffs Collingwood won't even let Port wear black and white stripes against other teams! Now that's a team that cares about their history.

Couldn't disagree more. The current clash jumper looks elegant and classy and the white jumper with the navy CFC is the most 'Carlton' a clash jumper can be. I do like the idea to tie it more to our history with the chamois though, I just can't see how that'd work today and we'd end up looking like the Eagles probably.

Love them or hate them clash jumpers are objectively a good thing and are necessary. Sure white shorts might be enough for some of us, but think of people like my grandfather who has eyesight issues and cannot follow games when the teams look too similar. Or think of how many people watch games on their mobiles now in 2021 and how hard it is to follow a match where the teams don't contrast.

back off idiot - what has freo done to you? doubt you'll last long around here with that sort of smart arse attitude............

Forgive me if I should be starting a new thread, but I thought it would be an ok bump. I've been having a very interesting chat in the 'Jumper Clash Fails' thread, which made me think of the god awful white strip we wear on occasion.

Personally, I DITEST OUR CLASH/2ND JUMPER.

Even though I'm not some staunch, old traditionalist - I could not concur more with Swann's comments back in 2008 when this thread was made.

We haven't had a different jumper since 1909 and literally our club name is the Blues; we are the Navy Blues. My belief is that if teams have joined the competition, the onus is on them not to clash with the incumbent clubs. I also think the same applies for clubs that want to change their jumpers. Go ahead and do as you please with your jumper (within reason), but if you're the ones creating a clash because you want to change, any clash is up to you to rectify with alternate strips.

Collingwood's jumper was fine against us for over 100 years, home or away - before changing to black with white stripes in 2001 and 'creating' a clash. Freo have also 'created' a clash with us by changing their jumper totally in 2011, as did Port Adelaide in 2010. It irks me no end that we have to not only wear a clash strip against them, but that we have to wear the 'insipid white' one.

But what do we do? I agree with the poster who mentioned in here (all those years ago) that he AFL is all about money these days and not about tradition or history and love the idea of the clash strips because it's another jumper that people can/will buy. That's why I do not buy into the argument about American sports being so much more realistic and fair with their alternate strips and mentality around it. That's great for them, but we don't have to do everything the states do and for mine, that's more about the bottom line ($$$) than it is about anything else anyway.

My first preference is clearly the above, but if we absolutely have to have an alternative/clash, why can't we find something better than the insipid white? You'll have to excuse my poor work knocking and trimming this up, but what would people think about a modernised version our very first jumper iteration that we wore for 16 years? I would probably cut the fake laces and lines and maybe smooth / improve the 'wave' texture up the top, but I would honestly much prefer to see us hark back and wear this if we absolutely have to and I think it looks decent.

View attachment 1088095

I see it as a bit of a conjoining of the old jumper which speaks to the old man, traditionalist in me as well as coming to terms with the new age in which the AFL is hell bent on having teams wear alternatives. A kind of nice some old, some new coalescence.

I get it will probably be pretty divisive, but I personally prefer it 10000% and thought it would be an interesting talking point.

PS. I would love it if someone was talented enough to knock up a better/cleaner version but I did my best with PowerPoint and some colour fiddling.

The bolded paragraph is spot on. We've been the Navy Blues forever. If the AFL bring another club in, or let a club change there jumper, it should be up to them at address an clashes.

Could the club just stand firm and say "no we will not be wearing any other jumper, we will wear white shorts and socks but the jumper stays. Fine us all you want we will not be paying it. Get your new johny come lately jumper to change it for a clash game"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back