I dont care what they say, we're not wearing it (the white jumper) any more": Swann

Blue Bawls

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I have no problem with a clash jumper.

In an ideal world navy blue each week would be great, but it's not an ideal world.

what I have a problem with is players who can't get the basic skills of football right and clubs that do not do enough to address this problem......................... we are this club.

let's not worry about what jumper we are wearing and let's worry about winning games of football.

I think pride in the jumper and the club is missing at the moment and that the issue is significant, particularly with Greg Swann standing up to the AFL on the issue (don't get shaky on us now, Swanny). This is the attitude that needs to be instilled in the club and the players - we are the Navy Blues! Passion and pride goes a long way towards winning matches.

bibi01

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2003
Kop End
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I think pride in the jumper and the club is missing at the moment and that the issue is significant, particularly with Greg Swann standing up to the AFL on the issue (don't get shaky on us now, Swanny). This is the attitude that needs to be instilled in the club and the players - we are the Navy Blues! Passion and pride goes a long way towards winning matches.

we have played poor football wearing the traditional jumper and the clash jumper- pride has very little to do with the colour of your jumper.

we could be wearing orange jumpers, we are still playing for carlton, passion and pride comes from within the players.

this issue is inignificant, although a pretty good way in taking away to focus on how poor our players skills and intensity is.

serenityNow

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
You know why we have to wear this white strip..:mad:

Because clubs like Melbourne have continually darkened the blue in their guernsey since the late 80's to the point where its navy blue.

Clubs like Port and Freo are allowed to just join the comp and make a jumper anyway they want .............doesnt matter if it conflicts with half a dozen.

Think about it how many teams have changed the design the colors over the last few years.

All this goes on and the AFL approach us Essendon and Collingwood and demand we change it.................its crap.

Because clubs like Melbourne have continually darkened the blue in their guernsey since the late 80's to the point where its navy blue.

Clubs like Port and Freo are allowed to just join the comp and make a jumper anyway they want .............doesnt matter if it conflicts with half a dozen.

Think about it how many teams have changed the design the colors over the last few years.

All this goes on and the AFL approach us Essendon and Collingwood and demand we change it.................its crap.

absolutely spot on son!!!

couldnt agree more!!

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
We are the navy blues, f*** the rest!!!
Go get them "Pratt pack" and make sure you go through with it. We want our NAVY BLUE JUMPER back!!!
Now there is one more announcement I want to hear!!!!!!

We are the navy blues, f*** the rest!!!
Go get them "Pratt pack" and make sure you go through with it. We want our NAVY BLUE JUMPER back!!!

...and while you're at it, get us back some Princes Park home games!!! :thumbsu:

Master of Cooks

Team Captain
May 13, 2007
In the Jungle
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Mt Waverley
Well i'm sure carlton did that when they first joined. I cant see why we are better than them and they have to do everything to please us. Just because we are older doesn't mean we should have more power. If that was the case we'd have to change our jumpers anyway to avoid clashing with melbournes jumper.

Now that eveyone has a clash jumper anybody can do it without causing any problems.

They didn't just demand that we do it, they demanded that everyone does it, and now its only us and collingwood refusing to abide by the rules.

serenityNow

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
From this........

svMELBOURNE_wideweb__470x390,0.jpg

To this.............

1345327.jpg

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

johnsy14

Senior List
Oct 19, 2006
Hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers

Nah the blue in Melbourne's jumper in the early 80's was a royal blue but you'll find they were navy before that - they've just gone back to what it was previously.

Clash jumpers are a bunch of crap - has anyone ever thought St Kilda's jumper looks like ours but we wore one last week. No clubs jumpers look the same except perhaps on TV before colour - clash jumpers should be optional in all cases and up to clubs to decide what they are and when they going to wear them - as for the AFL telling clubs what their correct uniform is what a joke. They should look in there own yard first and stop the white maggots wearing clashing shorts and tops. Put umpires back in white would be a good move.

a1118374

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, AUFC,AFC wimbledon
i dont think it really matters, if we keep it to the minimum its ok.

bigger issues

- were s**t
- hand in back weak as piss rules committee

Rohan25

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Explain to me how us refusing to wear a clash jumper is any different to collingwood refusing?

:thumbsdown:

Collingwood don't refuse to wear a clash jumper. When the AFL finally asked certain teams to submit one, Collingwood were the first to do so. You'll see us wearing it in round 4.

walshy93

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
I hope he starts a religion. He is a God.

The white jumper was nice the first game we used it, but after that, I have hated it.

He made some good points about the 'Navy Blues' not 'Insipid Whites'. LOL @ that.

The AFL these days doesnt give flying ____ for tradition.

They are in love with the idea of clash jumpers because it means that the die hard supporters will buy the second jumper at $100 a pop.

They hate the old tradition of away teams wearing the white shorts because how many supporters will go out and buy a pair of white shorts to go with their jumpers?

The AFL is all about money these days and not about tradition or history.

Good onya Swanny for taking a stand.

Collingwood don't refuse to wear a clash jumper. When the AFL finally asked certain teams to submit one, Collingwood were the first to do so. You'll see us wearing it in round 4.
It's hardly a difference though, just the colours swapped.

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Absolutely classic piece of political deflection by Swann. Whenever results aren't going to plan and you have no idea how to right the ship, deflect attention by creating a storm over something that, in reality, is a trivial issue, but one that nevertheless has links to some form of 'honour', 'tradition', or some other indefinable notion that people aspire to.

In politics, its usually banging on about immigrants, or educational policies in schools, or something similar.

In football, you defy a minor (and commonsense) edict by the AFL in the name of the 'sanctity of the jumper'.

People, we are forgetting that we once sold our jumper to a confectionary company for money. We plaster advertising logos all over the thing. We named our home ground after a telecommunications company, then moved to a different stadium altogether. I'm sure playing in 2 or 3 times a year to avoid colour clashes (whether its for people at the game or on television is less relevant) won't matter in the scheme of things. And thats ignoring the good aspects of a clash strip; more jumper sales, more interest, more advertising space etc.

Rambo Stallone

All Australian
Suspended
Nov 26, 2006
in a ****ing house.
AFL Club
Carlton
Stop carry on like a bunch of babies. If the AFL decided that teams have to have a clash jumper then so be it. Now we are just carrying on like collingwood thinking that we are more important than the AFL.
Get off your high horse and take a look around. The game is changing whether we like it or not, and we have to change with it.
Whether you like the clash jumper or not, get over it, accept it and get behind the team and hopefully we'll get a win this weekend.
If nothing else you have to agree that the extra revenue created by the clash jumpers for the club is a good thing.

No because Interstate fans and members may only see the club play once or twice live and i never went for a team called the whites,it's the Navy Blues with the Carlton Symbol.How come we have away strip and Essendon doesn't.

I feel vindicated now having raised this issue in another thread on your board.

Carlton, even though I hate you unspeakably, should be in the filthy Navy Blue at all times.
Not in the Freo look-alike jarmies. It is just not right.

Swann has brought a little Collingwood stubbornness over with him....good to see.
Stick it up em Swanny.

KCola

Debutant
Apr 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I actually like the alternative strip - it could've been a lot worse (baby blues, anyone?). Might pick one up sometime this year.

Although I do agree that it is worn excessively. The AFL seem to have the deranged view that players and supporters need help in differentiating the two teams on the field. Anyone who isn't colour blind (and even then) will do fine.

Back