I dont think Carey is in the top 100 players to play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Rather than make sweeping assertions, maybe you should back up the claims. Suggesting NM was rubbish through the 90s is ridiculous. Pagan took them through from u19s into one of the great teams of the 90s. Rubbish team? Hardly.

Go back and see what I've written about stats that matter - goals per games in finals, goals per state of origin games - these are big games where the best shine. Kernahan was easily the equal of Carey - it's just not fashionable to remember him that way.

I don’t need to look at stats I watched them both with my own eyes and to me it wasn’t even close and you will find not many people at all who aren’t Carlton fans will agree.

Well I will say this . You obviously didn't see him play. Ask any person who saw him play and they all say exactly the same thing and I'm a Port supporter so it's sacrilege to say anyone is better than Russell Ebert but Barrie Robran was the best ever.

Oh so now two SA players are the best to play the game ever?? Lol ok

By the end of the week it will be top 5.

I guess it’s easier to look good In a second rate league so maybe that’s what confuses you.

Oh so now two SA players are the best to play the game ever?? Lol ok

By the end of the week it will be top 5.

I guess it’s easier to look good In a second rate league so maybe that’s what confuses you.

I didn't say that - just the best to play for Port. Here's a video of our substandard league losing to the Big V by 4 points in 1973. Malcolm Blight only good enough to make the bench for SA. Some numbskull called Jesaulenko kicked 10.

On the Carey vs Kernahan battle. I think young Kernahan <22 was a better player than young Carey <22 but after that it was Carey by a mile. I remember Kernahan playing school footy and he was unstoppable. Great Players both of them

Compared to Carey, Kernahan was one dimensional. Carey was a better field kick, was quicker, and could change up his game accordingly.

Compared to Carey, Kernahan was one dimensional. Carey was a better field kick, was quicker, and could change up his game accordingly.
I agree but that wasn't always the case. By the end of their careers Kernahan could barely kick 30 metres and Carey couldn't lift his arms over his head. A 20 year old Kernahan was a lot more mobile than he was later in his career. My point is that Kernahan played his best football when he was 21-24 yo while Carey played his best football 24-28 yo

I agree but that wasn't always the case. By the end of their careers Kernahan could barely kick 30 metres and Carey couldn't lift his arms over his head. A 20 year old Kernahan was a lot more mobile than he was later in his career. My point is that Kernahan played his best football when he was 21-24 yo while Carey played his best football 24-28 yo

THIS is the best ******* post in this thread, and one of the best posts I've ever seen on this forum. I'll explain why. The two things you just mentioned (Kernaghan struggling to kick 30 metres and Carey struggling to lift his arms above his head) are things that I recall from when I started watching AFL when I was like 11. I wondered if anyone else had noticed these things, or if I had imagined them. Now my suspicions have been confirmed. I remember Kernahan struggling to make the distance from set shots from about 45 metres out. I also remember Carey ALWAYS marking the ball on his chest, never overhead, and I always wondered if it was because of a shoulder injury (his shoulder was always taped up).

THIS is the best ******* post in this thread, and one of the best posts I've ever seen on this forum. I'll explain why. The two things you just mentioned (Kernaghan struggling to kick 30 metres and Carey struggling to lift his arms above his head) are things that I recall from when I started watching AFL when I was like 11. I wondered if anyone else had noticed these things, or if I had imagined them. Now my suspicions have been confirmed. I remember Kernahan struggling to make the distance from set shots from about 45 metres out. I also remember Carey ALWAYS marking the ball on his chest, never overhead, and I always wondered if it was because of a shoulder injury (his shoulder was always taped up).
The takeaway though is they were both great champions and Carey way ahead of Kernahan but both guys in the end were a shadow of their peak due to injuries.

Careys shoulders were gone by 1996.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The takeaway though is they were both great champions and Carey way ahead of Kernahan but both guys in the end were a shadow of their peak due to injuries.

Same story with Glen Jackovich. He was never quite the same player after the knee reco's.

It's scary to think that these players would've been even better than they were, had it not been for injuries.

You are not really allowed to shove defenders out of the contest with your body either, at least not in any sort of forceful way.
that's right but you can hold your ground and outmuscle your opponent which is what the duck did.

What??? Outside of the fact that he's won 2 flags in 08 and13. He kicked 7 goals in an elimination final in 07 to single handedly win the game against the crows which is recognised as one of the great finals games by an individual ever. In 2011 he basically got the hawks into a prelim. Kicked 4 in a loss to cats, then dominated the cats and also kicking 4 and nearly got them over the line against the pies in the prelim kicking a other 4 but was literally the only thing stopping the pies that day.
So basically you've watched him play 1 final which was the GF last year against the team you support and you want to rate him against 'elite company' which I guess you've seen nothing of.

That game against the crows doesn't count... he was playing on Kris Massie ffs.

Barrie Robran is the best I've seen then daylight then a bunch of guys that include Carey, Blight and Plugger

Never watched Robran and only watched Matthews at the end so can't comment.

that's right but you can hold your ground and outmuscle your opponent which is what the duck did.

Except when it came to Jakovich. He learned to get on his bike after some failed attempts at wrestling that cyborg.

There was a "top 5 AFL players ever" list that The Sunday Footy Show did a few years ago, where they compared individual top 5 lists made by each of the experts, and all of them except one had Carey ranked #1.

The opinion of this Greg Hobbs character is completely irrelevant compared to a group of legends of the game who all concur that Wayne Carey is the best player they have ever seen. Maybe Greg Hobbs just doesn't like Carey as a person for whatever reason and lets his emotions get in the way of his judgement.
Maybe he meant Stefan Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back