Prediction I give up, we're idiots. Thank you Nigel Smart, you're Just Right.

Where is Nigel Smart right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a busy day

Our Nigel, he's a hard worker!

I like how he knew we lost to Norf at 10:15 in the morning before the game

*maybe he's match fixing*

He had me going for a bit as well.

Wow, I thought it would be immediately obvious... what gave it away?

Who's system did he develop in then?

He was 4th banana at the blues. You can hardly say he developed anywhere else. He was 22 when he was traded here after 3 years at carlton

He was recruited immediately off the back of a finals performance in which he was amongst the best on ground for gods sake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jacobs I will grant you.
Not sold on O'Brien yet. I suspect you and I have differing opinions on Reilly O'Brien. If he is our number 1, we are in trouble.
Yes Tippett was alright, but only alright in the ruck.
Maric was probably harshly done by to some extent. But again was only alright. That is more on Craig than it is on Clarke.
Griffin was again only alright.

We may not have drafted any ruckmen with high draft picks. Nor have we developed any into top line ruckmen. He has been there for 10 years, how long would he like to develop one?

Did you ever consider they’re not that good. Non of these guys left and performed any better at other clubs. If the raw talent ain’t there it ain’t there end of story.

I knew they weren’t real. Every person that works near or follows the AFL knows the age of consent in Victoria.
Is it “if the feet touch the floor while on a seat” like in South Australia?
I read that some where once.

Is it “if the feet touch the floor while on a seat” like in South Australia?
I read that some where once.

The St Kilda school girl affair was a while ago, but I think it was a little more age based. From memory, 16 years old unless you’re in a position of authority, in which case it’s 18. Or under 16 as long as the age differential is less than 2 years or something like that. Or was it something about cricket.

Who's system did he develop in then?

He was 4th banana at the blues. You can hardly say he developed anywhere else. He was 22 when he was traded here after 3 years at carlton

Lets not pretend we plucked Sam Jacobs from obscurity and made him the player he ultimately became. Carlton who plucked him from relative obscurity in the 2007 rookie draft and developed him to the point that he was worth a 2nd and 4th round draft pick, with Jacobs effectively walking straight into our #1 ruck spot.

Jacobs was well regarded as one of the top up and coming ruckman in the competition when we traded for him. Most of his development had occurred, he just needed opportunity.

Whilst he may have been 3rd/4th in line at Carlton, it was because Carlton had 4 highly rated young ruckman on their list. Matt Kruezer was a recent #1 draft pick, whom if he'd remained injury free would likely have had an even better career than Jacobs. Warnock was a 206cm giant showing great promise, whilst Hampson was extremely athletic and also showing great promise.

The reason Jacobs was felt to be the #4 ruckman was largely because he lacked the mobility and x-factor of the others and Carlton were a long way off thrilled having to give him up.

Lets not pretend we plucked Sam Jacobs from obscurity and made him the player he ultimately became. Carlton who plucked him from relative obscurity in the 2007 rookie draft and developed him to the point that he was worth a 2nd and 4th round draft pick, with Jacobs effectively walking straight into our #1 ruck spot.

Jacobs was well regarded as one of the top up and coming ruckman in the competition when we traded for him. Most of his development had occurred, he just needed opportunity.

Whilst he may have been 3rd/4th in line at Carlton, it was because Carlton had 4 highly rated young ruckman on their list. Matt Kruezer was a recent #1 draft pick, whom if he'd remained injury free would likely have had an even better career than Jacobs. Warnock was a 206cm giant showing great promise, whilst Hampson was extremely athletic and also showing great promise.

The reason Jacobs was felt to be the #4 ruckman was largely because he lacked the mobility and x-factor of the others and Carlton were a long way off thrilled having to give him up.
Still doesn't mean we didn't develop him

He was recruited immediately off the back of a finals performance in which he was amongst the best on ground for gods sake.

Exactly, we recruited Jacobs because he was a young, local ruckman who not only was showing great promise, but had runs on the board too. Also because our experiments with developing ruckman from scratch, ie Maric, Meesen and Griffin and a couple of others from memory were largely failing.

Still doesn't mean we didn't develop him

Seriously? Of course we played some role in his development, but to suggest that most of his development didn't occur at Carlton is complete bullshit. He was a ready to go, plug and play ruckman when we got him. We developed certain aspects of his game not doubt, but the bulk of the development had already occurred.

ROB could be the biggest feather in Clarke's cap (outside the AFLW flag) if he keeps improving. A lowly pick 100% developed here

He'll be an interesting one to watch. Maric and Griffin probably got to a similar position under Clark, whereby they looked like developing into to line ruckman after 10-15 games, but then completely stalled. Albeit both probably both continued to improve and played some pretty good footy after being traded.

Realistically its hard to assign blame from the outside, given there's so many factors that go into developing a player. Does the fault lie with the individual? With their direct development coach? With the line coach? Is it the senior coach/system itself? Are there factors just simply beyond our control?

Personally I think our players reach a certain level and their focus moves from their individual game to their role in the team.

Their 'team skills' improve - knowledge of game plan & structures, ability to analyse game footage, contribute meaningfully in team meetings, set a fitness example on the track, lead and direct others on the field etc.

Their fitness also improves, knowledge of their body, recovery protocols etc

However... their individual ball handling, tackling, body work, skill execution, decision making either stagnates or even regresses. It receives scant attention.

ROB is never going to kick the ball like Darren Jarman but can he improve it by 10%? 20%?

We don't have what I would call 'craft coaches' - teaching players the nuances and subtleties of their position, rounding off their skills. The Blight bread-and-butter football nous things.

There needs to be a balance between the individual and the team - I think we lean too heavily towards the latter.

Take Darren Milburn as an example of the opposite though. I actually thought our defenders improved individually under him. Reilly and Jaensch started taking intercept marks. Talia got even better. But as a cohesive unit who complemented each other and functioned as one - they got worse over time. Milburn was too far the other way.

Laird reached a certain good level and stopped. Could he kick the ball with a bit more punch and precision and become truly elite? That next step doesn't occur.

Personally I think our players reach a certain level and their focus moves from their individual game to their role in the team.

Their 'team skills' improve - knowledge of game plan & structures, ability to analyse game footage, contribute meaningfully in team meetings, set a fitness example on the track, lead and direct others on the field etc.

Their fitness also improves, knowledge of their body, recovery protocols etc

However... their individual ball handling, tackling, body work, skill execution, decision making either stagnates or even regresses. It receives scant attention.

ROB is never going to kick the ball like Darren Jarman but can he improve it by 10%? 20%?

We don't have what I would call 'craft coaches' - teaching players the nuances and subtleties of their position, rounding off their skills. The Blight bread-and-butter football nous things.

There needs to be a balance between the individual and the team - I think we lean too heavily towards the latter.

Take Darren Milburn as an example of the opposite though. I actually thought our defenders improved individually under him. Reilly and Jaensch started taking intercept marks. Talia got even better. But as a cohesive unit who complemented each other and functioned as one - they got worse over time. Milburn was too far the other way.

Laird reached a certain good level and stopped. Could he kick the ball with a bit more punch and precision and become truly elite? That next step doesn't occur.

That next step not occuring is definately something we struggle with. when you have a coach (now ex coach in fairness) saying he wants a team full of David Mackay it just goes to show this exact mentality you're talking about.

Back