I Had No Idea That Was The Same Actor

Remove this Banner Ad

As a kid growing up, one of my favorite shows on TV was 'Chopper Squad' from the late 1970s. I thought it was really cool getting to fly around in a helicopter all day rescuing people, plus the scenery around Sydney was nice. To go off topic for a second, while Chopper Squad viewed now might appear dated and corny especially to younger viewers, this was actually a well written and acted show. There were a number of episodes that showed that things didn't always have a happy ending, and packed quite an emotional punch, showing the reactions of relatives/friends who had lost loved ones etc.

Anyway, while the three lucky guys got to rescue plenty of pretty damsels in distress throughout the show as well as meeting attractive women on the beaches of Sydney, best of all they often got to take a glamorous, stunningly attractive young female doctor named Georgia out on rescues with them, which made me even more envious.

Years later in 1994, I went to the cinema to watch Muriel's Wedding and while I loved the film, felt so sorry for Muriel's mother. Overweight, dowdy, down-trodden and unassertive, bullied and ridiculed by her adulterous and domineering husband (played by the late Bill Hunter) and walked all over by her lazy, young adult children, Mrs. Heslop cut a sad, lonely and despairing figure, who tragically committed suicide.

It wasn't until the credits rolled on Muriel's Wedding that I was struck dumb with surprise to discover that the same actress - Jeanie Drynan - played both the pretty doctor from Chopper Squad and the overweight mother from Muriel's Wedding. True 15 years had gone by and without doubt the younger Jeanie Drynan was made up to look stunning in Chopper Squad and the older Jeannie Drynan made to look dowdy in Muriel's Wedding, but never in a million years would I have guessed that this was the same actress.

You hear of people going missing and age progressed photos to show what they might look like decades later, but if Jeanie Drynan had vanished in 1979 and looked like Mrs. Heslop by 1994, no way would anybody ever guess this was the same person.

Jared Harris is a good mention. Played a lot of character parts over the last few decades, and his recognition level is just right to escape easy detection by mainstream viewers. A lot of English stage actors are phenomenal at this, think someone like Anton Lesser or David Suchet.

Last edited:

As a kid growing up, one of my favorite shows on TV was 'Chopper Squad' from the late 1970s. I thought it was really cool getting to fly around in a helicopter all day rescuing people, plus the scenery around Sydney was nice. To go off topic for a second, while Chopper Squad viewed now might appear dated and corny especially to younger viewers, this was actually a well written and acted show. There were a number of episodes that showed that things didn't always have a happy ending, and packed quite an emotional punch, showing the reactions of relatives/friends who had lost loved ones etc.

Anyway, while the three lucky guys got to rescue plenty of pretty damsels in distress throughout the show as well as meeting attractive women on the beaches of Sydney, best of all they often got to take a glamorous, stunningly attractive young female doctor named Georgia out on rescues with them, which made me even more envious.

Years later in 1994, I went to the cinema to watch Muriel's Wedding and while I loved the film, felt so sorry for Muriel's mother. Overweight, dowdy, down-trodden and unassertive, bullied and ridiculed by her adulterous and domineering husband (played by the late Bill Hunter) and walked all over by her lazy, young adult children, Mrs. Heslop cut a sad, lonely and despairing figure, who tragically committed suicide.

It wasn't until the credits rolled on Muriel's Wedding that I was struck dumb with surprise to discover that the same actress - Jeanie Drynan - played both the pretty doctor from Chopper Squad and the overweight mother from Muriel's Wedding. True 15 years had gone by and without doubt the younger Jeanie Drynan was made up to look stunning in Chopper Squad and the older Jeannie Drynan made to look dowdy in Muriel's Wedding, but never in a million years would I have guessed that this was the same actress.

You hear of people going missing and age progressed photos to show what they might look like decades later, but if Jeanie Drynan had vanished in 1979 and looked like Mrs. Heslop by 1994, no way would anybody ever guess this was the same person.

She was also Don's wife in Don's Party.

Ha ha, I didn't know that Josh Brolin was in The Goonies in 1985. It was his first movie. In fact, I didn't know any of his early work

f5c4e701e52957d8ba7c900effd61a96.jpg

Viggo has come a long way from playing an Amish guy

Good movie Witness - directed by an Aussie the wonderful Peter Weir. Here's one for you. Brent Jennings was in Witness as Harrison Ford's partner in the Police force. He was also in Another 48 hours and recently Moneyball - I never made the connection in Moneyball initially as he is much older.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Movie trivia

Sally Field played Tom Hanks love interest in Punchline in 1988

Sally Field played Tom Hanks mother in Forrest Gump in 1994

Only 6 years between the two roles...

Did not realise Johnny Depp was in Nightmare on Elm Street until seen a bit of it again recently.
Saw it at cinema back in 80's when just a teenager. I think he only made his name a decade later. I certainly did not know his name back then.

Movie trivia

ha. Ray Liotta and Rachel Griffiths didn't look convincing to me as Johnny Depp's parents in Blow, probably because Liotta is only 9 years older than him, and Griffiths is 5 years younger.

I didn't realize that the same actor Christopher McDonald who played villainous golf pro Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore in 1996 also played Thelma's loser husband Daryl in Thelma & Louise in 1991. Daryl would have to be one of the dumbest movie characters I've ever seen, for example when the cops want to tap his phone to try and trace Thelma and Louise if they call, Daryl looks blankly at them and asks 'How much will it cost?'. Then in the police station the young cowboy (played by Brad Pitt) passes him and asks him 'How's the wife?' before giving him a wink, having spent the previous night with Thelma. It takes Daryl several minutes to figure out what this means, before becoming angry and attempting to chase and attack the cowboy, who is long gone.

Movie trivia

It would be a bit weird to play relatives in one production, and love interest in another.

For example if two actors played a brother and sister on a TV show, it would be odd to see them cast as lovers in a movie a few years later.

For example if two actors played a brother and sister on a TV show, it would be odd to see them cast as lovers in a movie a few years later.

It's happened in cinema

Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen

2014 - Married in Godzilla

2015 - Played the Maximof twins in Avengers: Age of Ultron

It would be a bit weird to play relatives in one production, and love interest in another.

It's happened in cinema

Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen

2014 - Married in Godzilla

2015 - Played the Maximof twins in Avengers: Age of Ultron

Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort play brother and sister in Divergent and then romantically in The Fault in Our Stars. Same year too, 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back