I hate the Tigers, but.....

Remove this Banner Ad

WestCoastBudgie

Draftee
Feb 2, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m a 34 year old WA fella, and a forever West Coast supporter.
Being an Eagles supporter, I’ve actually been blessed with constant finals appearances and a flag every so often. I do appreciate how lucky I am as an Eagle. We have always had success, and therefore expect it more often than not. Whereas our mates from Freo would kill to have a little taste of what we’ve had..!
Anywho. My reason for this post is to acknowledge a team I’ve grown to hate. Purely because I know 4 or 5 fellas who came out of the wood work throughout the 2017 season. They piped up in 2017, went quiet in 2018, but fired up again last season.
The fellas I know went from being silent, to roudy, literally in the space of a few weeks back in 2017. Namely, from the final the Tigers mauled the Cats at the G in that final, to the GF win they had against the Crows.
There’s no easier way to say this, but the way Dimma, Cotchin and Dusty performed in 2017 was absolute tip of the cap. Until 2017, I’d always said Cotchin was a soft and cheap player. He lived for the one two’s, 20m side ways passes, etc. The type that never really went in hard, and always opted for the soft options. But my god. The fella turned into a beast in 2017, especially in the finals. He led his boys to the flag that year. Plain and simple.
On paper, this years Grandy has to be between the Tigers and Eagles. Looking at their pre-seasons, both clubs haven’t had any serious issues with injuries.
The Tigers are obviously kissed on the dick with their fixtures this season. Being a MCG side will do that. They could finish 4th, yet “play an away game” to Geelong at the G in a final...
And their away games are at Docklands. Cheers.
There’s a reason why Hawthorn had their dynasty. They were (and still are) a really well drilled team. However, their cause is helped by the fact they play 4-5 “away” games at the G (their home ground) throughout the season. And continue to get those favours in the finals...
I mean, imagine having to play a Grand Final on your home deck....every time.
At the same time, the budgies obviously have every second game in Perth. And looking at the games the boys play in Perth, I’d be disappointed if they lose more than 1 game at home for the year.
Both Richmond and West Coast should finish top 2. On paper...
Tim Kelly could win a Brownlow as an Eagle this season. Shuey, Yeo, Gaff and Sheed are good footballers, but they aren’t as damaging as Dangerfield. Nor are they as chummy with the umpires like he is.
The fact Kelly isn’t competing with Danger for votes this season, means he will get more love from the umps. He will end up polling more than he did last season. Which could be enough for a Brownlow, and what an effort that would be from a mature age recruit.
Continuing with the budgies, Willie Rioli will be an enormous miss. The stats prove that nearly every time he touches the pill, West Coast end up scoring a goal. Replacing someone that achieves that isn’t possible with West Coast’s list currently.
In fairness, nobody else playing the game has that effect on his side. The last player that did was Cyril for Hawthorn.
I expect Melbourne to be the big movers this season. Because they were so rubbish last season, they have a very cushy fixture this season. Plus, they’ve finally had a pre-season where everyone is fit.
I not only think the Dees should finish in the top 8, they could (and probably should), finish top 4. Big call, I know. But with a fully fit list and an easy fixture this season, I expect to see the Demons of 2018.
Geelong could be similar to last season, and the seasons before. A good side. But a fair way off a flag.
Look out for Hawthorn this season. Clarkson blooded some youth last year, and they actually looked quite capable late last season. That win in Perth against West Coast was proof of that.
I’m not sure where the Hawks will finish? I do think they’re still developing quite well, but they don’t have an experienced forward line. Their season will be defined on injuries. If they have luck, they could be 5th. If they do get injuries and their kids are exposed, they could be 12th.
Collingwood will be hungry this season. They’ve missed out the last 2 seasons. Being 5 goals up in a GF against the budgies in 2018 must still be in the back of the players minds. That’s a game they were 2 goals away from winning.
But these setbacks will make them determined to go deep again this season. They will play in a Prelim again.
They’ll obviously hope to be cleaner and more clinical than they were against the Giants a few months ago when the pressure is on in a final.
The 2 South Australian sides will be a waste of space this season. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hinkley is sacked at some stage this season. Both Port and Adelaide are treading water. Adelaide are in a quiet mini rebuild, and Port are trying to do bigger things than they’re capable of. Kochy is a virus for that football club. Despite all the good things he’s done financially over the years.
Brisbane are a team I’m really keen to watch. They’ll either back up from last season and go well again, or fall of the perch.
They’ve got a way harder fixture in 2020, compared to last season. More road games against good opposition, less home games against good opposition. I reckon they can still have the GABBA as their fortress and a venue where they’ll win 9 times out of 10. But it’ll be the away games that determines where they’ll finish.
As far as North, Carlton and the Bulldogs go. They will be hard to beat in Melbourne. But will be easy beats interstate.
This season is actually huge for Carlton. They simply need more wins than last season. They’ve rebuilt and recruited young a while ago, but they’re in a spot now where a lot of their boys have played 35-40+ games.
It’s now time for these fellas to lift, and become a side that is competitive every week. Regardless of who and where they play.
They have a massive and loyal fan base. But these fans patience has been tested for a long time now. Again, it’s time the Carlton players matured and took some responsibility and pride in their performances. They owe it to their fans.
The Sydney teams will be hit and miss this season. Literally. GWS will be a hit. Sydney will be a miss.
The Giants made the GF last season with a depleted list. It’s unbelievable to think about the full strength side they could have fielded at the G.
This side has threatened to be number 1 a few times over the years, but it’s been injuries that have held them back. Full strength and in form, these guys are unstoppable.
I reckon everyone outside of Western Sydney will be quietly hoping the Giants have to deal with more injuries.
Sydney however, forget about it. They’ll be a battler this season. Competitive, but a battler.
Horse Longmire knows what he’s doing though. I back him to rebuild this squad over the next 2 seasons.
To conclude, this season will be better than last season. The gap between the top sides and the lower sides (with the exception of the Suns), is more narrow than ever. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a side like West Coast lose to a St.Kilda or Carlton in Melbourne. Richmond could lose to Freo in Perth. I think the comp is closer than its ever been.
Will a bolt from the blue (like the Bulldogs a seasons ago) win a flag in 2020? It wouldn’t surprise me. We’ve seen teams finish bottom 8 one season, then win a flag the next, happen.
I mentioned it before, Melbourne are the big movers this season.
Put your money on them making the top 4. Mark my words....

squinting_at_screen.jpg

So you’re upset that Victorian teams can play away games at ‘the G?’
Haha out of all the bullshit I wrote, is that what you took out of it?
It’s one of those things. It’s nobodies fault. Melbourne sides will always play away games on their home deck. But that doesn’t mean it’s an advantage for those sides that play at the G.
On the contrary, my boys get a 99% home ground advantage every second week in Perth. It’s not our fault. It’s just the way it is.
I suppose my point is it’s nice advantage getting to play a grand final on your home deck, if you’re the Hawks, Pies, etc.
Compared to the rest of us

Just change the title to "my thoughts on some teams" or something before this turns into another Richmond thread mate.

Just change the title to "my thoughts on some teams" or something before this turns into another Richmond thread mate.
Wait until the other West coast window lickers see this thread it will be a massive melt like all the others.

Wait until the other West coast window lickers see this thread it will be a massive melt like all the others.
I bloody hope not. I'm struggling to withhold my Richmond defense protocols as it is.

Being an Eagles supporter, I’ve actually been blessed with constant finals appearances and a flag every so often. I do appreciate how lucky I am as an Eagle. We have always had success, and therefore expect it more often than not. Whereas our mates from Freo would kill to have a little taste of what we’ve had..!
Anywho. My reason for this post is to acknowledge a team I’ve grown to hate. Purely because I know 4 or 5 fellas who came out of the wood work throughout the 2017 season. They piped up in 2017, went quiet in 2018, but fired up again last season.
The fellas I know went from being silent, to roudy, literally in the space of a few weeks back in 2017. Namely, from the final the Tigers mauled the Cats at the G in that final, to the GF win they had against the Crows.
There’s no easier way to say this, but the way Dimma, Cotchin and Dusty performed in 2017 was absolute tip of the cap. Until 2017, I’d always said Cotchin was a soft and cheap player. He lived for the one two’s, 20m side ways passes, etc. The type that never really went in hard, and always opted for the soft options. But my god. The fella turned into a beast in 2017, especially in the finals. He led his boys to the flag that year. Plain and simple.
On paper, this years Grandy has to be between the Tigers and Eagles. Looking at their pre-seasons, both clubs haven’t had any serious issues with injuries.
The Tigers are obviously kissed on the dick with their fixtures this season. Being a MCG side will do that. They could finish 4th, yet “play an away game” to Geelong at the G in a final...
There’s a reason why Hawthorn had their dynasty. They were (and still are) a really well drilled team. However, their cause is helped by the fact they play 4-5 “away” games at the G (their home ground) throughout the season. And continue to get those favours in the finals...
At the same time, the budgies obviously have every second game in Perth. And looking at the games the boys play in Perth, I’d be disappointed if they lose more than 1 game at home for the year.
Tim Kelly could win a Brownlow as an Eagle this season. Shuey, Yeo, Gaff and Sheed are good footballers, but they aren’t as damaging as Dangerfield. Nor are they as chummy with the umpires like he is.
The fact Kelly isn’t competing with Danger for votes this season, means he will get more love from the umps. He will end up polling more than he did last season. Which could be enough for a Brownlow, and what an effort that would be from a mature age recruit.
Continuing with the budgies, Willie Rioli will be an enormous miss. The stats prove that nearly every time he touches the pill, West Coast end up scoring a goal. Replacing someone that achieves that isn’t possible with West Coast’s list currently.
In fairness, nobody else playing the game has that effect on his side. The last player that did was Cyril for Hawthorn.
I expect Melbourne to be the big movers this season. Because they were so rubbish last season, they have a very cushy fixture this season. Plus, they’ve finally had a pre-season where everyone is fit.
I not only think the Dees should finish in the top 8, they could (and probably should), finish top 4. Big call, I know. But with a fully fit list and an easy fixture this season, I expect to see the Demons of 2018.
Geelong could be similar to last season, and the seasons before. A good side. But a fair way off a flag.
Look out for Hawthorn this season. Clarkson blooded some youth last year, and they actually looked quite capable late last season. That win in Perth against West Coast was proof of that.
I’m not sure where the Hawks will finish? I do think they’re still developing quite well, but they don’t have an experienced forward line. Their season will be defined on injuries. If they have luck, they could be 5th. If they do get injuries and their kids are exposed, they could be 12th.
Collingwood will be hungry this season. They’ve missed out the last 2 seasons. Being 5 goals up in a GF against the budgies in 2018 must still be in the back of the players minds. That’s a game they were 2 goals away from winning.
But these setbacks will make them determined to go deep again this season. They will play in a Prelim again.
They’ll obviously hope to be cleaner and more clinical than they were against the Giants a few months ago when the pressure is on in a final.
The 2 South Australian sides will be a waste of space this season. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hinkley is sacked at some stage this season. Both Port and Adelaide are treading water. Adelaide are in a quiet mini rebuild, and Port are trying to do bigger things than they’re capable of. Kochy is a virus for that football club. Despite all the good things he’s done financially over the years.
Brisbane are a team I’m really keen to watch. They’ll either back up from last season and go well again, or fall of the perch.
They’ve got a way harder fixture in 2020, compared to last season. More road games against good opposition, less home games against good opposition. I reckon they can still have the GABBA as their fortress and a venue where they’ll win 9 times out of 10. But it’ll be the away games that determines where they’ll finish.
As far as North, Carlton and the Bulldogs go. They will be hard to beat in Melbourne. But will be easy beats interstate.
This season is actually huge for Carlton. They simply need more wins than last season. They’ve rebuilt and recruited young a while ago, but they’re in a spot now where a lot of their boys have played 35-40+ games.
It’s now time for these fellas to lift, and become a side that is competitive every week. Regardless of who and where they play.
They have a massive and loyal fan base. But these fans patience has been tested for a long time now. Again, it’s time the Carlton players matured and took some responsibility and pride in their performances. They owe it to their fans.
The Sydney teams will be hit and miss this season. Literally. GWS will be a hit. Sydney will be a miss.
The Giants made the GF last season with a depleted list. It’s unbelievable to think about the full strength side they could have fielded at the G.
This side has threatened to be number 1 a few times over the years, but it’s been injuries that have held them back. Full strength and in form, these guys are unstoppable.
I reckon everyone outside of Western Sydney will be quietly hoping the Giants have to deal with more injuries.
Sydney however, forget about it. They’ll be a battler this season. Competitive, but a battler.
Horse Longmire knows what he’s doing though. I back him to rebuild this squad over the next 2 seasons.
To conclude, this season will be better than last season. The gap between the top sides and the lower sides (with the exception of the Suns), is more narrow than ever. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a side like West Coast lose to a St.Kilda or Carlton in Melbourne. Richmond could lose to Freo in Perth. I think the comp is closer than its ever been.
Will a bolt from the blue (like the Bulldogs a seasons ago) win a flag in 2020? It wouldn’t surprise me. We’ve seen teams finish bottom 8 one season, then win a flag the next, happen.
Is this your season preview mixed with a bit of Eagles and Tigers are good but #VICBIAS thread?

Might not need a whole new thread for any of those topics thesw days they come up enough.

Your words??? Or the words of FreeTK?? How about Capriati's words??

Pretty sure most of the Budgie's rants are the exact same rants that we've been reading on BigFooty for the past 6 months.

Read the entire OP again-- does it really sound like a new poster? Or the same BS we've reading for months? IMO it definitely doesn't read like someone who hasn't been engaged in the BigFooty community previously. More likely just another West Coast Whinger alt account. It really feels like it's only a few people using a bunch of different usernames.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey OP that's a great post. It's actually very similar to how I feel, you see I’m a 34 year old WA fella, and a forever West Coast supporter.

Since this was posted at like 5am, seems someone got on the beers and had a D&M with a computer screen. This is just way too long. OP, you know a thread is meant to be for discussion right? What are we even meant to discuss now? Perhaps think it through next time.

Last edited:
AngryComplicatedGoldfinch-small.gif

Haha out of all the bullshit I wrote, is that what you took out of it?
It’s one of those things. It’s nobodies fault. Melbourne sides will always play away games on their home deck. But that doesn’t mean it’s an advantage for those sides that play at the G.
On the contrary, my boys get a 99% home ground advantage every second week in Perth. It’s not our fault. It’s just the way it is.
I suppose my point is it’s nice advantage getting to play a grand final on your home deck, if you’re the Hawks, Pies, etc.
Compared to the rest of us
Sounds like a sook you didn't go B2B if i ever heard one, wake up blubbering boy your team was back to form last year.

Your words??? Or the words of FreeTK?? How about Capriati's words??

Pretty sure most of the Budgie's rants are the exact same rants that we've been reading on BigFooty for the past 6 months.

Read the entire OP again-- does it really sound like a new poster? Or the same BS we've reading for months? IMO it definitely doesn't read like someone who hasn't been engaged in the BigFooty community previously. More likely just another West Coast Whinger alt account. It really feels like it's only a few people using a bunch of different usernames.
It's just another why didn't we win B2B sook, westcoke suppporters are such whingers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back