Opinion I have 5 days to fill, tell me your best North Story...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Nekminit I have 5 days up my sleeve.

Tell us your best North Story. A game. Someone you met. Something you did.

Mine was getting my Dad a ticket off someone who hated footy to the 99 Flag. My Mum got one off a * fan who had bought a ticket before the Preliminary Loss. We all had different seats at the game but to see their smiles afterwards out the front of the Hilton made up for the missed seats at all the other GFs that we had missed as a family when I was growing up. They had finally got to see us win a Flag.

1. The '77 game v Hawks at Arden st. with the Blight after the siren free kick and out on the full.
Had played school footy at Ivanhoe in the slop and left my clean change of clothes at home. Borrowed only a clean pair of socks and made way to Arden st. wet, muddy & cold. Met Dad at the ground where he spent the day in the warm dry social club and l was about the only person out the front sitting in the first half rain. Remember rightly not so wet in the second half. What a game.

2. 3/4 time '77 G.F. sitting in the Ponsford stand with 6,000,000 Collingwood supporters. Only the old-timers would remember the plastic rubbish bins filled with beer, ice, great western. They were going off. Flags was their's. 35 minutes later 🤣. Week later pure bliss.

It was my third birthday and I was obsessed with footy, so we went down to Arden street and Glenn Archer and Adam Simpson came out in just a towel after training and Archer held me to wish me a happy birthday.

I was also a guard of honour for one of Archers games (can’t remember which one oops)

Memory is bad lol can’t think of any more

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

‘97 qualifying final against the Cats. Geelong had finished 2nd and after an injury interrupted season (Duck popping his shoulder in round 1) we were 7th.

It was a wet night at the G which brought the skill level down for all bar Carey who put on a clinic finishing with 7 goals and the win.

I’ll never forget the rendition of our song in the toilets after the game as at least 30 blokes belted it out in unison, echoing off the walls.

‘97 qualifying final against the Cats. Geelong had finished 2nd and after an injury interrupted season (Duck popping his shoulder in round 1) we were 7th.

It was a wet night at the G which brought the skill level down for all bar Carey who put on a clinic finishing with 7 goals and the win.

I’ll never forget the rendition of our song in the toilets after the game as at least 30 blokes belted it out in unison, echoing off the walls.
The night I bought Lucky Beanie cos I left my jacket at home...freezing

When I was 15 I broke both wrists and one elbow in a freak marking accident playing footy at school and was plastered from finger tips to shoulders for 16 weeks.

One of my dad’s lifelong mates was on the North board at the time and, feeling sympathetic, he organised a gameday experience for me at Arden St.

I arrived to the rooms at halftime of the ressies match and he took me in to introduce me to all of the players, one of whom was Keith Greig, who was on the table getting a rub down at the time.

He said “Keith, this is young Toes I told you about.”

Keith chatted with me about what had happened for awhile then said “you’re with me today mate.”

So I spent the entire prematch with him plus halftime and post game (which we’d won) and I’ll never forget it.

When I was 15 I broke both wrists and one elbow in a freak marking accident playing footy at school and was plastered from finger tips to shoulders for 16 weeks.

One of my dad’s lifelong mates was on the North board at the time and, feeling sympathetic, he organised a gameday experience for me at Arden St.

I arrived to the rooms at halftime of the ressies match and he took me in to introduce me to all of the players, one of whom was Keith Greig, who was on the table getting a rub down at the time.

Keith chatted with me about what had happened for awhile then said “you’re with me today mate.”

So I spent the entire prematch with him plus halftime and post game (which we’d won) and I’ll never forget it.

Winner so far 'Toes 👍

Often wondered when that happens - how do you wipe your bum?

Often wondered when that happens - how do you wipe your bum?

You’d be surprised how strong and flexible you can be at the first mention of someone else having to do it for you. In hospital it was the nurses but once home there was no way it was going to be anyone but myself so I did my best pretzel impression and managed with the one arm which wasn’t as badly broken (the one without the shattered elbow). You’ve just triggered my PTSD from said event!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I met a girl very late one night at the Ivy nightclub and went home with her phone number in my pocket. Over the next few weeks I called I her to see if she wanted to meet again and was told no every time. It wasn't until the night after North beat Carlton in the 99 granny I thought it's such a great day why not try one last time...and finally I got a yes. Not because of my charm or looks, but because she had a minor car crash that day and was stuck in Sunshine and needed a lift.
I disappeared from the pub for an hour or so until I returned and introduce d her to my celebrating mates. We had an amazing, happy night that I'll never forget and I still wake up beside her now with a smile 20 plus years later.
It's been way too long ( the premiership drought not the marriage).

Go Roos!

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

You’d be surprised how strong and flexible you can be at the first mention of someone else having to do it for you. In hospital it was the nurses but once home there was no way it was going to be anyone but myself so I did my best pretzel impression and managed with the one arm which wasn’t as badly broken (the one without the shattered elbow). You’ve just triggered my PTSD from said event!
How did you..... ‘errrr. How can I put this delicately? Manage certain teenage urges?

Premierships aside that is my favourite game which I attended, and my favorite Carey game all-time.

Best
Memory
Ever!

I’ve got a couple of good ones.

1996 GF, my mate was working at the passout gate at the ‘G. At the time no scanning back in, no showing your match ticket etc. A simple in/out passout system (innocent times). Well he sneakily gave me a bunch of passouts which I then gave to random North fans who were after tickets, holding signs etc. Hope one of you is reading this!!!

1999 GF a mate had a spare ticket thru a contact at the Crows. He gave it go me to sell for a bit of extra cash. At thursday training b4 the GF I was at Arden st. Behind me was a father with his young teenage daughter who was crying cause she didn’t end up with a ticket. Listened in to their convo and thought I’d do the right thing and sold her the ticket at cost price. She was wrapped. Well at Arden st celebrations that night someone from behind approaches me a gives me a big hug, crying her eyes out. It was that same girl with her dad. My mate who gave me the ticket to sell wasn’t fussed that he didn’t make any dollars from it either, it was given to him.

Drinking in the cactus club with Brady Rawlings and Corey Jones top blokes helped em hook up some tail too. I knew the chicks!

But, did you hang onto the screamer?

Missed out on a ticket to the 1977 Grand Final, was not going to miss the replay, through a friend of a friend of a friend, we arranged for 3 tickets via a scalper, i was quite surprised when we went to pick them up and pay for them, the middle man was none other Daryl Schimmelbusch :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back