Opinion I have 5 days to fill, tell me your best North Story...

Bertie22

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is such a great thread. We all have many reasons to love our club. As another old fart who has been to North matches in many capacities since the age of 6, I have so many great memories. But I don't want to take up too much bandwidth sharing and boring you witless. I have been alive for all of our Premierships and I turned 21 in the year of our first! What a privilege. Many of you would realise that before 1973, following North was a great lesson in resilience. That said, one of the great joys of my adult life has been to meet North people who I looked up to in my childhood and adolescence. And the best thing is that I was not disappointed. Allen Aylett, David Dench, Barry Davis, John Dugdale, Barry Goodingham, Peter Chisnall, Wayne Schimmelbusch, BERTIE Johnson* and John Dugdale, take a bow. (* I will talk about Bertie another time.)

How good is North Melbourne? (Pee off Scomo, I claimed the expression long before you!)

After beating Collingwood in the GF replay my mate kept on bagging the Collingwodd supporters all the way to the Hilton car park . Then driving out of the car park he winds down the window and continues the stirring to supporters surrounding the car. A Collingwood supporter comes up to the car, leans in the window , it was then l thought we we dead, and says "well played" . l couldnt wait to get out of there fast enough....

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is such a great thread. We all have many reasons to love our club. As another old fart who has been to North matches in many capacities since the age of 6, I have so many great memories. But I don't want to take up too much bandwidth sharing and boring you witless. I have been alive for all of our Premierships and I turned 21 in the year of our first! What a privilege. Many of you would realise that before 1973, following North was a great lesson in resilience. That said, one of the great joys of my adult life has been to meet North people who I looked up to in my childhood and adolescence. And the best thing is that I was not disappointed. Allen Aylett, David Dench, Barry Davis, John Dugdale, Barry Goodingham, Peter Chisnall, Wayne Schimmelbusch, BERTIE Johnson* and John Dugdale, take a bow. (* I will talk about Bertie another time.)

How good is North Melbourne? (Pee off Scomo, I claimed the expression long before you!)
bertie was a good man.
In the mid 70s went to a match at Arden Street having had a big night the previous night which may have involve ls some ludes. So the day was not exactly clear. We are playing the Saints and giving them a touch up. I’m there with my Dad and my Bulldog supporting cousin. My old man is taunting the Saints fan a bit and one bloke takes offence. So here am I somewhat out of it and I have a Saints supporter with one leg on crutches trying to whack
My old man with one of the crutches while I’m trying to get him to stop and wondered whether the whole thing was real or not. A trip to the urinal
At the back of the outer on the Fogarty street side with a piece of spouting as the urinal reassured me of reality.
North. 70s. Outstanding.

Another one of my favourite memories was being the only girl in boomers clinics ages ago.

About 10 boys 1 girl being me, obviously I dominated hahaha but it was a very fun day.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
In 93 while at uni I thought I'd do a story on the unexpected North revival. Rang the club to ask for an interview with Uncle Denis. To my great surprise I got put straight through to him!
Did the interview, had a chat, and he asked me if I was going to the game in Perth a couple of weeks later.
I didn't have tickets so he said he'd get me some and get us in the rooms.
In the rooms at the WACa standing there and Carey is getting a rubdown right next to us and asks to read my Footy Record and signs it for me.
North wins thriller, tell Eagles supporter next me to shut his mouth or else after he declares when Carey takes one of his many marks that night, ' you're no good Carey, you can only get a kick when you're on your own'.
Back in rooms after game for song. Everyone going crazy. Room doors were open and Eagles fans were yelling through them, and we were more than happy to return serve.
Managed to get into rooms after 96 GF and asked Pagan to sign a North jumper. He asked me if I was really a North supporter and I reminded him of that 93 phone call.
Happy times!

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
so back in 2006, when me and my father were in LA, the morning we had to leave to go to the LAX to head home, oh wait I shouldn't tell that one.
its when me and my father we leaving the hotel to head to LAX (that is all i will say)

Family Day 1989. Dad's all over this Carey kid he's seen in the Under 19s and is telling All In Sunbury he's one to look out for because he's a Riverina Boy. Dad takes us kids up to Duck and opens with the Riverina connection. Duck has a chat to us and signs the autograph book, taking up the whole page. Same afternoon dad sees Frank Gumbleton in the distance. They grew up on the same street until they were about 11 but hadn't see him since. Frank recognises dad straight away, they chat old town and old days over a few cans, Frank takes us kids into the rooms for a tour bypassing the queues and getting us a few photos away from the $5 photographer.
Later that afternoon they draw a raffle and dad wins the trip to Sydney to see the game at the SCG. One of the other dad's behind us yells "you ******* win everything!" (Dad won a microwave at the school fete a few months before).
Later in the year mum and dad flew to Sydney and got to sit with Doc Aylett during the game. They kicked on after and had a few stories about Mike Wileesee in a piano bar..... Fast forward about 15 years later and a guy dad knew got him tickets to the Richmond Presidents dinner when they hosted North on a Friday night. He got reintroduced to Aylett who remembered dad and the Willeesee piano bar 🤣

WayneShimmiesTheBush

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When there was talk going around that North were thinking about trading (I think it was around 6 players to Brisbane) to get Nathan Buckley to the club, I was seething so much and was so against it, that I wrote a passionate hand written letter to the club to oppose any such trade. Also growing up in Darwin, I used to hear around the footy circles just how much of a figjam Nathan was which made me oppose the move even more.

The letter was basically telling the club that we can't get rid of all these players just so we can trade for one player. I was babbling on about loyalty and ripping the heart of the club, or selling our soul etc. I can't remember exactly what I wrote but it was along those lines.

Now the way I see it, is that the club was so touched by my passionate plea that they pulled out of any deal to trade in Buckley because of it. And because of their haste to make sure the deal was not agreed to, it is the reason I didn't get a response to the letter from the club. So in some way I feel I had a say in Nathan Buckley missing out on winning a premiership as a player, hence him choosing Collingwood as his second option. Well that is the story I am going with.

North Melbourne v Hawthorn
Round: 3 Venue: M.C.G. Date: Fri, 8-Apr-1994 8:08 PM Attendance: 36726

The Hawks had repeatedly touched us up over the years since the 1978 GF loss and this was a sweet win by us.

North Melbourne 25.23.173
Hawthorn 6.10.46

NM by 127

Carey 7 Goals.
McAdam 5 goal.

Schwass 28 possesions.

On the trip from the MCG to the city at a tram stop a bloke waiting for his tram sees all of the North gear, asks how much the Hawks won by, I answered "nah mate North won by 20". His response "wow North won by 20pts", "Nah mate" was my response, "we won by over 20 goals"!

How sweet it was and the start of a great era by the club.

I’ll share another story this time it’s embarrassing because I’m bored.

I think it was around 2008 and I was around 5-6 years old. We lost to Port Adelaide so I stormed out the back door and ran to the side of the house to sit and cry.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team

I think it was around 2008 and I was around 5-6 26 years old. We lost to Port Adelaide so I stormed out the back door MCG and ran to the side of the house to sit and cry sat in silence on the way home.

Edited for my experience.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
North Melbourne v Hawthorn
Round: 3 Venue: M.C.G. Date: Fri, 8-Apr-1994 8:08 PM Attendance: 36726

The Hawks had repeatedly touched us up over the years since the 1978 GF loss and this was a sweet win by us.

North Melbourne 25.23.173
Hawthorn 6.10.46

NM by 127

Carey 7 Goals.
McAdam 5 goal.

Schwass 28 possesions.

On the trip from the MCG to the city at a tram stop a bloke waiting for his tram sees all of the North gear, asks how much the Hawks won by, I answered "nah mate North won by 20". His response "wow North won by 20pts", "Nah mate" was my response, "we won by over 20 goals"!

How sweet it was and the start of a great era by the club.

First time I had seen us beat Hawthorn and didn't think it would ever happen. Ball was on tap to the Punt Road end at one stage.

barnrokn

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2017
Straightouttanthmelb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
When there was talk going around that North were thinking about trading (I think it was around 6 players to Brisbane) to get Nathan Buckley to the club, I was seething so much and was so against it, that I wrote a passionate hand written letter to the club to oppose any such trade. Also growing up in Darwin, I used to hear around the footy circles just how much of a figjam Nathan was which made me oppose the move even more.

The letter was basically telling the club that we can't get rid of all these players just so we can trade for one player. I was babbling on about loyalty and ripping the heart of the club, or selling our soul etc. I can't remember exactly what I wrote but it was along those lines.

Now the way I see it, is that the club was so touched by my passionate plea that they pulled out of any deal to trade in Buckley because of it. And because of their haste to make sure the deal was not agreed to, it is the reason I didn't get a response to the letter from the club. So in some way I feel I had a say in Nathan Buckley missing out on winning a premiership as a player, hence him choosing Collingwood as his second option. Well that is the story I am going with.
1613291187700.jpeg

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. Water boy’d for north in 2006, won a signed guernsey at the post match function

2. Went to Adelaide to meet Gaso he didn’t turn up

The best North Story I have for you Turkeys was somehow finding myself in a Threesome with this ripping looking lass and Wayne Carey after a night at the Crown. :stern look

North had beaten Essendon in 93 after Carey went nuts in the last quarter. Well after that game my 69 mates and I ended up back at Crown. I managed to pull this ripping looking chick but bloody Duck wanted a piece of the action. Anyways this chick was like it’s both of you or none of you, so we got a room at Crown and commenced to bump uglies. Well sort of. :stern look

Thankfully I did not specifically cross swords with the Duck because if we did I don’t think I’d have an Old Fella left. :stern look

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I grew up in Mulgrave and of course North played at VFL Park a lot which for me was very handy, just a bit of a walk and a dash across the SE Freeway and you were there. Who'd go the long way really?
My Ma was very close to her nephew Mick Nolan and they'd chat most Friday nights on the phone before the game. Mick agreed to drop by our Mulgrave house after the match one day. So I told ******* every kid in the block he was coming. Oh they were all lined up and in the near darkness he had a kick with them all. he was a mighty fine dude Mick and was so unassuming. I don't think he was overly happy with me.

He attended a fete with me one time and oh I'd have been under ten years old, he got me the biggest steak sandwich I'd ever seen, reckoned that would do me until dinner. 😲

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

I think it was around 2008 and I was around 5-6 years old. We lost to Port Adelaide so I stormed out the back door and ran to the side of the house to sit and cry.

Mate I did it every step from the top level of the Olympic Stand to the bottom after the 1978 GF.

Back