Opinion I have 5 days to fill, tell me your best North Story...

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Water boy’d for north in 2006, won a signed guernsey at the post match function

2. Went to Adelaide to meet Gaso he didn’t turn up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
3. I was waiting outside because it was scary inside

I have two, both memories that will last a life time

First was 1997, I was 14 at the time, my family was very good family friends with Judy who would cook the boys dinner and wash the jumpers for them, would even take some boys to live with her in the early 90's. She had organised for me to have my photo taken with the 96 gold cup. I turned up to the rooms and was let in, the cup was hidden in a garbage bag as Pagan refused to let anyone in the club look at it and reflect on past glory so she had got it snuck into the rooms and the boys were all on hte track, this was about Round 4-5 during the season. I was amaazed by the cup and just awe struck that I was going to have my photo with it. Suddenly a loud voice yelled out "Look out here comes Denis!" It was Wayne Carey, they had organised for him to have the photo taken with me, I was beside myself, couldn't believe it. Took the photo back 2 weeks later to training for Wayne to sign, he remembered my name and said he was glad the photo came out so well.

The next was in 2019, I booked a ticket to go to the 150 anniversary dinner, no one would go with me due to the cost, turns out my cousin was going and he is a coterie member, I asked to sit on his table when I booked but heard nothing. The day of the function he sent me a text saying I hear you are on my table, meet me at this address at 6pm. I thought ok, headed into the city to this apartment where I found Hamish McIntosh standing out the front, a guy comes out and takes us into his apartment, he has Wayne Careys locker from arden street and a fridge full of his own beer. I am already beside myself. Suddenly someone taps me on the shoulder "G'day mate we have met before haven't we?" ... no Andrew Swallow we haven't. So anyway we all get on the tram together down to the function, I am on a table with Swallow, Wells, Firrito and McIntosh. Directly behind me is Wayne Carey. I showed him the photo from 97, had a copy on my phone, he looks at it and says "* how long ago was that?" I said 97, he says don't show anyone else how much I've aged. Plenty of more stories from the night but I ended up at Crown with Archer, Jones, Petrie and Fairly in a a night I will never ever forget.

Last edited:
I have two, both memories that will last a life time

First was 1997, I was 14 at the time, my family was very good family friends with Judy who would cook the boys dinner and wash the jumpers for them, would even take some boys to live with her in the early 90's. She had organised for me to have my photo taken with the 96 gold cup. I turned up to the rooms and was let in, the cup was hidden in a garbage bag as Pagan refused to let anyone in the club look at it and reflect on past glory so she had got it snuck into hte rooms and the boys were all on hte track, this was about Round 4-5 during the season. I was amaazed by the cup and just awe struck that I was going to have my photo with it. Suddenly a loud voice yelled out "Look out here comes Denis!" It was Wayne Carey, they had organised for him to have the photo taken with me, I was beside myself, couldn't believe it. Took the photo back 2 weeks later to training for Wayne to sign, he remembered my name and said he was glad the photo came out so well.

The next was in 2019, I booked a ticket to go to the 150 anniversary dinner, no one would go with me due to the cost, turns out my cousin was going and he is a coterie member, I asked to sit on his table when I booked but heard nothing. The day of the function he sent me a text saying I hear you are on my table, meet me at this address at 6pm. I thought ok, headed into the city to this apartment where I found Hamish McIntosh standing out the front, a guy comes out and takes us into his apartment, he has Wayne Careys locker from arden street and a fridge full of his own beer. I am already beside myself. Suddenly someone taps me on the shoulder "G'day mate we have met before haven't we?" ... no Andrew Swallow we haven't. So anyway we all get on the tram together down to the function, I am on a table with Swallow, Wells, Firrito and McIntosh. Directly behind me is Wayne Carey. I showed him the photo from 97, had a copy on my phone, he looks at it and says "fu** how long ago was that?" I said 97, he says don't show anyone else how much I've aged. Plenty of more stories from the night but I ended up at Crown with Archer, Jones, Petrie and Fairly in a a night I will never ever forget.
Awesome stories

Of all my memories of North games and great wins especially in the 90s, nothing beats the feeling I had watching on in the Olympic Stand pocket as Stevo slotted a sweet left foot goal from 50m to start the last quarter of the 96 GF.
Shannon Grants first goal of the second half in 99

my first year of getting a membership and i get a call at random. I've been selected to hand out the jumpers to players on jumper day. Ended up handing out the jumpers to Troy Makepiece Hamish Mcintosh amongst a couple others also. Remember I was so nervous. Also remember getting jumpers signed and got David Hale then accidentally went to him again later and asked him to sign it, but he noticed he already had.

Shannon Grants first goal of the second half in 99
Flossy's mark and goal to end the 96 season. Was sitting in that pocket and the whole stand felt like it was going to fall to rubble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back