Home & Garden I have admitted defeat.

Remove this Banner Ad

I finally snapped after one too many requests to get the whipper snipper out and said "just hire someone to do it".

Within two hours an older bloke was at the gate with his clip board and he and my wife had colluded to poison vines... which involves me moving the chickens in their coop to another house. I should have just gotten out the whipper snipper.

Does anyone do much gardening any more or are we too busy.

I make a point of getting out into the garden regularly. I love it.

I have lots of native plants and in fact dug up the lawn in the front garden to plant more native plants. I have a reasonable crop of vegies.

My garden is my sanctuary. Nothing better than laying on my hammock after working for a few hours in the garden and drinking a cold beer.

Always have my little boy out with me too. :thumbsu:

$40 every fortnight for a 756m block. Takes him about 30-40 minutes. Uses a smallish ride on and whipper snipper and he rips through it in no time. Took me about 3 hours because of an old back injury.

Only gardening I do is a bit of spraying weeds, trimming shrubs etc.

Have a cleaner too. $40 a week, vacuums house and cleans bathroom and kitchen. This used to take me about 2-3 hours a week.

Doubt I would do it if I was an employee because I would probably make the time to do it but because I work for myself, I just don't get the time to do this stuff.

$40 every fortnight for a 756m block. Takes him about 30-40 minutes. Uses a smallish ride on and whipper snipper and he rips through it in no time. Took me about 3 hours because of an old back injury.

Only gardening I do is a bit of spraying weeds, trimming shrubs etc.

Have a cleaner too. $40 a week, vacuums house and cleans bathroom and kitchen. This used to take me about 2-3 hours a week.

Doubt I would do it if I was an employee because I would probably make the time to do it but because I work for myself, I just don't get the time to do this stuff.

We get a cleaner in once a fortnight. They charge $70 but the place is sparkling when they have finished. The bathroom, laundry, toilet and kitchen mainly plus the floors all get vacuumed and mopped.

With both of us working full time, it makes a difference. Wife is a teacher so she always has marking and I am GM of a company so often have extra work to do at home. Having a cleaner allows me to have a bit of down time. The difference with gardening is I enjoy it.

I like working in the garden. I find it relaxing.

I imagine if I was married with kids and a partner who worked fulltime, I'd probably get someone to do the housework. But I think I would always like to do the gardening myself. I have an office job and I find getting out in the sunshine and doing a bit of manual labour for a couple of hours each weekend does me a power of good.

Buy a malamute. Nothing lives in my backyard now.

Classic:D

Love being in the garden. I landscape my garden as well. Finished retaining and paving late last year. Currently planning and planting my tropical oasis.

I don't wait until the end of the day before indulging in a few cleansing ales, I just wait till about midday.

I've got a guy moving into my house for two weeks. In exchange for food and accommodation he'll do four hours of work a day.

I'm too busy and getting started is a big job. I'm thinking of getting chickens to propagate in preparation for a veggie patch.

I'm so excited for the arrival of my own personal woofer. I'll get him to paint the rest of the inside of my house too.

We get a cleaner in once a fortnight. They charge $70 but the place is sparkling when they have finished. The bathroom, laundry, toilet and kitchen mainly plus the floors all get vacuumed and mopped.

With both of us working full time, it makes a difference. Wife is a teacher so she always has marking and I am GM of a company so often have extra work to do at home. Having a cleaner allows me to have a bit of down time. The difference with gardening is I enjoy it.

Yeah we get a cleaner in once a fortnight for $40. Mops, vacuums, bathroom, toilets, done.

I try to garden but we get the cleaners husband to mow the lawn once every 3-4 weeks. We do any weeding, planting, ill do the edges etc. We have a few fruit trees which is great and we planted a lemon & a lime tree last year as well which is something to look forward to in the future.

I quite enjoy gardening but my issue is getting the motivation to do it after work, but I leave at 7:15am every day and dont get home until 6:30-7pm so normally I just want to relax.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What he said. Last thing I bought for my husky was a kiddie pool so he can stay cool during heatwaves. Filled it up with water, left for half an hour, came back and he actually chewed the whole thing up.
Sounds about right. Although I broke my dogs pool when I jumped in it and it was on a slope (platic pool, 80kgs and an angle = hole).

She's pretty good with not chewing, she's more of an eater. The main damage comes from her and our Standard Poodle going mental and wrestling on everything. But she's taken a fancy to the elm leaves at the moment, which saves having to trim it.

I don't mind gardening. But I do hate mowing the lawn :( Fortunately half of my lawn is plastic and is just no good at growing :D

As small gardening business owner...I am quite ok if people feel the need to pay for their gardening to be done :D

I am finding more and more people willing to, effectively, pay to reclaim their time. Paying for a gardener buys them time to spend on something they are more interested in.

Another trend is that many of my clients don't mind gardening but find they can pay me $40 an hour roughly (depending on the type of work) and earn $60 or more themselves. They see it as more beneficial to earn the extra dollars and not have to do the work.

I am ok with that :)

As small gardening business owner...I am quite ok if people feel the need to pay for their gardening to be done :D

I am finding more and more people willing to, effectively, pay to reclaim their time. Paying for a gardener buys them time to spend on something they are more interested in.

Another trend is that many of my clients don't mind gardening but find they can pay me $40 an hour roughly (depending on the type of work) and earn $60 or more themselves. They see it as more beneficial to earn the extra dollars and not have to do the work.

I am ok with that :)

This is called capitalism

I've got a guy moving into my house for two weeks. In exchange for food and accommodation he'll do four hours of work a day.

I'm too busy and getting started is a big job. I'm thinking of getting chickens to propagate in preparation for a veggie patch.

I'm so excited for the arrival of my own personal woofer. I'll get him to paint the rest of the inside of my house too.

Vale that guy. Fritzl'd in Melbourne.

I make a point of getting out into the garden regularly. I love it.

I have lots of native plants and in fact dug up the lawn in the front garden to plant more native plants. I have a reasonable crop of vegies.

My garden is my sanctuary. Nothing better than laying on my hammock after working for a few hours in the garden and drinking a cold beer.

Always have my little boy out with me too. :thumbsu:

That's the way to go. :thumbsu:

I have always got rid of the grass & planted natives & mulched, always had a herb & veggie patch as well, so easy to maintain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back