• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cobaki

Draftee
Feb 10, 2017
Sandringham
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My footy story is coming from the early 50's with my parents having 8 kids living at Churchill Ave Braybrook.
I loved every part of footy but sadly my family could not afford for the kids to go to Western Oval every home game. Becoming a staunch young ''bulldog'' supporter, I thought there must be another way to get in at Western Oval. The kids were street smart at 7 years old and found a hole in the fence which became our new door to the game.
That only lasted for a short time, as I talked my way into getting a Lolly Boy job (I wonder if there are many of us still around ).I cannot be sure of how much I made or ate myself, but did not have to pay entry and made a few bob whilst watching the game.

Going to The MCG Grand Final in 1954 Footscray V Melbourne with my brother and Uncles was the pinnacle of football excitement albeit I never had to pay to get in or work the Lolly Tray. I was there just as a crazy 7 year old fan as the siren went.
Those great "doggies" Charlie Sutton, Teddy Whitten, Jack Collins etc. was just my best ever day out.
Running onto the ground as the final siren went, was the loudest and most exciting noise I had ever heard.
"I did hear "the Roar" in 54 being at the "G" to see the "doggies" win their first Grand Final.
I can now can proudly say that I have been to their first and second Grand Final just 62 years apart.

I will always be grateful for having the memory "Go doggies"

Back