Movie I just watched Blade Runner for the first time ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Time and place people!

Look at the year BR was made... then look what Sci-Fi films had come before it and what Sci-Fi films were released after it.

BR presented ideas, concepts and effects that would go on to inspire other Sci-Fi directors and movies for the next 2 decades... hence its respect.

first thing i noticed were the old school tvs in the shop window for a year that's supposedly 2019.

i wonder what sci fi flicks will offer in terms of such props for a movie set in 2030. we'll probably be laughing at our 50' flat screens :D

Just watched it for first time.

Not overly impressed. Had heard great things about it. Whilst the film presented well (especially for a film some 26 years old) the story itself did not capture me.

I understand that there are a great many themes below the film's surface, of which I picked up on several. But this is not enough.

However, I get the feeling that this film will be like so any pop songs -- whilst first listening is not that striking, it grows after more exposure. I will watch it again some time in the future and will likely be more impressed then.

In the meantime, I give this film 3 stars.

(BTW if you are interested in this film, I highly recommend (after watching) that you check out the Wikipedia page relating to it. Wow.)

Just watched it for first time.

Not overly impressed. Had heard great things about it. Whilst the film presented well (especially for a film some 26 years old) the story itself did not capture me.

I understand that there are a great many themes below the film's surface, of which I picked up on several. But this is not enough.

However, I get the feeling that this film will be like so any pop songs -- whilst first listening is not that striking, it grows after more exposure. I will watch it again some time in the future and will likely be more impressed then.

In the meantime, I give this film 3 stars.

(BTW if you are interested in this film, I highly recommend (after watching) that you check out the Wikipedia page relating to it. Wow.)
I'd heartily recommend giving it another go. First time I watched it I thought it was incredibly boring. Watched it again and while it's probably not Top 10 worthy, it's very worthy of a spot in the Top 20.

I'd heartily recommend giving it another go. First time I watched it I thought it was incredibly boring. Watched it again and while it's probably not Top 10 worthy, it's very worthy of a spot in the Top 20.

I plan to, MWNN. :thumbsu:

I find that science fiction films generally need a second viewing, especially given that I generally only watch movies when under the influence of alcohol. ;)

I can see a lot to like about the film, and the 'slow pace' of it was not a concern at all.

I was more disappointed by the sheer... I'm not sure... plainness?... of the film overall. Whilst some parts made you think, and there were some memorable quotes throughout ('these moments will soon be lost... like tears in the rain'), there was also far too much ambiguity for my liking. In 111 minutes, more could have been said.

Reading the Wikipedia page suggests that I'm not the only person who feels this way, particularly in regards to the main protagonist.

I dont like it but then again Im not a science fiction fan. I hated 2001: A Space Odyssey and detest Star Trek. I dont mind the original three Star Wars movies but the others bore me sh*tless.

This movie is supposed to be one of all the time classic sci fi movies and as a sci fi fan I think it is so over-rated it isn't funny. Harrison gives a pre-Hans Solo warm up. But really the whole thing is absurd.

This movie is supposed to be one of all the time classic sci fi movies and as a sci fi fan I think it is so over-rated it isn't funny. Harrison gives a pre-Hans Solo warm up. But really the whole thing is absurd.

It was made after the first two Star Wars movies...?

The highlight for me was Daryl

blade_runner.jpg

but should have been Hannah

daryl_hannah_gallery_55.jpg

I tried to watch a few of the old 'classics' in the past 12 months.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next - Awesome movie. Great story, interesting characters and great acting.

A Clockwork Orange - Weird. I didn't hate it, but I can't say I enjoyed it either. Just a strange, unique movie.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Horrible. Bored the hell out of me. Only mildly interesting in parts because I now understood the parodies I'd seen of it.

Blade Runner - Horribly over rated. Quite boring, crap characters, ordinary story. Agree that Daryl Hanah's part was the highlight.

The Godfather - Booooring. Might have been good in it's time but it doesn't hold up anymore.

The Shining - Was a bit slow. Had a bit of suspense but I really didn't like that characters much.

Alien - Slow, boring, unexciting, predictable.

The movie comprises a big part of my HSC English Exam paper.

I will be bored out of my wits, and there are no study guides for a while either, as my year is starting off a new syllabus.

Blade Runner is one of the best science-fiction films from Hollywood and one of the best sci-fi from the history of cinema.

It asks questions of what it is to be human, specifically identity and death, from the point of view of a non-human. Aesthetically groundbreaking, amazing soundtrack from Vangelis, loads of cool scenes, memorable dialogue, unforgettable characters, a film that poses more questions than answers. What more do you want?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back