I like GWS but hate Gold Coast. Anyone feel the same?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was initially more in favour of a team on the Gold Coast than GWS mainly due to the Gold Coast being a more desirable location but GWS have been more impressive in their first year with the way they have played and the way they have set up the club.

Having experienced hard nosed coaches like Sheedy and Choco has helped their younger players adjust quickly to the demands of AFL and instilled a real tough, competitive style of play. Gold Coast on the other hand had a rookie AFL coach in McKenna and have been pretty soft at times getting blown away by big margins and being uncompetitive. Not necessarily all McKenna's fault though, their recruiting probably hasn't been as good as GWS.

I like the way that GWS have gone about it more and am very interested to see what they do at the end of the year to continue this strategy. Using the leadership and coaching of senior players from other clubs while using their older bodies to protect the kids is a very inspired move.

I don't hate either club yet, because they aren't winning, but I'll hate them both equally in time.

I don't know why but GWS feel more like a real team. The jumpers that Gold Coast wore makes them feel like a cheap manufactured product.

This is a huge part of it for me.

The uniform itself and the song have a significant impact on how likeable a new team is IMO. Personally, I think GWS's jumper is fantastic (I love the colour orange though ;)) and like most others believe their song is one of the best for a new club.

The Suns on the other hand, while they have some fantastic players, have (once again, just my opinion) an ugly jumper that just screams "NEW MODERN FRANCHISE," and a song that rivals the Power (and the Eagles, depending on your taste) for the worst 80's themed football tune.

These two elements alone have made me appreciate the Giants that little bit more so far. That being said, I had the Suns tipped yesterday. May stop me from getting a perfect 9. :mad:

I note Furuncle does not mention the early flag success of Fremantle, who signed away young talent for successful players, or of the Brisbane Bears, who entered with a ready-made team of castoffs and spuds, Im sorry *experienced players*.

I also note he does not mention how players like Leon Davis made it clear they werent going to GWS, even when off contract, and his acute lack of deals of the alleged established players for draft picks deals that GWS rejected (after what happened with Rischatelli, clubs realised shopping their good players for picks had major risks).

I'll break it to you quietly - the good players didnt want to go to GWS, and we paid massive overs for Scully, Ward and Davis.

As to being uncompetitive, I recommend reading this thread, around pages 8 to 10. That would be halftime at the Carlton game, where the Blues - who think they are a top 4 side - were leading by 2 goals, until we ran out of big bodies and bench via injuries.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941577&page=10

So, in short, Furuncle is the kind of useless spud whose hate I look forward to relishing for many years.
Mate, the Blues treated that game like a practise match. They got the four points and had a nice hit out. But you guys certainly did have a crack, which was good to see.

Sorry, if I offended you. I was being a negative arse wipe.

I was mainly referring to the Gold Coast Heat. I probably shouldn't lump the Giants in with them. I watched with interest the AFL's implementation of a franchise on the Gold Coast and was thoroughly disgusted at the path they chose. I didn't even pay much attention to GWS coming on board. I just assumed they did the same thing as the Gold Coast Magic.

Your points are fair enough about the difficulty of attracting experienced players and paying "massive overs" for the players they persuaded to shift. I guess my anger is misdirected. You guys are doing whatever you can to get a team up and going. My hat is off to GWS. West Sydney was always going to be a harder sell for prospective recruits than the sandy beaches of Coolangatta.

I suppose I'm pissed off at the AFL for messing up the comp. They should've done more to direct experienced, ready-made types to the new clubs. They didn't have to be stars. Just a few more strong bodies so they could compete on an equal footing and not get blown away by the good teams.

The 'Brisbane Bears', led by Paul Cronin and Chris Skase was a debacle. Just pure greed by the VFL who wanted the $5 million license fee and didn't give a s**t about helping them to succeed. The Victorian clubs sent their rejects north.

Fremantle was mismanaged from the start. They made poor choices. I'm not suggesting you follow the same path. I just think the AFL could've made a smoother transition for the new clubs. Instead they've created a massive imbalance in the competition - 2 new teams who are barely competitive, but who are over-loaded with young guns, many of whom will probably walk out and sign with the rich southern clubs in a few years time.

I don't hate either club. I think the branding is fantastic. Great colours, jumpers, songs, boutique stadiums. It's all good. I want you guys to succeed. I'm just not sure the AFL went about it the right way. I'm not sure that throwing so many draft picks your way over 1-2 seasons was the right way. Maybe it could've been staggered a bit more.

Maybe there is no "proper" way to introduce 2 new teams and these are competitive imbalances we had to have.

Also, note how GWS' pre-listed players have outshone those of the GC.

Josh Toy was meant to be huge and is barely cracking a game, while Jeremy Cameron is establishing himself as one of the best KPFs in the league.

I can't stand either of them. Ravaged the draft for everyone else for two years; been given outrageous concessions that other 'expansion' teams could only have dreamt about that could ultimately make them powerhouses of the comp in 5 or so years, much to the complete apathy of the people living in the areas they 'represent'; skewed the fixture for a lucky couple of teams who draw both these clubs twice a season in the next couple of years to go potentially an extra 8 premiership points ahead of other finals contenders; have compromised the integrity of the competition by skewing the draw as such and diluting the talent pool even further... Hate them both TBH.

Absolutely this.

Codswallop.

As far as I see it, Ablett was an elite player at Geelong, he has actually got better at Gold Coast. Why I think he has got better is that he has had to develop leadership skills, and he aint doing too bad.

How do we assess these two teams ?. Gold Coast won three games in their first season, what do we say if GWS only win one game in their first season ?.

Gold Coast have 2nd year blues ?.

For me I like both sides, just think Bluey should never have been given the senior job.

Totally agree with that ... the GC administration should have appointed an experienced ex AFL coach as this young squad needs a teaching mentor, not a young coach with the L plates on, just learning the coaching game himself.

while Jeremy Cameron is establishing himself as one of the best KPFs in the league.

I wouldn't go that far. He's been very impressive but opposition teams have been taking the opportunity to test out young defenders on him knowing that even if he kicks 4, it doesn't really matter.

I hate the GC name and their jumper, but I've had some damn fun watching them this year. The games vs Essendon and Fremantle have been a couple of highlights for me so far this year. Also, I have enjoyed watching Hunt improve dramatically to the point where he's a genuinely dangerous player, Ablett just be an all round freak as well as some quality kids like Bennell and Swallow develop.

Watching Brennan is a lowlight however...

2 new teams who are barely competitive, but who are over-loaded with young guns, many of whom will probably walk out and sign with the rich southern clubs in a few years time.

Furuncle,

On that point, go read this thread

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851186

Players with contract extentions
David Swallow - 2014
Zac Smith - 2013
Dion Prestia - 2013
Dan Gorringe - 2013
Charlie Dixon - 2012
Rory Thompson- 2013
Sam Day - 2014
Seb Tape - 2013
Harley Bennell - 2014
Tom Lynch - 2014
Jacob Gilbee - 2013
Trent McKenzie- 2013
Karmichael Hunt - 2014
Jaeger O'Meara - 2014 (can't play until 2013)
Luke Russell - 2014
Brandon Matera- 2014

Bennell also just re-signed.

Both expansion clubs will lose some players - but less than casual fans think.

I like GC, Bluey went from assistant at Pies to GC coach, Obree is an assistant, Fraser plays there and we got compensation for that and Stanley and Iles are ex-Pies who I hope do well.

GWS are still a chance to take a Collingwood player, so I'll reserve my judgement on them.

GC blew too much money on 1 player for my liking, and it's got nothing to do with them targeting a Geelong player.

I would still feel the same way if it had been a non-Geelong player being paid 10 million for 5 years. Atrociously bad management of money that belongs to all clubs in the league.

Furthermore I don't like the smugness "bluey" displayed on a Sunday Footy Show interview around July/August 2010 when asked about how confident he was to sign Ablett.

And last but not least GC is a tacky soulless touristy shithole. I could have stomached Gary leaving had he gone to play for an important region such as GWS, a place with roughly 3 million inhabitants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't stand either of them. Ravaged the draft for everyone else for two years; been given outrageous concessions that other 'expansion' teams could only have dreamt about that could ultimately make them powerhouses of the comp in 5 or so years, much to the complete apathy of the people living in the areas they 'represent'; skewed the fixture for a lucky couple of teams who draw both these clubs twice a season in the next couple of years to go potentially an extra 8 premiership points ahead of other finals contenders; have compromised the integrity of the competition by skewing the draw as such and diluting the talent pool even further... Hate them both TBH.

Agree 100%.

That being said, I can't help but go for them when they take it up to teams. That'll go away as soon as they aren't one of the bottom teams though and them winning isn't a novelty.

Plus I like K Hunt.

Quite the opposite actually. Hard to like anything involved with Sheedy and Williams.

Bingo.

Sheedy is such an attention whore. He is not their coach rather their PR team. Sheedy comes from the world is against us school of thought.

He stayed to long at Essendon and now he is clammering for all the attention that he can get at GWS.

Furuncle,

On that point, go read this thread

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851186

Players with contract extentions
David Swallow - 2014
Zac Smith - 2013
Dion Prestia - 2013
Dan Gorringe - 2013
Charlie Dixon - 2012
Rory Thompson- 2013
Sam Day - 2014
Seb Tape - 2013
Harley Bennell - 2014
Tom Lynch - 2014
Jacob Gilbee - 2013
Trent McKenzie- 2013
Karmichael Hunt - 2014
Jaeger O'Meara - 2014 (can't play until 2013)
Luke Russell - 2014
Brandon Matera- 2014

Bennell also just re-signed.

Both expansion clubs will lose some players - but less than casual fans think.
I like how he said 'rich Southern clubs'. Like Carlton and Collingwood have different salary caps to the rest of the league. Some will walk, but not too many...and why would they?

Is struggle to hate GWS as an organisation because I like the way they go about it, Grubby Allen and Tom Scumbag can **** off though. There is a fine line between arrogance and integrity.

Isnt this expansion great!? 9 games, wall to wall football action all weekend. Stuffing our faces with AFL matches from far flung locations in front of 10k people from Friday to Sunday.

I like watching the Suns play. They can be very exciting when they are playing well. One of the main reasons I enjoy watching them play is because of Ablett and Hunt but I have actually realised recently that they are more enjoyable to watch when Ablett isn't playing. They actually play as a team and work hard for each other. When Gaz is out there they just pass it to him every time.

GWS I haven't seen much of but I have been impressed the times I have seen them. They have been a lot more competitive then GC were last year. I think it is because they don't have a superstar like Ablett so they play more as a team then GC do. They are also better coached which i like.

In terms of the young guys my favourites are Swallow and Bennell for GC, and Coniglio and Greene for GWS.

The older guys, Ablett and Hunt for GC, Ward(still young) and Davis(also fairly young) for GWS.

I dont dislike either of the teams, I support GC when they aren't playing the Lions and i usually go for GWS because they are the young underdogs and it is good when they are doing well against more established teams.

I must say though I don't really like GC when the Lions vs them and it will probably be the same when Brisbane play GWS.

Overall, I like GC slightly better because they are the local team and out of the 2 teams, my 5 favourite players are mostly on the GC with 4 out of the 5 on the Suns team. So I have to say I like Gold Coast better but I don't dislike either team.

P.S. I do like the Giants name and jersey ect. better then the Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back