10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I think Rage is amazing, but

The band and song title is only shown once at the very start of the film clip

How many billions of times does one tune into Rage, half way through a song, really like that song and think what the hell is this amazing track? How can I know the name? Ok there's no real way, unless you clobber some of the lyrics into a search engine. Unless you're there at the very start of the song, you're s**t out of luck. Massive sad face

They need to either:

A: Watermark the band and the song the whole way through or;

B: Display the band and the song title as the song is finishing

This "once only" s**t has pissed me off for 35 years. Be better MTV

Last edited:
In recent times you can easily refer to the rage playlist on their website (likewise ABC's radio like Jazz). It's a nonissue nowadays. You can also use this to look ahead and determine whether the programming might interest you or not.

Back in the day it probably helped viewers pay attention. If you knew the title and maker of the music piece was going to be briefly shown early on, you made sure to look up. It probably helped me become obsessed with music in the first place, as pre-internet those Saturday mornings as a kid was the most accessible resource for following the week-to-week charts, you didn't want to miss a moment (the chart numbers were just as important). I kind of like that Rage doesn't have a continual watermark compared to some of the other mv programs of the time. Shazam sorta culture is nice, but things being less convenient or counterintuitive can have their charm as well. I think we could all do with a few elusive songs to hunt down like some epic quest, it has a certain romance.

Your point about reprising the watermark as the song is finishing is a good idea in theory, but in practice and in terms of viewer suspense I can see why they might opt not to.

Basically, I feel your pain over the years, but nowadays if you can type some lyrics into the search engine, you can also hit up the relevant rage playlist.

Last edited:

I've never really considered it a problem because since about 2002 the playlist has appeared on the Rage website. I check them every Friday afternoon to see if the shows are worth recording, especially the Saturday night show.

In recent times you can easily refer to the rage playlist on their website (likewise ABC's radio like Jazz). It's a nonissue nowadays. You can also use this to look ahead and determine whether the programming might interest you or not.

Back in the day it probably helped viewers pay attention. If you knew the title and maker of the music piece was going to be briefly shown early on, you made sure to look up. It probably helped me become obsessed with music in the first place, as pre-internet those Saturday mornings as a kid was the most accessible resource for following the week-to-week charts, you didn't want to miss a moment (the chart numbers were just as important). I kind of like that Rage doesn't have a continual watermark compared to some of the other mv programs of the time. Shazam sorta culture is nice, but things being less convenient or counterintuitive can have their charm as well. I think we could all do with a few elusive songs to hunt down like some epic quest, it has a certain romance.

Your point about reprising the watermark as the song is finishing is a good idea in theory, but in practice and in terms of viewer suspense I can see why they might opt not to.

Basically, I feel your pain over the years, but nowadays if you can type some lyrics into the search engine, you can also hit up the relevant rage playlist.

I often refer to that, but what if you don't have the Internet right in front of you at the time

Pretty much a moot point these days with phones, probably more of a legacy complaint than one for today.

Still irks me though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back