Analysis I LOVE the BS snipes and snubs from the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerard Whateley has more than fulfilled his ‘ignore Hawthorn’ obligations this week, and his naked hatred of us — and fierce commitment to giving us no air time — is starting to erode my respect for him. Churlish is the word that springs to mind.

Monday: Zero mention of Hawthorn beating Geelong on his radio show on Monday. Same deal on AFL360.

Tueaday: On AFL360, the topic of Clarkson as a candidate for coach of the year came up during the ‘Real or Overreaction’ segment. Of course, it was the last topic posed, and Whateley completely brushed over it — said he wasn’t sure why it was on the list. Following ‘Players’ Night’, Mitch Lewis was profiled during the ‘NAB Rising Star’ segment, but no follow-on comment was made by Whateley or Robbo.

Gents, perhaps it’s time for a Change.org petition.

Gerard Whateley has more than fulfilled his ‘ignore Hawthorn’ obligations this week, and his naked hatred of us — and fierce commitment to giving us no air time — is starting to erode my respect for him. Churlish is the word that springs to mind.

Monday: Zero mention of Hawthorn beating Geelong on his radio show on Monday. Same deal on AFL360.

Tueaday: On AFL360, the topic of Clarkson as a candidate for coach of the year came up during the ‘Real or Overreaction’ segment. Of course, it was the last topic posed, and Whateley completely brushed over it — said he wasn’t sure why it was on the list. Following ‘Players’ Night’, Mitch Lewis was profiled during the ‘NAB Rising Star’ segment, but no follow-on comment was made by Whateley or Robbo.

Start it. The morons need it.

Stop it. You're sounding like one of those idiots on the Hawks Facebook page.

View attachment 714332

... I think Michael should stick to athletics.. o_O

Wow... this just highlights how much work the modern day Journo does before writing an ‘expert opinion’. The Freo game wasn’t even close either, we won by 5 f***ing goals.

The reason I come on here is because I get far better information and discussion than I do from the media.

Top, An interesting post although I think it's a stretch to say 'Clarko despises the media'. It's just he doesn't suffer fools lightly and rarely engages in any of the media's BS narratives.

A recently retired TV producer (and Hawks supporter) who I've known for many years told me a while back that Clarko/the Hawks were/are elusive and guarded with the media which he suspects is mainly attributed to some past misrepresentations including a few incidents involving Clarko with a few prominent industry journo's. I recall in summary he mentioned:

Aug 2009 - Clarko abuses Matthew Lloyd.
Despite Clarko's written and verbal apologies to the EFC and Lloyd, the media (specifically M Robinson) hounded him for months after the incident. Then in 2013, after Clarko had some choice words with opposition players at a Box Hill game, Robinson followed up with a long sensational article that included 'Clarko's Rap Sheet'.
Nov 2010/Mar 2011 - Caro reports Buddy Franklin incoherent at Melb Cup and Grand Prix.
For some reason C Wilson had an obsession at the time of reporting Buddy's off field activities and when the Hawks wouldn't respond she labeled Clarko a coward. They have rarely spoken since.
Oct 2013 - Mike Sheehan - Clarko new Eagles coach.
About a week prior to the Grand Final Sheehan's headline was' Clarkson signs with Eagles'. Clarko was livid and 48 hours after appeared on live TV with Sheehan, and to paraphrase, he said he was surprised their long term close relationship was not worth more than a BS headline!
April 2015 - Clarko's altercation with a Port fan.
Despite a police report, full AFL investigation, support from Port and an apology from the instigators certain journo's (namely D Barrett) continued to critisise Clarko's handling of the situation. Mr Barrett and others wrote articles asking how a senior coach of a 'family club' can continually be involved in violent and abusive behavior...
Oct 2017 - Tracy Gaundry and Richard Garvey's resignations, Kennett's reinstatement.
The AFL and related media had a field day with this. The AFL were opposed to Gaundry's appointment from the outset. The second day on the job her husband has a heart attack that nearly kills him. Understandably with a limited focus on her new job she resigned. Despite the Hawks releasing a media statement explaining the boards recent movements and Gaundry's circumstances the media to this day have never posted a retraction claiming she was sacked.

In terms of information and transparency with members I agree with your sentiment but I also think the Hawks website initiatives such as HawksTV shows, Fitz & Chips, Around the Club, Documentaries etc., while not professional productions, are at least an attempt to engage members as opposed to the tabloid style, click-bait rubbish that is sadly 90% of what the AFL industry media produce.
Wonderful and insightful post , very impressed with the summary. Thank you , brings a clarity to my thoughts of how Clarko and the Hawks have been treated in the past. The talentless press we have here in Australia is highlighted by the agenda driven fools , much like court jesters of old, in the media supposedly reporting on our beloved game.

All those names just highlight just how poor AFL media is in Victoria. How slobbo still has a job is honestly amazing.

Clarkos presser if you watch closely is his way of connecting with fans through media.

Yes I find Clarko's post-game and pre-game presser's compulsory viewing.
It appears to me that he is talking to the fans and I love it.

The club is really keeping the hype-train rolling along this week now that we have a few wins in a row. Four re-signings so far this week plus the video of Andy. I feel like they’ve been banking some of this news, only to release it at the right time to keep the momentum going.

Did you see how fast he turned off the "Is Clarko Coach of the Season"?

Of course he's not (at Rnd 19), but it was telling how quickly he shot that one down - couldn't hide how much he was pi**ed off.
It was very telling. Gerard even said something about it not belonging on the run sheet.

I hate that naked partisanship has become an integral part of the AFL media landscape. And I hate that there are so many Geelong supporters in positions of power — Craig Hutchison, Gerard Whateley, Hamish McLachlan, Anthony Hudson, and Sam Newman.

Am I missing anyone?

I still remember hudson making an absolute prat of himself before the 2008 GF bating dermie etc.so sure of a victory

SEN replayed the whole grand final day on the sunday and if little huddo was listening, hed be embarrassed at his hubris

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still remember hudson making an absolute prat of himself before the 2008 GF bating dermie etc.so sure of a victory

SEN replayed the whole grand final day on the sunday and if little huddo was listening, hed be embarrassed at his hubris

Anyone got the David King lead up to 13/14/15?

That was classic TV.

Only one who picked us all three times would have been Mark Maclure

I also love the highlight reels on AFL.com.

I just watched the Hawks vs Geelong highlights and going off that you'd have thought the cats won by 50pts. Apparently any of their goals are highlights, bit ours must have been lucky.

Lol yeah I noticed that...Cats goal, Cats goal... oh there's our 4th.... Cats goal, Cats goal.... yep there's out 9th.

It was very telling. Gerard even said something about it not belonging on the run sheet.

I hate that naked partisanship has become an integral part of the AFL media landscape. And I hate that there are so many Geelong supporters in positions of power — Craig Hutchison, Gerard Whateley, Hamish McLachlan, Anthony Hudson, and Sam Newman.

Am I missing anyone?

General observation/opinion.
I think most people overlook the fact producers and directors of these footy shows have a large say into the narratives and content of what's presented. I also suggest some people are seduced by marketing and forget the primary objective of all media/journalism is to 'produce a story or make comment that will create further discussion and debate.'

While some shows have set formats and/or segments it's the run sheets (approved by the producer and controlled by the director) that predominately determine what the host and presenters discuss and for how long.
I don't think it's wrong some journalists or commentators have specific allegiances or bias because in my view perhaps it's the only freedom they have away from the direction of others.

My son calls it grumpy old man syndrome as I stopped watching most shows on a regular basis a few years back given they have generally evolved into forums of tedious often irrelevant noise.
All of us already know recent results, updated ladder positions, player injuries, trade news, the latest controversy etc. via other media platforms which is why said shows in my view offer very little in terms of insight, analysis or entertainment.
However I, my friends and others must be in the minority as there obviously is a market for all these shows - otherwise they wouldn't exist...

In closing I leave you with Scotty Palmer's famous tongue-in-cheek quote (which was actually from his father):
'If you haven't heard a good rumour or written half a story by 10am, just make something up!'

Anyone that's followed football closely should know how much Clarkson values loyalty and honesty, he's committed to the club and unless the club gives him the flick he will not burn his honor for a feel extra bucks, doesnt matter how many bloody times this crap resufraces year after year the media are still clueless to basic foundations Clarkson has set at Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back