Analysis I LOVE the BS snipes and snubs from the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Were you at that game?....The reason I ask is, if you were, then you would know that there was so much more to it. The fact that Barney alone got thrown under the bus & made the lone scape-goat was a joke....Plenty of ex-players/commentators playing 'stacks on the mill' on that one in the press, let me tell you.
Remember it well. We were standing just behind the Hawk race and remember seeing a player walk toward us with the trainers. You could see blood all over his face before you could tell who it was. It was Barney, he got hammered after belting Bruns.
Was a horribly spiteful match, all the nastiness pretty much staring with Jacko's antics and attempts to destroy Langers and Conan. I remember Bruns sniping a few of our blokes with cheap shots.
In saying all that, what Barney did was very wrong, and he regrets it deeply.

Actually NO....You see I was at that game & can give you the full run-down on events leading up to that incident.

Whacko Jacko fully lost the plot & his s**t that day & was doing his damnedest to try & knock both Ayresy & Langers out after a stray punch, in attempting to spoil the ball got him in the side of the head....I had the perfect view of the entire incident.

From that point onwards that game became a powder-keg ready to explode....Jacko was no longer interested in playing football & had lost all control. Hafey didn't have the gumption to get the moron off that field....Thereafter, spot-fires took hold, including Bruns & Scratcher Neale putting Tuck & Wallace down with 'cheap-shots' to the solar-plexus in the center square after the ball was well & truly down-field.

No one is excusing what Barney did thereafter....But if you were there at that game & felt the atmosphere & all the pre-ambles that lead up to his striking out at Bruns, then you'd know why he did it.

Funny thing was, that Steve Hocking - who broke Barney's nose in retaliation - got zero media attention or condemnation....In fact, he was applauded as a hero!
Ha, I didn't read this before my previous comments.
We were both DEFINITELY at the ground.

Yep it was bad....Never seen anther game like it before nor since....The way Jacko lost it that day should have seen him cop a life-time ban from the game.

Yep it was bad....Never seen anther game like it before nor since....The way Jacko lost it that day should have seen him cop a life-time ban from the game.
We're you at the game in 85 or 86, when we had an absolute stinker against the Dees at Prinny Park?
Derm got towelled up by David Williams.
And, where you stand during those days?

Hey, I was there, too. I didn't see either of you there!

Yes, it was an explosive game, and if they had a MRP then, most of the players would be facing direct referral to the Tribunal. Jacko would have got a 12 month suspension.

Very sad to see Lethal Leigh had a great career marred by being deregistered for 4 weeks, followed by assault charges in the Magistrates Court.

We're you at the game in 85 or 86, when we had an absolute stinker against the Dees at Prinny Park?
Derm got towelled up by David Williams.
And, where you stand during those days?

Williams?....Thought it was Grinter myself....Never missed a game in melb LES from 1982-1989. Spoilt-rotten I know....Always up on the 2nd tier on the wing of the old Hawthorn stand....Right in line with the center bounce old chap.

Williams?....Thought it was Grinter myself....Never missed a game in melb LES from 1982-1989. Spoilt-rotten I know....Always up on the 2nd tier on the wing of the old Hawthorn stand....Right in line with the center bounce old chap.
I think I may have posted a story in the Bay once about what we witnessed after the game at the Hawthorn race that day. Not sure if you saw it.
Wont repeat it on this board.

Sam's $1000 fine is all due to Slobbo's agenda. If I was Sam, I would threaten to throttle the campaigner

Cant link to radio and tv or personal perception. And even if I could, I wouldn't bother as it wouldn't get anywhere.

I've said my piece about this victim mentality creeping in before and it didn't go down well. All I can say is my outlook must be more 'glass-half-full' than I thought because I've been enjoying the media's perception of Hawthorn more than ever before and I seem to be in the minority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant link to radio and tv or personal perception. And even if I could, I wouldn't bother as it wouldn't get anywhere.

I've said my piece about this victim mentality creeping in before and it didn't go down well. All I can say is my outlook must be more 'glass-half-full' than I thought because I've been enjoying the media's perception of Hawthorn more than ever before and I seem to be in the minority.
You'd have to admit that a lot more airtime has been given to discussion on the Mitchell incident than our win. In fact mentions of our win seem to only have been used as brief segues to talking about Mitchell's knee.

It was a dominant performance against the top of the ladder side which has plenty of influence on the rest of the season and I'm sure there's plenty more to talk about it (the game), the Hawks and Freo than there is on Mitchell.

Even as I write this SEN are still talking about the Mitchell incident despite the punishment having been accepted like all the others and the announcement having occurred ~21 hours ago. It's got more air time than any other incident that the MRP adjudicated on this week despite it only being a fine and others being worth weeks and involving the Brownlow medal favourite.

Agreed. Some people here can't stand a negative press piece against the Hawks but don't bat an eye about the other clubs negative stuff. Every club gets it between the eyes at some stage and we get it no more or less than others.

Most commentators are singing our praises right now. It's only a couple of click baiters who seem to get up the noses of a few people here. Best thing to do is not watch, read, listen or react to them.

Agreed. Some people here can't stand a negative press piece against the Hawks but don't bat an eye about the other clubs negative stuff. Every club gets it between the eyes at some stage and we get it no more or less than others.

Most commentators are singing our praises right now. It's only a couple of click baiters who seem to get up the noses of a few people here. Best thing to do is not watch, read, listen or react to them.

I can generally tune out, but it's when the media/commentators start influencing gameday that I get frustrated.

'Potential to cause injury' used in the Hodge/Lewis MRP sanctions would not have been applied had the media taken a reasonable approach instead of meltdown mode.

Bold news grab of the main Southern newspaper in Tas, in the copy stand, outside my local shop as I drove by this morning, "Sam gets away with it" or similar I mean seriously.

Not Hawks Flex Muscles or GWS back in the 8. Just sensationalist tripe.

Can someone please explain to me what was wrong or bad about about this article.
Sammy needs to find another way of dealing with players running at him.

Incoherant and incorrect

For a start the walker mitchell collision did not end the game for walker. Thats a very big part of the case blown to the schisen

Robbo would probably not want to run into Mitch or Clarko in the next little bit. What a sack of s**t. What he has just said goes beyond the pale. I'm just ******* flabbergasted.

Robbo would probably not want to run into Mitch or Clarko in the next little bit. What a sack of s**t. What he has just said goes beyond the pale. I'm just ******* flabbergasted.

Robbo is a squealing fat banshee bitch....With more sand in his vagina than a pro-lapsed mermaid.

If we knock the $wines over he'll be squealing louder than a pig on an abattoir ramp.

Hauled his fat carcass up onto his high horse and was adamant that Mitch didn't have a 'technique' problem but that he was deliberately going out of his way to hurt players.

Showed another one against GWS which admittedly alongside the other 2 wasn't a great look, however the amount of venom in his voice was something to behold.

Anyway, whatever. Life goes on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back