Mega Thread "I need to vent" thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

That story made me think of being forced to regress to a far simpler life without the niceties of modern life. A movie script gets real
Actually feel as though I am living in a movie script sometimes now. The eerie quietness of the city, the deliberate social distancing both indoors and outside, empty supermarket shelves, no access to anywhere beyond your own city and the social isolation along with a complete lack of sport and public entertainment, all combine to create a sci fi type atmosphere without the excitement normally associated with an alternative reality.

My friends in Cambodia, Thailand and India tell me that many locals have turned on them, becoming rather xenophobic in their belief that foreigners are responsible for spreading the virus. Notices have appeared in some buildings informing foreigners that they are not welcome. Not necessarily a nice time to be stranded abroad.

Actually feel as though I am living in a movie script sometimes now. The eerie quietness of the city, the deliberate social distancing both indoors and outside, empty supermarket shelves, no access to anywhere beyond your own city and the social isolation along with a complete lack of sport and public entertainment, all combine to create a sci fi type atmosphere without the excitement normally associated with an alternative reality.

My friends in Cambodia, Thailand and India tell me that many locals have turned on them, becoming rather xenophobic in their belief that foreigners are responsible for spreading the virus. Notices have appeared in some buildings informing foreigners that they are not welcome. Not necessarily a nice time to be stranded abroad.
“without the excitement normally associated with an alternative reality.”

What is normal about an alternative reality?
Genuinely interested.

Never taken hallucinogens? LSD, mushrooms etc? (Perhaps I should have said 'that you would expect to be associated with an alternative reality'.)
Never.

In the immortal words of Cosmic Psychos front man Ross Knight -
“I drink beer, I don’t smoke joints. I kick goals, I don’t kick points.”

How can you be straight and play this stuff let alone listen to it minus some kind of reality shifter?
Plays best live with a few beers under your belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference is Legal v illegal drugs.
Jmac, rightly, partakes the legal variety.
As indeed do the vast majority of law abiding citizens who see nothing wrong with alcohol but have no understanding of marijuana nor have any experience with other illicit drugs.

It’s not a question of legality for me. I’ve just never been interested.

It’s an interesting position. The legality argument varies with location. No beer in Saudi but plenty of bongs in Cali?

I think it’s a bit piss weak to rely on legislation to guide you.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s not a question of legality for me. I’ve just never been interested.
Same same.
I like watching society, and it’s little quirks.
There is a minority of people who find it exciting to partake illegal drugs.
Much the same as those people now being fined for not adhering to the new laws in place for fighting Coronavirus.
Interesting.

Same same.
Much the same as those people now being fined for not adhering to the new laws in place for fighting Coronavirus.
Interesting.
Comparing people who take illicit drugs with those being fined for not adhering to the new laws in place for fighting coronavirus! What a load of rubbish!

Marijuana is comparable with alcohol and is legal in many places in the world. Hallucinogens and the likes of ecstasy are also largely recreational drugs not regularly taken but ultimately are probably far less damaging to society than alcohol. The hard drugs are largely the preserve of people who have not had it easy in life and don't have the kind of support enjoyed by most in society.

You might like watching society but you certainly lack anything more than a very superficial understanding of it.

Have not been on the site much lately, so may have missed related conversations: is there a user default to switch from black background to light background for the site?

Black background is a moronic default. It is much slower to read. The experience is worse than hunting for a dropped coin on the manky carpet at The Seaview Ballroom (did like the sprung dance floor, however, to watch bands). The app designer and BF overlords have a special place in TechHell reserved for them.

P.S. FU ottoman and a rub of your big bald head with germicidal Fiesta to keep you safe
So did anyone really go there or did they just think they did?

Same same.
Interesting.

I view it as contrasting fining people who are doing damage to themselves and fining people for how their behaviour might damage other people. It sort of comes together in smoking.

I wouldnt fine someone for smoking but maybe i'd fine them for causing secondary smoking...

Freedom to kill yourself v freedom to be safe from other's behaviour.

Some might say fining for virus related behaviour is the same as smoking - killing yourself and/or killing other people - but some youngsters and fit people might argue that they are willing to risk getting the virus because they think they will overcome it.

You could argue that Caroline Wilson is doing the AFL a favour by saying only 4 clubs are financially viable on their own, but that's the only positive spin I can put on her "analysis". But clubs are openly questioning her article. How can this be? Why is such a gap between what she has written and what some of the clubs are saying?

Is it because we are children and cant be told the truth? Is it because sport is so important that it needs to be covered by a cloak of secrecy?

It would appear that Wilson's column is based on leaked information that was presented to clubs by the AFL. However, how far can you trust Wilson when she is working a job covering a sport that isn't being played? There's only one real story in AFL at the moment and we have probably 10,000 sports writers and pseudo journalists covering it. And yet we still can't manage to establish the true financial status of the league.

So did anyone really go there or did they just think they did?

Down the road were the old Prince of Wales’ hotel rooms: red carpet and wallpaper, mirrors, and coin operated vibrating bed (40 cents for 5 minutes)

$35 p/n

Classy night with my gf

Much better than a 3am drive home to Frankston

A couple of weeks back I posted that the mayor of Fremantle Brad Pettitt - soon to be a Greens candidate - had welcomed cruise ships to fremantle who were having problems finding a port to dock.

The Artania - which carries the flag of Bermuda to escape taxes regulations and the rest of those fiddly bits that restrict profit - was happily heading east to New Zealand but was refused entry.... (see itinerary below) so it came back to Australia and headed to Fremantle because the Brad was so welcoming.

Now it has kindly returned the favour by being the source of most of the virus cases in WA. And has refused to leave port - even though those big strong border folks have told them. Not like how the border folks act with boat people.

Anyway, I dont blame the people on board, although some who are now in hospital refused to return to Germany when provided with a chartered flight.....I do hope the passengers are charged for every single cup of coffee and every second of ventilator use that they receive in perth hospitals. And I also hope that those of us who have paid taxes and charges to build the current WA health system will get a leg in should we catch the virus. Is that possible?

The question is do we return to this little profit making jolly cruise companies who love to escape all forms of regulation but are oh so willing to pass the buck to authorities when the s**t hits the fan.

1585986443153.png

1585986698659.png

I saw that Rugby Union people are saying that the gov't needs to pay the bills although it will cease to exist. Is that a threat or a promise? You would think a quick whip around at the private schools would pay the bills.

If ever a sport should be laid to rest because of this virus it is rugby union.

Two interesting articles from the news.com.au site.... the mouthpiece of rupert murdoch....

Both try to be humorous and both are taking a shot at the measures used to contain the virus. It seems that Rupert is safe and secure in his hideaway somewhere and now wants to get things moving again. Not that Rupe is going to be the only source of discontent. I get a feeling that many younger and fit people are having their patience tested with the restrictions. If the death numbers start to level out, people are going to want to hit the beach and the markets on a sunday again... in fact many of the imports from overseas were doing just that in fremantle this morning...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back