Food, Drink & Dining Out I regularly defend Perth, but ???????

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Let me rephrase it just for you Nicky Webster, seen as your so cool and awesome:

"think the alpha male yuppie stereotype and culture as depicted in the movie American Psycho."

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
Yes and let me reiterate just for you in english and alienese.

You are off the mark, the patrick batemen, nyc, wall street, 1980s, cocaine culture is NOTHING like the culture in perth.

~~ % ) # ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Maybe me being pretentious is all in your thick head.

He never mentioned pretentious....??? Is that the voice inside your head speaking again?

imagesCA5CL8LH.jpg

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Yes and let me reiterate just for you in english and alienese.

You are off the mark, the patrick batemen, nyc, wall street, 1980s, cocaine culture is NOTHING like the culture in perth.

~~ % ) # ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!

Mate Ive worked in the CBD for many years and been to these places and met a lot of people - think Ive seen enough - there are many mutually inclusive characteristics.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Thats cute....:rolleyes:

The Greenhouse and most inner city bars in CBD Perth like the George, Wolfe Lane etc reak of total absolute 100% pure wank. And they flop out this this wank with ridiculous prices for food that really isnt anything special, but make everything sound fancy with weird names. The try to be like Melbourne but in the end they are all just completely cliche' and full of suited big shot pretenders - think Christian Bale in American Psycho.

Here is the trouble. As somebody that has been to Melbourne on an annual trip at least once a year for the last 20 years and really enjoyed the small bars there, I always wanted something similar in Perth. The licensing laws get relaxed (although not enough yet), people open small bars, people go and yet the nay sayers still just say - "not as good as Melbourne."

We are not Melbourne. Melbourne is a great example of a city that has grown organically to be what it is and that is regularly in the top 5 cities in the world to live.

Perth, though has learnt a lot of lessons in recent years and is on the right track. I don't wear a suit to work but plenty of people in the CBD do, so if they turn up for after work drinks in suits, just as people do in Melbourne. They should not be looked down upon as w***ers. These bars are the sort of vibrant change that the city has been crying out for, but I guess miserable sad sacks are just miserable sad sacks.

As a matter of interest Miqar, where do you go for your nights out and what sort of bars, pubs , clubs do float your boat?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I kind of agree with Jim. It's like those people who slag off the art in the city. If it were in Melbourne, people would eat it up and love it. But here, it's seen as an eyesore and a waste of money. Cities need cultural and artistic precincts, and they need instillations and artworks.

This is related. The small bar culture, the laneway heritage... Perth doesn't really have it. But if people are trying to get some off the ground, good on them. 'Moos' are definitely better than FIFO bogans, so what's the catch?

Perth is just a town of whingers. Probably something to do with all those Poms north o' the river.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thats cute....:rolleyes:

The Greenhouse and most inner city bars in CBD Perth like the George, Wolfe Lane etc reak of total absolute 100% pure wank. And they flop out this this wank with ridiculous prices for food that really isnt anything special, but make everything sound fancy with weird names. The try to be like Melbourne but in the end they are all just completely cliche' and full of suited big shot pretenders - think Christian Bale in American Psycho.
Sounds like Melbourne to me.

I don't really get a lot of the complaining about Perth. Its cultural scene isn't that bad for a city of its size. The galleries get good exhibitions, WASO has an interesting programme, there are a ton of good places to eat and have a drink. I don't live there but I have spent a fair bit of time there with work over the years and I have never had any trouble filling up lonely weekends or evenings. Cost of living is high there but that's a function of the WA economy. There are little things that could be better but you can say the same about most places.

It's not Melbourne or Sydney, but if you're going to benchmark any city's cultural scene against one almost three times its size then it's kind of on a hiding to nothing.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
People bag perth because of it's backwater/backward mentality due to it being the most isolated city in the world. I don't need to compare it to melbourne to know that it's s**t.

Aries

Senior List
Apr 2, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Celtic
Well, I'm in my early twenties and I like living in Perth.

Generally, if people want to be bored and unmotivated they'll do so and they'll whinge as if they've been dealt a raw deal.

Ive never had a weekend, (or even a weekday) where I'm going out and have had nowhere decent to go. I will agree with those saying that getting a liquor licence is a joke (only from what I've read and heard) and of course there's some s**t places around. But I really question your needs, or wonder where your frequenting, if your general opinion of the pubs, diners and whatever else your complaining about doesnt appeal.

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
IMO the book is better because it has an entire chapter devoted to Phil Collins and explored his character far better than in the movie, just entering hipster mode for a sec.
I am with you on that

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Sounds like Melbourne to me.

I don't really get a lot of the complaining about Perth. Its cultural scene isn't that bad for a city of its size. The galleries get good exhibitions, WASO has an interesting programme, there are a ton of good places to eat and have a drink. I don't live there but I have spent a fair bit of time there with work over the years and I have never had any trouble filling up lonely weekends or evenings. Cost of living is high there but that's a function of the WA economy. There are little things that could be better but you can say the same about most places.

It's not Melbourne or Sydney, but if you're going to benchmark any city's cultural scene against one almost three times its size then it's kind of on a hiding to nothing.

I live in North Melbourne and its like Invasion of the Body Snatchers every resident under 25 is now a hipster - much to the amusement of old farts like me

Poseidon

Kreuzer Sonata
10k Posts Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2013 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2011 Player Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
Wild Wild West
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Why the hell would you defend Perth? This place is a backwater man, I'm finishing up my degree then hauling ass to lullapalooza!

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Here is the trouble. As somebody that has been to Melbourne on an annual trip at least once a year for the last 20 years and really enjoyed the small bars there, I always wanted something similar in Perth. The licensing laws get relaxed (although not enough yet), people open small bars, people go and yet the nay sayers still just say - "not as good as Melbourne."

The problem is the 'Copy. Paste. Mark-up' approach that is adopted with so many new bars, restaurants etc. I can think of plenty of venues I've been to away from Perth that I really love but if someone copied and pasted the idea then charged twice the price for the same quality food and drink you can get at your average supermarket carpark pub then I wouldn't go there... A plate of chips is a plate of chips, and isn't suddenly worth $12 if you call it pommes, frites etc.

Overregulation and high costs are important factors (the latter being overplayed - ) but lack of competition drives the culture of 'take it or leave it, that'll be $11.50 a pint please'. 'Cool' bars in Melbourne or anywhere else don't have unique themes, great food, music etc. for the hell of it, they do it to develop a reputation and get punters in the door. Perth needs more bars, more restaurants, more pubs, more clubs etc. and for the population to stand up and say 'Right, show me what you've got and if you're any good I'll give you custom'.

I was at a bar just off Wall St in NY about 3 weeks ago that had Hooegarden for $4 a pint, and The Garden in Leederville sells it for what, $18? Pretentious wank.

Oneiros

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, San Jose Sharks
-I should probably tone that down-

And yes, Perth needs a better developed nightlife and entertainment scene like a plant needs sunlight. Hoping the Perth Arena district will help bump things along in that respect. Not happy with where Perth is at now but am definitely happy with the trajectory that it is currently on.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Every time I go to the footy, there's always some a-hole complaining about Perth Arena. When the train comes past, some conservative idiot will pipe up with "jeeez, I dunno about all those angles!" I personally see no issue with the design of the building. It's interesting and it's not some bland, concrete slab like many people want it to be. And even if you hated the design, shouldn't you be happy that Perth has something world class? Ugh.

My tickets to Weezer arrived today, so I'm looking forward to checking the place out out in January.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
I was at a bar just off Wall St in NY about 3 weeks ago that had Hooegarden for $4 a pint, and The Garden in Leederville sells it for what, $18? Pretentious wank.
You cant compare it with NY though. Everything is cheaper over there. Not to mention they get paid less too.

Back